Canada Boss Calls Out De Guzman

Richard

Canada Boss Calls Out De Guzman 28/12/05

http://www.soccer365.com/US_NEWS/Concacaf/page_187_111925.shtml

Deep in the middle of a mental tug-of-war over his international status, Feyenoord midfield phenom Jonathan de Guzman has had his loyalties challenged by Canada manager Frank Yallop.

"In the end, it's 'do I want to put on the red shirt and feel patriotic and play for Canada or not?'," argued the former San Jose Earthquakes coach.

The 20-year old has not decided whether to follow older brother Julian into the Maple Leaf side or gain citizenship in Holland, where he has lived for the last several years.

“I'm just concentrating on Feyenoord for now,” insisted De Guzman, who recently rejected the chance to join Canada’s set-up for the 2007 World Youth Championships – which they will host.

“I believe Canada has been in the World Cup once in its history and Holland goes basically to every World Cup,” he noted. “If you play for Canada, you might miss a (club) game.”

“You fly so many hours to Vancouver or Honduras to play one game and then maybe fly back to play a tough game in your league - I'm young and I do need my rest.”

quote:Originally posted by trueviking

i think those comments pretty much put this debate to bed....doesnt sound like someone leaning towards canada even remotely.

not that it matters, but they have actually made it only 4 of the last 7 times (including this time)...

Ya it looks that way doesn't it. No surprise I suppose but it's depressing nonetheless.

While I'm in no position to judge anybody elses motives, it's difficult for me to get my head around the concept of selling out ones country no matter what the personal motivation might be.

It's not like he would have to give up his career. He is going to be a star in Europe whether he plays for the Netherlands or not.

It's just sad that Canada means so little to the man (and that is what I find so unfathomable).

quote:Originally posted by trueviking

i think those comments pretty much put this debate to bed....doesnt sound like someone leaning towards canada even remotely.

not that it matters, but they have actually made it only 4 of the last 7 times (including this time)...

Ya it looks that way doesn't it. No surprise I suppose but it's depressing nonetheless.

While I'm in no position to judge anybody elses motives, it's difficult for me to get my head around the concept of selling out ones country no matter what the personal motivation might be.

It's not like he would have to give up his career. He is going to be a star in Europe whether he plays for the Netherlands or not.

It's just sad that Canada means so little to the man (and that is what I find so unfathomable).

First of all guys he is only 18 and no one noticed. That's how much you really know about him. His age is all over the place so this superficial response is just about meaningless.Now about that response.We are not accepted as a major sport,we are treated as second hand citizens,we don't have a leagu to be proud of.Yes we have a national team,which only gets the players playing on their nationalistic feelings.But is this the right answer in todays world.

He sort of emigrated to Holland I guess and now likes his new country. Sounds familiar,that's what this country was build up.Yes he has his brother on the canadian team and yes this is luckey enough very much in our favour.He loves Canada and he stated in the Dutch media that he is in Holland to play soccer,but would like to live in Canada.So he is aware of this great land,but what can we offer for his talents and future compared to this exceptional highly organized soccer world in Holland.Even the possible excitement of maybe playing for Holland in the WC is extremely tempting and I know what I would do.If he gets the call from van Basten and I expect he would even though he has no Dutch passport and you don't get these things in 3 monts it still could be a possibility.If he does,i would accept it and feel that he made the right decision also knowing about his true feelings for Canada. We have nothing to offer ,no league of any consequence,certainly no media and to the contrary and just simply no future or excitement he know receives. The accolades and admiration over there is beynd belief and still Canada gets the credit. In all the articles,radio or TV he is called this highly talented young Canadian,no exception. The Dutch are very proud of the fact they can call him Canadian and I am sure he has experienced that love and effection many times over.It probably may even have been a factor,who knows for his succes.

Jonathan is going to make us look as a soccer nation,obviously and we could even benefit because of it.He has a very strong willed father who decided to let his son go after Julian to play soccer in Holland. He knew how the Dutch made stars and he knew how they cared for these young players.I suppose he is a visionary.Will he decide to play for Canada not even his father knows.It is up to Jonathan.Please remember he is and alweays be a Canadian at heart.

