Timber Jim caught in fascist-salute controversy

Daniel

Paolo did it again. [V] What a jerk.

When it happened in January I figured it really wasn't fascist thing and maybe it was a "Roman" thing or however he described it. I used to like him as a player (even after he bumped that ref). But he did it again and this time he was pretty unapologetic. There's so much more than "I align myself to right of center politics" in that salute. Again, what a jerk. Any of the Italian footie fans know if Lazio is really a fascist (or super right-wing) club?

Paolo did it again. [V] What a jerk.

When it happened in January I figured it really wasn't fascist thing and maybe it was a "Roman" thing or however he described it. I used to like him as a player (even after he bumped that ref). But he did it again and this time he was pretty unapologetic. There's so much more than "I align myself to right of center politics" in that salute. Again, what a jerk. Any of the Italian footie fans know if Lazio is really a fascist (or super right-wing) club?

Blatter warns Di Canio over provocative 'salute'

Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:24 AM GMT

Printer Friendly | Email Article | RSS

By Alastair Himmer

TOKYO (Reuters) - FIFA boss Sepp Blatter has cautioned Lazio's Paolo Di Canio about the player's fascist salute to fans last weekend, revealing that soccer's governing body was keeping track of the controversial Italian's actions.

Blatter said FIFA had a dossier on Di Canio and promised tough measures would be taken to punish players and clubs found guilty of racist behaviour.

The FIFA president added that Di Canio could possibly find himself kicked out of the game if such a verdict were delivered.

"We now have this item in our files," Blatter told a small gathering of invited journalists on Friday.

"My reaction is that we have to be very tough against all discrimination in our game," he added.

"I cannot make an assessment of fact on Di Canio yet as I only know what has been reported.

"But in such cases we must also exclude players from our family."

Di Canio's indiscretion in Livorno on Sunday was the most recent in a series of controversies which have sparked renewed accusations that racism is rife in the Italian game.

Lazio fans also held up a swastika during the match while the home supporters chanted anti-fascist songs.

Di Canio was fined 10,000 euros (6,779 pounds) for making a similar fascist salute at the end of a city derby with Roma in January.

The 37-year-old has defended his action and called on the Rome club, which traditionally has many far-right followers, to fight off any disciplinary action.

Italian clubs delayed the kickoff of matches by five minutes two weeks ago to protest against racism after Messina's Ivory Coast defender Marc Zoro was abused by Inter Milan fans.

Blatter said that clubs found to be persistent offenders could face stiff penalties.

"Definitely, the only sanction you can take against racism is the deduction of points, suspension or expulsion from competition -- or even relegation to the next league," he said.

"It's a shame for sport. A financial sentence is nothing. We have to be really tough."

Striker Di Canio banned for fascist salute

www.chinaview.cn 2005-12-20 09:33:03

ROME, Dec. 19 (Xinhuanet) -- Paolo Di Canio of Lazio has been banned for one game and fined 10,000 euros (12,000 US dollars) for making a fascist salute in a Seria A soccer match earlier this month, the Italian Football League's disciplinary committee said on Monday.

The 37-year-old striker, who made the raised-arm salute during the 2-1 defeat at Livorno on Dec. 11, will miss Lazio's trip to Lecce on Wednesday.

The gesture was attacked by politicians, players, fans and Jewish groups in Italy.

Sepp Blatter, president of world soccer's governing body FIFA, said players making fascist salutes should be banned from the gamefor life.

Di Canio defended the gesture, saying it was not intended as a political statement and that he would continue to acknowledge his fans in whatever way he chooses.

Di Canio also made the salute at the end of Lazio's 3-1 win over city rivals AS Roma in January. On that occasion he was fined 10,000 euros but escaped a ban.

'Fascist salute' angers fans

Monday December 12, 2005 12:29 - (SA)

ROME - Lazio striker Paolo Di Canio could find himself in trouble with the Italian football authorities once again after giving an alleged fascist salute in Sunday's Serie A match away to Livorno.

According to Italian news agency ANSA, Di Canio made the gesture to the visiting Lazio supporters while he was being substituted.

Games between Livorno and Lazio are always tense because of the political leaning of the clubs' supporters. Livorno have always had a strong left-wing following, while Lazio supporters have links to the far right.

ANSA said Livorno fans waved communist flags with the hammer and sickle emblem, while Celtic crosses (a popular symbol for the neo nazis especially as the swastika is banned) were spotted in the Lazio enclosure.

It is not the first time Di Canio's politics have landed him in hot water. In March he was fined 10,000 euros for giving a fascist-style salute at the end of the Rome derby two months earlier.

Di Canio denied any political significance but the Italian football league's disciplinary commission ruled his gesture had "unequivocally recalled a precise political ideology which could have provoked a violent reaction from fans".

I am with Blatter on this one, DiCanio should be kicked out of the game. Especially to do this for the second time after several weeks of serious racial incidents in Italian soccer. The one game suspension by the Italian federation is a joke, shows how serious they are about solving the hooligan and racism problems in Italian soccer and why we have had serious problems in Italy in the last decade. Without doubt Italy (and not Turkey) has been the worst country in Europe for hooligansm and racism in the last five years and this year has been no exception. I wonder where all the posters are who called for Turkey being banned for its latest incident whenever Italy has another one of its many incidents.

• 2 weeks later...
quote:Originally posted by Grizzly

I am with Blatter on this one, DiCanio should be kicked out of the game. Especially to do this for the second time after several weeks of serious racial incidents in Italian soccer. The one game suspension by the Italian federation is a joke, shows how serious they are about solving the hooligan and racism problems in Italian soccer and why we have had serious problems in Italy in the last decade. Without doubt Italy (and not Turkey) has been the worst country in Europe for hooligansm and racism in the last five years and this year has been no exception. I wonder where all the posters are who called for Turkey being banned for its latest incident whenever Italy has another one of its many incidents.

I disagree. Di Canio said it best himself. "I am a fascist, not a rascist." People must realize that the two are different.

A fascist party does not have to be racist by definition although they often are. Even a non-rascist fascist party or supporter is pretty reprehensible. Both the Nazi party and Mussolini fascists were rascist murderous organization as much as some Italian people want to whitewash their history and blame the Germans for everything. One of the greatest and most dangerous fallacies of history is the idea that the Mussolini fascists were not so bad. It is like a mass murderer who killed 20 people claiming he is not bad because another mass murderer killed 100. The fascist salute symboizes rascist, murderous totalitarian regimes throughout the world due to the movements it was associated with. Di Canio is aware of this and still chooses to use it, fully knowing what it symbolizes to many groups. In fact he gives it in response to his team's fans who are also saluting and who are holding banners readings things like, "Death to Jews". I personally am pretty sceptical towards Di Canio's claims of not being a racist but even if he is only a fascist that is reprehensible enough. Di Canio is a real disgrace to his team, his sport, the Italian soccer league and Italy.

Archived