Player Eligibile for Canada called by USA

Ian Kennett

In a move that is disappointing to the CSA, but completely understandable, Los Angeles Galaxy defender Ugo Ihemelu has been called to Bruce Arena's January USA domestic club. Although he would not elaborate on the Canadian connection other than a vague reference to a passport and immigration to Canada by Ugo's family at some point in the past, Ihemelu is eligible to play for Canada, the USA, and I believe, Nigeria. Yallop was hoping that Ihemelu would suit up for Canada in the near future, but Bruce Arena has called the player to the January camp. Ihemelu's hometwon is listed as Corpus Cristi, Texas.

Ihemelu is not cap-tied by any country at the moment, and is among 30 domestic USA players challenging for spots on the US World Cup team. Only one European based player, defender Heath Pierce, will be at the camp. The US camp is for Arena to select the domestic players that will augment the American Europe based players. Until Ihemelu is actually capped by the US, he remains eligible for Canada, but the player will probably opt to wait for his American opportunity.

Yallop tried, much to his credit, but Arena had a better offer, I suppose. Ihemelu has far, far more competition to contend with in the US camp, but the US is always WC bound.

If only . . .

Cheers!

Very, very interesting.

I'm eating crow with Ugo Ihemelu, because I thought the Galaxy made a huge reach picking him when they did, but he impressed me this past season. He was touted as being big and athletic, but a project, but he's far more polished than I expected.

While I think it is logical that Ihemelu suit up for the US, he has no shot at the current World Cup team IMO. This current call-up is more about the future and a reward for a good rookie campaign. If you look at Onyewu, Gibbs, Berhalter, Bocanegra as all near locks and Pope, Jimmy Conrad and Chad Marshall trying to win one of the final spots in the 23-man roster. I don't see Ugo with a shot.

That will/may change long term depending on how he develops, but right now he fills a massive need for our national team as a young, central defender with a bit of pace.

Nice post Ian.

cheers,

matthew

quote:Originally posted by Ian Kennett

In a move that is disappointing to the CSA, but completely understandable, Los Angeles Galaxy defender Ugo Ihemelu has been called to Bruce Arena's January USA domestic club. Although he would not elaborate on the Canadian connection other than a vague reference to a passport and immigration to Canada by Ugo's family at some point in the past, Ihemelu is eligible to play for Canada, the USA, and I believe, Nigeria. Yallop was hoping that Ihemelu would suit up for Canada in the near future, but Bruce Arena has called the player to the January camp. Ihemelu's hometwon is listed as Corpus Cristi, Texas.

Ihemelu is not cap-tied by any country at the moment, and is among 30 domestic USA players challenging for spots on the US World Cup team. Only one European based player, defender Heath Pierce, will be at the camp. The US camp is for Arena to select the domestic players that will augment the American Europe based players. Until Ihemelu is actually capped by the US, he remains eligible for Canada, but the player will probably opt to wait for his American opportunity.

Yallop tried, much to his credit, but Arena had a better offer, I suppose. Ihemelu has far, far more competition to contend with in the US camp, but the US is always WC bound.

If only . . .

Cheers!

Well thank you CSA for the heroic efforts in trying to sign this young man. But I'll be happier to give props to Yallop for effort if he got off his ass and flew to Germany in the New Year. We have a more polished defender in Nsaliwa sitting out of national team matches.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

Well thank you CSA for the heroic efforts in trying to sign this young man. But I'll be happier to give props to Yallop for effort if he got off his ass and flew to Germany in the New Year. We have a more polished defender in Nsaliwa sitting out of national team matches.

Because a central defender from the Bundesliga 2's worst defence is the answer to all our problems, right?

I just hope the Men's National Team does more in-depth analysis than that.

At the end of September, I might have agreed with you because 19 of the 36 goals scored against Saarbrucken were scored against them in their first six games (using statistics from www.kicker.de).

However, the off-the-cuff analysis you provide falls apart after that.

1. In those first six games, Nsaliwa played five games. He only played as a central defender for two of those. He played right back in two and right midfield in the other.