First of all guys he is only 18 and no one noticed. That's how much you really know about him. His age is all over the place so this superficial response is just about meaningless.Now about that response.We are not accepted as a major sport,we are treated as second hand citizens,we don't have a leagu to be proud of.Yes we have a national team,which only gets the players playing on their nationalistic feelings.But is this the right answer in todays world.

He sort of emigrated to Holland I guess and now likes his new country. Sounds familiar,that's what this country was build up.Yes he has his brother on the canadian team and yes this is luckey enough very much in our favour.He loves Canada and he stated in the Dutch media that he is in Holland to play soccer,but would like to live in Canada.So he is aware of this great land,but what can we offer for his talents and future compared to this exceptional highly organized soccer world in Holland.Even the possible excitement of maybe playing for Holland in the WC is extremely tempting and I know what I would do.If he gets the call from van Basten and I expect he would even though he has no Dutch passport and you don't get these things in 3 monts it still could be a possibility.If he does,i would accept it and feel that he made the right decision also knowing about his true feelings for Canada. We have nothing to offer ,no league of any consequence,certainly no media and to the contrary and just simply no future or excitement he know receives. The accolades and admiration over there is beynd belief and still Canada gets the credit. In all the articles,radio or TV he is called this highly talented young Canadian,no exception. The Dutch are very proud of the fact they can call him Canadian and I am sure he has experienced that love and effection many times over.It probably may even have been a factor,who knows for his succes.

Jonathan is going to make us look as a soccer nation,obviously and we could even benefit because of it.He has a very strong willed father who decided to let his son go after Julian to play soccer in Holland. He knew how the Dutch made stars and he knew how they cared for these young players.I suppose he is a visionary.Will he decide to play for Canada not even his father knows.It is up to Jonathan.Please remember he is and alweays be a Canadian at heart.

Honestly, just leave the guy alone, He knows we want him, so reminding him daily instead of say yearly is just annoying. Saying the same points over and over again won't hit home any deeper and it's not exactly endearing. All we can do is say we'd appretiate it if he played for us (which we have already said so nothing more needs to be said) and let him make up his mind and hope for the best. The sad reality is there is nothing anything the people on this board can do except support him. Yallop said a bit ago, and I think he's right that we can't pressure him or we'll look like arses. Just let the guy play, if he chooses holland, then of course, like always, some people will be bitter like with hargreaves but don't be all up in arms over a choice he could make that he hasn't even made yet. If I were in his position (although It wouldn't be a question with me who I'd play for) I wouldn't be very pleased the hardcore fans after all this huffuffle and would be playing for canada in general and would probably ignore this little community for acting that way.

Honestly, just leave the guy alone, He knows we want him, so reminding him daily instead of say yearly is just annoying. Saying the same points over and over again won't hit home any deeper and it's not exactly endearing. All we can do is say we'd appretiate it if he played for us (which we have already said so nothing more needs to be said) and let him make up his mind and hope for the best. The sad reality is there is nothing anything the people on this board can do except support him. Yallop said a bit ago, and I think he's right that we can't pressure him or we'll look like arses. Just let the guy play, if he chooses holland, then of course, like always, some people will be bitter like with hargreaves but don't be all up in arms over a choice he could make that he hasn't even made yet. If I were in his position (although It wouldn't be a question with me who I'd play for) I wouldn't be very pleased the hardcore fans after all this huffuffle and would be playing for canada in general and would probably ignore this little community for acting that way.

This sounds like sensationalist journalism trying to raise a stir. A quote from Yallop along with some quotes from JDG2 that although they concern the same subject don't appear to me to be a direct response to Yallop's comments. These are just comments pasted together from other articles/interviews as opposed to any new initiative on Yallop's part to "out" DeGuzman. Yallop has to be very careful in this situation because his brother is one of our top players and we do not want to piss the whole family off. Although we all want both to play for us, one DeGuzman is better than none.

