The squad for USA - Canada

Bxl Boy

quote:Originally posted by nolando

...and another thing... doesnt anyone else find that this long of a camp, and dragging everybody down to California for only ONE game is a bit of a waste?

Now that you mention it, yeah... Its the perfect opportunity. Even a game against somone like Barbados would be great, just to get some scoring confidence up. Everyone on the board always says we should be playing more CONCACCAF opposition anyway.

But still, cudos to the CSA for holding a training camp and giving Yallop some real chances to progress. Its good to see four real center backs, the biggest area we are lacking in, in defence. Hopfully this means we will see Hutchinson in Midfield.

If the boys train well, I think we this squad is good enough to beat the Americans...

Guest Jeffery S.

First re length of the camp and the fact that we have no other games, just scrimmages before the match. Frank attributed part of the success of the game vs Spain to the fact that all players had been there a week and were rested, they had practiced a lot, the team was ready. I think he feels a similar result could be had this time round. Further, if you play a game you often miss two practices, the day of the game itself and the next, when starters can't train at top pace. So if you want to train, you can't play too much, it is contradictory.

I will give another thing to Frank. By not having any Vancouver-area players he makes it harder to be accused to favouring the old boys he drinks with. Still, I would have thought Jordan deserved a look too. And Harmse should probably have been called amongst those playing at Whitecaps.

Re Serioux. If you are going to pressure players to get a better club as a condition for being looked up, you can't call a guy without one who hasn't played in months. I don't want to sound cruel, but Adrian could have opted for different ways to break with Millwall (negotiate a leave with option to return) so he could attend to his mother. I think what he did was totally unorthodox, and though it is a merit on a personal level, it can't be rewarded with a Canada call-up over other players who are active now.

We have evidence that Lars turned down Frank claiming physical problems but then playing with his team in the league and UEFA games in the fall. Meaning perhaps he turned down Canada without cause. Fair enough if Frank decides to ignore him now. As for Kenny, I don't think he is at Lars' level, but his next season at Tromso will be key, let's hope they can have a decent year around him and he can prove he is not jinxed (all his teams have been relegated lately).

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Re Serioux. If you are going to pressure players to get a better club as a condition for being looked up, you can't call a guy without one who hasn't played in months. I don't want to sound cruel, but Adrian could have opted for different ways to break with Millwall (negotiate a leave with option to return) so he could attend to his mother. I think what he did was totally unorthodox, and though it is a merit on a personal level, it can't be rewarded with a Canada call-up over other players who are active now.

Well, you could say that for all the Montreal players who have been inactive since the end of september. Serioux was still playing early september, not a big difference(and pretty much all of the players choosen have been inactive for a while now). Considering the fact that Serioux will surely find a club in the next few months and that he's a quality player I think this camp will help him get back in good shape.

I have absolutely no problems with this team being together and training for 2 weeks before playing only 1 game.. We as fans want to see more games and results..results..results... But the fact is the more training and practicing a team can do together,, the more its gonna help them in the longterm,,this is a coaches dream and its very valuable time for a coach like Yallop to earn his paycheck by having the team properly prepared and playing his style.. Much more valuable then the day or 2 they normally have to train before a friendly.. How often do we get a chance to have players from our national team pool train together for a full 2 weeks??? Seems pretty rare to me.. I realize this isn't our full A team as some top guys are still in Europe, but several of these guys are gonna be starting, others will be key subs,, and younger players like Johnson and Hainault can learn a lot from spending 2 weeks training with a national team.. As far as OO,, I don't think there is any conspiracy at all there as he has pretty much showed up for everything so far,, I think this is more of a case of finally getting a chance to look at Friend as our big target forward.. it has been a long time coming...

quote:Originally posted by kelownaguy

I have absolutely no problems with this team being together and training for 2 weeks before playing only 1 game.. We as fans want to see more games and results..results..results... But the fact is the more training and practicing a team can do together,, the more its gonna help them in the longterm,,

And in the short term as well. Knowing this, I would not be surprised if we end up winning this game. In our current overall state, I would not predict a win by Canada over the US. But with this kind of preparation following a long rest for the the off season, I think that anything is possible for Canada

I think he means Hainault as the unknown boy. I would like to see Ledgerwood too but none of the players in Germany were called so this seems most likely due to club commitments. I think someone mentioned he was training with 1860's first team so you wouldn't want to take him out of that opportunity. I would like to see him called for Austria though especially with our problems on defence.

http://www.quebecsoccer.com/article.php?id=283

CANADA

Arena selects Adu for Canada clash

January 9, 2006

U.S. Men’s National Team manager Bruce Arena has named 30 players to the training camp roster that holds a training camp concluded by a series of friendlies to take place in January and February, including the one against Canada on Januray 22.

GOALKEEPERS : Brad Guzan (Chivas USA), Kevin Hartman (Los Angeles Galaxy), Matt Reis (New England Revolution), Jonny Walker (Columbus Crew)

DEFENDERS : Chris Albright (Los Angeles Galaxy), Jimmy Conrad (Kansas City Wizards), Todd Dunivant (Los Angeles Galaxy), Frankie Hejduk (Columbus Crew), Ugo Ihemelu (Los Angeles Galaxy), Chad Marshall (Columbus Crew), Heath Pearce (FC Nordsjælland), Eddie Pope (Real Salt Lake)

MIDFIELDERS : Freddy Adu (D.C. United), Brian Carroll (D.C. United), Ricardo Clark (Houston), Clint Dempsey (New England Revolution), Landon Donovan (Los Angeles Galaxy), Justin Mapp (Chicago Fire), Kyle Martino (Columbus Crew), Pablo Mastroeni (Colorado Rapids), Pat Noonan (New England Revolution), Ben Olsen (D.C. United), Santino Quaranta (D.C. United), Steve Ralston (New England Revolution)

FORWARDS : Brian Ching (Houston MLS), Nate Jaqua (Chicago Fire), Eddie Johnson (FC Dallas), Chris Rolfe (Chicago Fire), Taylor Twellman (New England Revolution), Josh Wolff (Kansas City Wizards)

Archived