2. It was only in the last six games that Nsaliwa was able to establish himself as a central defender again. Coincidentally, the Saarbrucken defence has only leaked four goals during those six games while Nsaliwa was playing.

If current form is important and I believe it should be the prime criteria for selection to the MNT, Nsaliwa should be a top candidate for the central defender position.

quote:Originally posted by El Hombre

Because a central defender from the Bundesliga 2's worst defence is the answer to all our problems, right?

quote:Originally posted by Canuck Oranje

2. It was only in the last six games that Nsaliwa was able to establish himself as a central defender again. Coincidentally, the Saarbrucken defence has only leaked four goals during those six games while Nsaliwa was playing.

I may be getting misinformation here, but in the last six league games

that Nsaliwa has played, they have let in 6 goals.

If current form is important and I believe it should be the prime criteria for selection to the MNT, Nsaliwa should be a top candidate for the central defender position.

Sure. I agree. The draws with 1860 Munich and GFS were impressive and I hope that it continues. If it does and Nsaliwa helps shore up the back line then great. However, the contentious issue was that "We have a more polished defender in Nsaliwa sitting out of national team matches" when said defender was playing with the worst defense in the Bund. 2 at the time of these matches.

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

I think calling our best players is at least part of the solution. Having seen Nsaliwa play for the nats, I'd include him in our top 18. This is doubly true given the thin nature of our current cental defence depth.

Sure, but that's an entirely different thread altogether. The issue here was that the CSA tried to poach a central defender from the US but the effort in doing so was wasted as our back line depth should already seemingly be filled by one player (in some people's opinions).

Don't get me wrong, I hope Nsaliwa (and the rest of the Saarbruecken D) put on a show in 2006 and he eventually gets back in form and back in the squad. I just don't think he's there yet.

If you look more closely, you will see that Nsaliwa came on at the beginning of the second half in the first game of the last six. The opposing team had already scored twice by that time. so yes Saarbrucken was scored upon six times during that stretch but only four times while Nsaliwa was on the field.

quote:Originally posted by El Hombre

If you look more closely, you will see that Nsaliwa came on at the beginning of the second half in the first game of the last six. The opposing team had already scored twice by that time. so yes Saarbrucken was scored upon six times during that stretch but only four times while Nsaliwa was on the field.

Ah, I get it. I see what you are saying now.

Well despite the stats rehashing going on between the two of you, I have seen Nsaliwa play for our nats on numerous occasions and I have seen this Nigerian who had a cup of coffee in Canada play and am only humbly suggesting that the CSA and Yallop in particular would serve our national team needs better by trying to get Tam back into the fold than recruiting the LA player.

And El Hombre, given the fact that we are currently ranked 10th in CONCACAF, I wouldn't overlook anybody playing in the Bundesliga 2, whether their team is ranked 1st or 18th in the season. I guess you figure the level of play in the MLS is drastically better than Bundesliga 2. I don't think so myself. And would you care to provide me with the LA goals against analysis with the Nigerian who had a cup of coffee in Canada on and off the field? I don't have the time or inclination to do that myself.

Well that's still not very encouraging to me. :D . I say that with a certain grin because on the one hand, there is an argument that he plays on a side that is the worst ( statistically) defensively in a second division and on a last place club. But the counter argument is that: " No he can't be that bad because he is not starting for the worst defensive team in a second divison who is in last place" :D .

On a more serious note, Admittedly, I haven't followed his professional career as closely as some through written reports of his performance or otherwise. But if the facts presented here are correct, then I would have concure with El Hombre's point that there is too much "mountain out of a molehill" regarding Nsaliwa's status on our Mens National team. From what I recall of his play, I would say that I am not surprised to see where he is at now professionally. The hope was that that there was maturity and progression.

I am not trying to slag the guy. I think he can make a contribution to the present MNT in certain circumstances. But I real fail to see how his exclusion reflects poorly on the coach.

And El Hombre, given the fact that we are currently ranked 10th in CONCACAF, I wouldn't overlook anybody playing in the Bundesliga 2, whether their team is ranked 1st or 18th in the season. I guess you figure the level of play in the MLS is drastically better than Bundesliga 2. I don't think so myself. And would you care to provide me with the LA goals against analysis with the Nigerian who had a cup of coffee in Canada on and off the field? I don't have the time or inclination to do that myself.