This sounds like sensationalist journalism trying to raise a stir. A quote from Yallop along with some quotes from JDG2 that although they concern the same subject don't appear to me to be a direct response to Yallop's comments. These are just comments pasted together from other articles/interviews as opposed to any new initiative on Yallop's part to "out" DeGuzman. Yallop has to be very careful in this situation because his brother is one of our top players and we do not want to piss the whole family off. Although we all want both to play for us, one DeGuzman is better than none.

quote:Originally posted by john tv

I can't agree with you John. If Julian does indeed give Canada the back of his hand, the rest of the soccer world won't look at Canada as an improving soccer nation but rather a place that our best players wish to escape for the greener fields of England and the Netherlands. Owen first, now Julian (if it should in fact happen). If he goes, more may follow his example.

If he, as you say, is in fact a Canadian at heart, we will know soon enough depending on whether or not he does or does not in fact abandon this country.

That's what it comes down to in the end.

quote:Originally posted by john tv

I can't agree with you John. If Julian does indeed give Canada the back of his hand, the rest of the soccer world won't look at Canada as an improving soccer nation but rather a place that our best players wish to escape for the greener fields of England and the Netherlands. Owen first, now Julian (if it should in fact happen). If he goes, more may follow his example.

If he, as you say, is in fact a Canadian at heart, we will know soon enough depending on whether or not he does or does not in fact abandon this country.

That's what it comes down to in the end.

oh man john and juby...hit the enter key a few times....my eyes thank you.

i am not sure what i would do in that situation, but i cant blame him for choosing the netherlands....faced with a career of european championships and world cups played in packed stadia, every game you play its a national holiday.

compare that to flying around the world to play in a stadium with 55 000 empty seats, games shown on tape delay three weeks after they happen, in the middle of the night....if at all.

or worse yet...playing in oppressive heat in some decrepid central american stadium, with a pitch not fit for sheep, hostile crowds...opposition that dive like they have been hit by cannon balls...referees that fall for it.

i really wish he would choose canada, but i wouldnt blame him for a second....at least he has grown up there...not like the other guy who didnt step on english soil until he was there to play for their national team.

Reflecting on the Canada player of the year voting and was wondering why de Guzman was not nominated for any player of the year awards. Perhaps national team accomplishments are the only criterion but if club is included his season was arguably the most impressive and our national teams performance on the pitch were poor to be honest.

I realize he may not even be a Canadian player in a year or so but right now he is a Canadian citizen only and if not the best should certainly merit being on the list.

like i said before, if he picks the dutch(and he will and that would make john tv very happy)then black ball his brother from playing for canada again,blackmail baby if you don't play your brother will never play for canada again.

sounds bad i know...jus make up your fu**ing mind and pick your country.

Remember the Dutch children's story about the little boy using his finger to plug a hole in the dike....well...if Jonathan de Guzman ends up selecting Holland over Canada it will move us one step closer to one day seeing a "flood" of young Canadian soccer talent playing abroad who end up stiffing the Canadian national team.

The thought process for our young budding soccer stars will be..."hmm...Owen Hargreaves did it...Jonathan de Guzman did it...and the world didn't come to and."

What do you expect from a country that has a soccer development system where young soccer players often succeed in spite of the system. They achieve this by playing elsewhere during their critical development years. We identify some of our young talent at 13-14 years old but hardly ever take a second look at those players who physically and mentally mature at a slower rate and who often turn out to be more talented when provided with additional development opportunities. The European system is considerably more comprehensive and inclusive for all players through to their late teens and early twenties.

Can we be blamed for having a crap system though? We're nation of 30 million stretched over the world's second largest country where winter covers half the year and the sport of soccer can't draw 10 000 in most of our major cities. Sure, Canada has messed up in a lot of soccer areas but can anyone - player, parent, fan, or otherwise - really expect us to have a national development system like that for a sport so minimal?

I mean, the guy moved when he was 12. Twelve! That's ridiculously young. There's nothing we could have done about that.

And as a side note what's the friggin point of the World Cup if guys from Calgary and Toronto are playing for England and Holland...?

Archived