Toronto meeting Jan. 22/06 - 2pm @ Duke of York

RS

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why was it kept such a secret for so long and why did someone not come out forthright saying we are the Ultras and we are now coming to this meeting as the Ultras.Not sort of as MLS supporters but still the old ultras.I don't even know what ultras mean what they stand for,what the mandate is, who runs it, what sort of actions do they perform and are they a recognized identity.Anyway I am looking forward to ananswer so i can decide what to do. I like the idea of Voyageurs sofar better.

quote:Originally posted by john tv

Why was it kept such a secret for so long and why did someone not come out forthright saying we are the Ultras and we are now coming to this meeting as the Ultras.Not sort of as MLS supporters but still the old ultras.I don't even know what ultras mean what they stand for,what the mandate is, who runs it, what sort of actions do they perform and are they a recognized identity.Anyway I am looking forward to ananswer so i can decide what to do. I like the idea of Voyageurs sofar better.

I think the Toronto Star and Dave Perkins are behind it.

johntv: Our website is currently down but I cant belive you have never heard about us. Its not like we are this great society that has a political view and a ideology. ( well there is Blair for Change) but thats all :) Most of the guys who were there and some others that will be attending for the first time today are part of the U-Sector. G-L, sean, ryan, zacRWE, breakwood, free-kick, torontosupport, etc all have been to games on a regular basic, we are at every home game and do some traveling as well. Our fearless leader is Sean but he prefers the name TIFO KING :) we will be more than glad to answer your questions on Sunday, just ask.

quote:Originally posted by john tv

My understanding is that the Voyageurs are primarily fans of Canada's national soccer teams, and fans of Canadian soccer in general. The Ultras are primarily supporters of pro soccer in Toronto , but fans of Canadian soccer in general as well. Since there is alot of overlapping interest in Canadian soccer between both groups (and overlapping 'membership') it makes sense that the meetings include 'Voyageurs' as well as Ultras. There is no need for any kind of separation really, but the primary focus of the Ultras will always be.....the Lynx:)

I htink what were saying is that this is a meeting for people who are interested in supporting the MLS Toronto team. I believe it is possible to be both Voyageur/U-Sector Ultra and C-Side (which I have no f'ing clue). So I guess, whoever want to come out, please come. John TV, all your questions can be answered at the meeting. As for what we stand for... i guess Soccer in Toronto and helping it grow.... and prematch BBQ's.

Since some have openly wondered about what or who the C-SIDE is, I’ve decided to give an explanation.

The C-SIDE is roughly a term used by many rappers in the industry originally to refer to a resort/retreat area on P.E.I, but now it just refers to P.E.I in general. The resort is a place where they can put aside their differences and play squash, badminton, or baccarat in peace. Various seminars are held throughout the year, of which the most popular seem to be “Money Management and Your Money: How to Make Your Money Make More Money for You and Your Money” and “Your Image; Keeping it Real and Sustainable In This Oh So Fickle World”.

I know this because I was very briefly a copy editor for the Association of Urban Artists and Entertainers, AUAE for short. My tenure only lasted a brief three days, as the head of AUAE quickly realized that since they didn’t actively promote their organization via press-releases and the like, it’s a pretty “hush hush” organization, they really had no need for a copy editor. Nevertheless, I did manage to steal the sweetest of Swingline staplers. But I did do the copy editing for a 16 page brochure extolling the virtues of the AUAE run retreat, known as the C-SIDE. There was going to be a promotional video rapped about it to the tune of Naughty by Nature’s “(you down with) O.P.P”, but with the words changed to “(you down with) P.E.I”, but since there is an election and they wanted the PM to rap a few lines, it is currently on hold pending the election outcome.

The AUAE chose P.E.I for this retreat because they figured since it’s in Canada there won’t be any of this East Coast vs. West Coast bull****. Plus, since P.E.I is effectively surrounded by the Ocean (yes, I know, an ocean is not a sea, but O-SIDE just doesn’t have the same connotation), even no-talent half-wits like 50 Cent can figure out that going to the C-SIDE means they’ll be surrounded by water. Over a brief period of time, I think about two and a half months, the term C-SIDE began to refer to P.E.I. in general as some who are a bit thick and hold a bit of clout couldn’t remember where the resort is in P.E.I., again the honor goes to 50 Cent, so they just referred to P.E.I in general as the C-SIDE.

By the way, Lil John likes the Fly Fishing seminars at the C-SIDE resort. It’s in the brochure!

John 'the Van' - don't believe all this bull they're feeding you!

Most of the posters are probably like you and don't know the true origin of the term C-Side. It's actually an old English footballing term (which is why you never heard of it). Instead of saying, for example, "Alex Cameron plays for the Manchester City F.C. side", in true Brit form, this got shortened to "Alex Cameron plays for the C-Side". It was originally meant to imply that someone plays for the local professional football club but in towns with multiple clubs - and Manchester is a good example - it means a specific team - i.e. City rather than United.

Use of the term C-side never crossed the Atlantic because in North American sports parlance, the "C" side or team implies the 3rd. rated team after the "A" and "B" teams. Its UK use means it is the top local team.

As for Voyageurs v. Ultras, you don't want to know about the origin of the Ultras in European football. Just come along as a long-time contributor to Voyageurs - I hope to be there as well. And don't ask about the TIFO King. No plastic dolls, please Sean, even if you get a supply of Lindsay Lohan dolls. (By the way, I guess its true - I read in the paper the other day that Lindsay is going out with Sean).

It is not I never heard who the Ultra's are,can't miss them at the Lynx,just never ever had a chance nor desire to find out or even sit or talk with them.

Kind of brought back the Old Blizzard days where we were always concerned that these guys may get out of hand and knowing the media any problem would have been blown out of proportion.

But that is the extend of it.

Thank's about the c-side stuff.

I am playing tennis at 4 so that takes care of it anyway.

Come on guys,just smile for a change, I did notice these yellow shirts at the last meeting and I did not feel threatened at all.I also knew that GL was one of these yellow bids.

I think you are an amazing group having a lot of fun and certainly the start of a very strong fan base.

I just did not realize that this now seemed to have been an Ultra thing in disguise of the Voyageurs till now.

I just don't know if I feel up to this high profile and noisy field.Never have and it is just not me.

Yes and I was a profesional drummer taboot, so if J.D is still around I will give him some good lessons.

Archived