No, I don't think MLS is "drastically better" than Bundesliga 2 nor did I mean to imply that. What I am saying is that, while you wouldn't overlook anyone in Bund 2, I wouldn't overlook anyone in MLS. Good for the CSA to approach him and see where he stands. After all we are ranked 10th in CONCACAF. [:P]

As for Nsaliwa, you could almost conclude that the CSA has worked harder to get him back in the program than they have in pursuing Ihemelu, what with the couple of camp invites that they have extended his way. Now, before you go off the deep end and rhyme off all the reasons as to why he couldn't make it, I am not suggesting that the CSA should leave Nsaliwa behind because of his absenses. I do hope that he gets another invitation to another camp particularly if his club career gets back on track in 2006. However, I would not insert him into the lineup right now nor do I consider him our one missing link.

Well despite the stats rehashing going on between the two of you, I have seen Nsaliwa play for our nats on numerous occasions and I have seen this Nigerian who had a cup of coffee in Canada play and am only humbly suggesting that the CSA and Yallop in particular would serve our national team needs better by trying to get Tam back into the fold than recruiting the LA player.

And El Hombre, given the fact that we are currently ranked 10th in CONCACAF, I wouldn't overlook anybody playing in the Bundesliga 2,

But really, what have you seen from his play to suggest that he can really make a difference? I hate getting into these discussion because it makes it look like I am slagging the guy which is not my intent. Should he have figured more prominantely in the WCQ effort? Yeah sure, IMO more as a stablizing influence. But stablizing is the best adjective that I can think of. I find it odd the amount of pontification surrounding his status on the MNT.

Especially considering the fact that a player like Sando Grande was not brought into the fold until the Third game of WCQ. A better question might be, What wasn't Grande involved earlier. Surely, no one could suggest that we miss Nsaliwa more than Grande judging from what we saw of both.

I'd take Nsaliwa over Watson as a CB if I was manager.

People with bigger brains, please refresh my memory, do Nsaliwa and Peters play on the same side of the field? Even if they don't, I'd still take Nsaliwa over an unproven 17 (at the time) year old.

Fans will always argue over player selection. This happens everywhere (and in every sport: ie. Canadian hockey), but in my opinion (which is worth very little in the end) two of the biggest mistakes in 2004 by Yallop were the exclusions of Nsaliwa and Aguiar (flame away).

If we can call up a keeper who has been relegated 3 years in a row, I think we can call a defender from a team near the bottom of the German B2.

Funny how every couple of months we have this debate, or similar ones.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

I find it odd the amount of pontification surrounding his status on the MNT.

This 'pontification' is based on Nsaliwa's prior performances for the NT, most notably v. Beasly in the Gold Cup. I find it hard to believe that Tam has regressed from that point, as he is a more stable professional now than he was then.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

I'd take Nsaliwa over Watson as a CB if I was manager.

I don't necessarily disagree with that. Yet, I would never say that that Watson had a poor WCQ campaign. I just don't see how any of the players excluded from Yallop's selection would have addressed any of our most pressing needs.

Tam plays the right side. I would have taken him over Peters, he is a good right back, his game against Germany particularly noteworthy and would have been a good replacement for Stalteri after the waterbottle incident, allowing Hutchinson to be used elsewhere. I would have taken Tam over Iain Hume as a right side midfielder to start as well and had Hume as a sub for whichever of Radzinski or Pwamme was not delivering. I would also add Brennan as another that should have been included Massive Attack. He may have been the one to say no, not unless I start, as has been suggested, but there was no reason for him not to be starting. Now, I think that Nsaliwa was not playing centre halve at the time of selection, in which case I can allow Yallop to have missed that as an option, but Tam was the second best right mid and second best right back in the Canadian scheme and behind Stalteri in both cases. Tam would have added both versatility and talent to the line-up, and given the injuries and suspensions that occured, both badly needed. Pesch starting - Mistake, DD at left mid - mistake, Pizzalitto and Gervais starting meaningful WCQ game - mistake, Peters and Simpson called - mistake (at that point in time, unlike the aforementioned, I think both will have great MNT careers). Leaving the keeper aside (another mistake IMO) selecting Brennan and Nsaliwa makes the starting team stronger, and leaves more quality on the bench to fill in when injuries and suspensions occured.

