Canada Boss Calls Out De Guzman

Richard

quote:Originally posted by dbailey62

I can't agree with you John. If Julian does indeed give Canada the back of his hand, the rest of the soccer world won't look at Canada as an improving soccer nation but rather a place that our best players wish to escape for the greener fields of England and the Netherlands. Owen first, now Julian (if it should in fact happen). If he goes, more may follow his example.

If he, as you say, is in fact a Canadian at heart, we will know soon enough depending on whether or not he does or does not in fact abandon this country.

That's what it comes down to in the end.

David it's Jonathan.

I am really surprised after all that.

quote:Originally posted by commentator

I agree with your last comment...

However, if we continue to take the attitude that our system is garbage and that there is nothing we can do to improve it, then we deserve exactly what we get.

I'm not saying there isn't anything to do to improve it. There's lots. I'm saying that we can't blame it for everything. Could it be better? Yes! Will it ever compete with the Englands and Hollands and Italys of the soccer world? Probably not. Therefore this situation will continue. To say that that the current system is to blame for forcing a kid to go to Holland at age 12 is complete crap, because we could have the Australian system, or the American system, or the Nigerian system, or the Martian system - it doesn't matter. As long as kids from 2nd tier European nations go to first tier European nations for youth academy soccer (which they do) then this situation will continue. JDeGuz is still going to go to Holland at that age if he or she has the opportunity, until we're one of the Englands, Italys, or Hollands of soccer. And we know that won't be happening for many reasons - much of it CSA incompetence, much of it just due to sport popularity, climate, country size, etc...

So to blame the current system for this situation is as equally garbage as is saying that there is nothing to improve on it.

Jonathan's Dad says "look how poor the team is." Well the team may not be so poor if two of the most successful CANADIANS actually played for CANADA. (And if FYallop actually ever called a full strength team. Sorry had to get that in there. :) )

I think we must do something to try to convince JDG@ to play for Canada.

some ideas--please list more

-start an online petetion, some1 directly talk to a Liberal party and see if Martin would write a letter to him....this might seem a bit far off....but it is election time...you never no what could happen...worth a shot

-mail-call-email the press and lets try to get them to push JDG@ to play for Canada

-mail JDG2 himself

quote:Originally posted by hamiltonfan

I think we must do something to try to convince JDG@ to play for Canada.

some ideas--please list more

-start an online petetion, some1 directly talk to a Liberal party and see if Martin would write a letter to him....this might seem a bit far off....but it is election time...you never no what could happen...worth a shot

-mail-call-email the press and lets try to get them to push JDG@ to play for Canada

-mail JDG2 himself

Or leave him alone and stop harassing him, just a suggestion...

quote:Originally posted by trueviking

oh man john and juby...hit the enter key a few times....my eyes thank you.

heh, sorry

This is disappointing. Players that don't want to play for their country, but rather to be a missionary for another can do so if they wish. I want players who want to play for Canada.

If he is worried about playing in a World Cup, then he has his priorities wrong. You play for trophies at club level, and you play for your country at the national level.

By the way, he'd have a better chance of playing in a World Cup if he went and got citizenship in Brazil, because they've never missed one. I suggest that he does that.

RJB's nailed it as this is a no brainer. Canadians play for Canada, Dutch play for the Netherlands. Your club career is a stepping stone to fame and fortune, your national team commitment is for pride of country. In terms of where he'd make a bigger difference and where he'd be more remembered I think being a top player in Concacaf must have some merits over being just another player in Europe, even if the airplane ride is longer. As for "harassing" anyone, since when is posting thoughts on a public forum harassment?

quote:Originally posted by cndsoccer

here is another no brainer...your born in canada, your brother plays for canada, what is there to think about.da

who would not want to play beside his brother for his country.

its unbelievable that he even thinking of the dutch.

But on the other hand, do you want a chance to play for a strong world cup contender and be more recognized internationally. The right decision may not necessarily be the best for his career.

i can't stand this "best for his career" nonsense. clubs couldn't care less what nation you are from. they select players based on ability. if country of origin was a factor no one would have a single african player because they are always gone every 2 years for significant periods of time at cup of nations. arsenal would be able to field some english players, and lizarazu would never have played in germany.