I don't necessarily disagree with that. Yet, I would never say that that Watson had a poor WCQ campaign. I just don't see how any of the players excluded from Watson's selection woudl have addressed any of our most pressing needs.

Works like this, Brennan starts, Nsaliwa starts, Pwamme up front, Pesh & Hume on the bench. Radz doesn't show up, Pesch or Hume starts still some talent and experience on the bench (although It is in my head that Hume missed the first game in any event). DeVos gets hurt, McKenna still hurt, Pizz tried and found lacking, Stalteri injured and then suspended, you have Nsaliwa to move back to right back, Hume to start at right mid, Hutch as Centre half. Hutch plays as Hutch does, and Mark Watson sits when De Vos comes back - maybe not a poor campaign, but not a good one either. Hutchinson's speed gets hm back to clear the ball that Mark Watson was not and there is no opportunity for Suazo to "trip" and get a penalty. It may not have stopped the Guatemala result, as Pizzolitto would have started even with Nsaliwa, Hutchinson and Brennan around, but we would have had a stronger team games 2-5 when we might have recovered (as CR did after 2 sheallackings).

People with bigger brains, please refresh my memory, do Nsaliwa and Peters play on the same side of the field? Even if they don't, I'd still take Nsaliwa over an unproven 17 (at the time) year old.

You definitely got a point there. I don't see what the rush was with Peters. I suspect that that CSA wanted to "cap tie" him. In light of the Hargreaves situation and possible JDG2 decision. Maybe the CSA got really nervous. But I agree there, In that Nsaliwa would have had much more to contribute, in retrospect.

But I still maintain, using Nsaliwa's status or any other exclusions as a central argument for Yallop's poor performance is going way over the top. I suspect that the motivating factor behind these sentiments are more personal or regional ( ie>: subjective). I too am disappointed in Yallop's coaching effort but more from a tactical and philosphical standpoint.

This 'pontification' is based on Nsaliwa's prior performances for the NT, most notably v. Beasly in the Gold Cup. I find it hard to believe that Tam has regressed from that point, as he is a more stable professional now than he was then.

That defensive performance was noteworthy. But lets recall the circumstances, I believe that he was brought on as a substition by Holger late in the first half because the player ( Imhoff I think) in charge of marking Beasley couldn't match Beasely's pace. As a result, Beaseley was really giving us problems. Nsaliwa stabilized things.

A good performance but I don't see why that performce gained legendary status amongst Voyageurs. Maybe its because we haven't seen any good, timely and intelligent substitutions since Osieck left the scene.

Thats was a good illustration of what Nsaliwa brings to the team. But would you say that it also illustrates something that we were in dire need of during WCQ? to a small degree perhaps. But overall, In my opinion, Not really.

That defensive performance was noteworthy. But lets recall the circumstances, I believe that he was brought on as a substition by Holger late in the first half because the player ( Imhoff I think) in charge of marking Beasley couldn't match Beasely's pace. As a result, Beaseley was really giving us problems. Nsaliwa stabilized things.

A good performance but I don't see why that performce gained legendary status amongst Voyageurs.

He has had several good performances for the Nats. I can't think of one off the top of my head that I would have said was a stinker. The game against Germany perhaps the best IMO. Offensively Tam was still a work in progress, and he made a mental error or two more than I would have liked, but often bailed himself out with his speed when he did.

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

He has had several good performances for the Nats. I can't think of one off the top of my head that I would have said was a stinker. The game against Germany perhaps the best IMO. Offensively Tam was still a work in progress, and he made a mental error or two more than I would have liked, but often bailed himself out with his speed when he did.

I've always been impressed by Tam, especially in the games against

Germany and the US (marking DeMarcus Beasley), but didn't he have

an attitude issue? That's a huge concern for me, if I were manager ...

As for errors, Atiba had quite a few during the last Gold Cup but

I don't recall anyone complaining about the overall quality of

his play.

Archived