JDG2's career would be JUST FINE if not exceptional if he chooses canada. he would get so much coverage being The Canadian genius. 1 in a million from canada with some skills - enough to make a huge splash. look at the plaudits stalteri gets...mostly how everyone is astounded some kid from ontario can make such a huge difference.

if anything i believe his career would be enhanced by the reputation of being a canadian brings, but yes it would minimize his chances at world cup play - unless our youngsters start to fulfill potential.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

I'm surprised there is so much discussion over this non-article, which says absolutely nothing new that hasn't been reported in a couple of other articles already, the original ones where these quotes are stolen from. Shoddy journalism at its worst.

I agree entirely, which is why I have been ignoring this thread. And most of the debate around his national team future. I think if it is clear for him he'll eventually make a decision, but since he has time still let him take it.

We've seen too many saviours come and go for me to get excited about just one player on a good run. What we need is a better team, and a better organization that gives the players some reason for optimism. I sense a bit of disillusion out there amongst the players, many of whom are playing above the level of their performance for our nats.

quote:Originally posted by Soju

As for "harassing" anyone, since when is posting thoughts on a public forum harassment?

By harassment I mean what I quoted right above that comment, people suggesting sending him petition after petition, alerting the media enough to have them pressure him, and the most obvious one "Mail JDG2 himself".

If every Canadian soccer fan e-mailed me telling me what I should do, I would get pretty fed up, pretty fast. Do you really think your making new points or telling him anything he hasn't heard everytime you mail him? Odds are your just regurgitating the same points a million times.

Personally I think that for all the said reasons he should join Canada (especially, the whole trophy thing, you play for the people of your country, not for personal glory, it always annoys me when I see hargreaves dancing around with his bundsliga hardware like he won it, not the team) but he must know every point you guys are repeating so all you can do is wait for him to work everything out for himself. Every repetitive email he recieves probably makes him less and less likely to join Canada.

Just cheer for him, Don't order him around.

The best for career angle only works for the country you are playing in. Hargreaves did receive more interest from English clubs after playing for England. On the other hand the only effect this had was to up the price Bayern wanted for him to a level beyond his worth so it may in fact have hindered his desired transfer to the Premiership. Since JDG2 is currently one of the top players on one of the top clubs in Holland, playing for Holland would have a negligible effect on his club career. Of course a sucessful World Cup appearance would indeed make someone a bigger name and more attractive to larger clubs in other countries.

This is all Kevan Pipe's fault. National teams of soccer's elite community are already becoming more and more like top club sides, lining up more and more foreign born players. Without a national league, Canada is destined to become nothing more than a breeding ground for the ocassional talent that will wind-up playing elsewhere. The only defence against this happening would be to cap as many young Canadian players as early in their careers as possible. With FIFA U17 and U20 sanctioned tournaments, it is the CSA's responsibility to pick out the most promising youths and cap them in these tournaments before they start heading to Europe for try-outs with big clubs. Once our kids have gone to Europe, chances are it's too late to try to persuade them in coming back to Canada to play for the national team. If the current trend is allowed to continue, the Canada's National Men's Team will consist of mostly Canadian players who aren't good enough to make it elsewhere, and will consequently go nowhere in trying to qualify Canada for a World Cup final. We really have to get rid of Kevan Pipe in order to end the frustrations that we have experienced since he took over the CSA in 1986, just after the one and only time we reached the finals. The end of the Pipe Era is way overdue.

It really sucks having the anti-Christ as executive director of our soccer federation. Not only does he suck at running the organization, he is responsible for all of the world's evils as well. Famine, plague, wars, natural catastrophies, players not representing their nations at the World Cup. All the work of BIG K. Thankfully there are people like Robert in the world who are fighting to make sure this evil seed does not spread. First Canada and then the world that is the plan. He will convert JDG2 to an evil Dutchman to spread his nefarious plans throughout Europe. We are not talking about simple soccer issues here. Satanic aliens under the control of KP are among us. Beware!!!!

Archived