Canadians abroad: December 16-22, 2005

DJT

quote:Originally posted by john tv

Just read some Dutch newspapers and they all said that the Canadian, De Guzman was the best Feyenoord player on the field.

The funny part is that my home team is ADO. I have been in contact with the ADO guys and they were very aware of that Canadian kid. A real talent they called him.

I am awaiting the post game from them,let you know.

I was told that van Basten was in the stands.

No other information, but I wonder why,does it have something to do with Jonathan? I also wonder very much since Jonathan is by far the best youth and now probably one of the best soccer players in Holland

would he be approached by van Basten.I believe he will be at least he should be!

Just watched the CCC highlights. De Vos set up the only goal in the Ipswich match, as he was still in the box after a corner that wasn't fully cleared. The ball was lobbed back into the box, which De Vos reached with an outstretched leg that sent it to a teammate that put it in.

The Hume goal came from a long pass that Hume appeared to use his arm to bring under control. It looked quite clear to me, although I haven't seen a single article that makes a note of it.

Also, Millwall almost scored from a Simpson free kick.

You are my son shine;Football;Match report

Malcolm Nugent at the Walkers Stadium

425 words

19 December 2005

The Sun

Super Goals 22

English

© 2005 News Group Newspapers. All rights reserved

LEICESTER 1

Hume 65

CREWE 1

Higdon 40

Folks see Iain save Foxes

IAIN HUME must have reserved a big hug for his mum and dad after saving Leicester's blushes.

The Canadian hit a glorious equaliser to claim the sponsor's man-of-the-match bubbly in front of visiting parents Wilma and Eddie.

The former Tranmere striker revealed: "It's the first time they have seen me play for Leicester. They have come over from Canada for Christmas.

"It's funny but the first time my dad saw me play for Tranmere I scored as well."

Holiday

Hume lashed home Joey Gudjonsson's through ball in the 65th minute with Crewe on course for their first win over the Foxes in 100 years.

It sparked the home side back into life eight minutes after defender Alan Sheehan was sent off for two bookable offences.

Hume, who joined Leicester for Pounds 500,000 in August, added: "We should have taken maximum points but it wasn't until the sending-off that we played our best football. We have one of the best squads in the league but we have to learn to kill teams off.

"If we can do that over the holiday period we will soon start climbing the table.

"I am convinced we will be up towards the play-off spots by the end of the season."

Crewe's heroes were striker Michael Higdon and on-loan keeper Ross Turnbull, as they ended a run of five straight defeats.

Higdon played through the pain barrier with a cracked rib but still grabbed a 40th-minute opener before going off early in the second half, while Turnbull produced a series of magnificent saves.

Higdon said: "I have been injured all week. Someone knocked into me and made it worse. I was in a lot of pain and will need an X-ray."

Turnbull, 20, on loan from Middlesbrough, is not put off by keeping goal for the side with the worst defensive record in the league and hopes to stay until the end of the season.

He said: "Crewe is a family club and the lads and the manager Dario Gradi are great.

"We were disappointed with their goal.

"But it was still a good point for us, especially as we haven't been picking up too many of them recently."

SUN STAR MAN

IAIN HUME (Leicester): That's for you, Mum and Dad.

© The Sun, 2005

Just watched the CCC highlights. De Vos set up the only goal in the Ipswich match, as he was still in the box after a corner that wasn't fully cleared. The ball was lobbed back into the box, which De Vos reached with an outstretched leg that sent it to a teammate that put it in.

The Hume goal came from a long pass that Hume appeared to use his arm to bring under control. It looked quite clear to me, although I haven't seen a single article that makes a note of it.

Also, Millwall almost scored from a Simpson free kick.

You are my son shine;Football;Match report

Malcolm Nugent at the Walkers Stadium

425 words

19 December 2005

The Sun

Super Goals 22

English

© 2005 News Group Newspapers. All rights reserved

LEICESTER 1

Hume 65

CREWE 1

Higdon 40

Folks see Iain save Foxes

IAIN HUME must have reserved a big hug for his mum and dad after saving Leicester's blushes.

The Canadian hit a glorious equaliser to claim the sponsor's man-of-the-match bubbly in front of visiting parents Wilma and Eddie.

The former Tranmere striker revealed: "It's the first time they have seen me play for Leicester. They have come over from Canada for Christmas.

"It's funny but the first time my dad saw me play for Tranmere I scored as well."

Holiday

Hume lashed home Joey Gudjonsson's through ball in the 65th minute with Crewe on course for their first win over the Foxes in 100 years.

It sparked the home side back into life eight minutes after defender Alan Sheehan was sent off for two bookable offences.

Hume, who joined Leicester for Pounds 500,000 in August, added: "We should have taken maximum points but it wasn't until the sending-off that we played our best football. We have one of the best squads in the league but we have to learn to kill teams off.

"If we can do that over the holiday period we will soon start climbing the table.

"I am convinced we will be up towards the play-off spots by the end of the season."

Crewe's heroes were striker Michael Higdon and on-loan keeper Ross Turnbull, as they ended a run of five straight defeats.

Higdon played through the pain barrier with a cracked rib but still grabbed a 40th-minute opener before going off early in the second half, while Turnbull produced a series of magnificent saves.

Higdon said: "I have been injured all week. Someone knocked into me and made it worse. I was in a lot of pain and will need an X-ray."

Turnbull, 20, on loan from Middlesbrough, is not put off by keeping goal for the side with the worst defensive record in the league and hopes to stay until the end of the season.

He said: "Crewe is a family club and the lads and the manager Dario Gradi are great.

"We were disappointed with their goal.

"But it was still a good point for us, especially as we haven't been picking up too many of them recently."

SUN STAR MAN

IAIN HUME (Leicester): That's for you, Mum and Dad.

© The Sun, 2005

Guest Jeffery S.

Marco Bras was subbed out m. 76 for more firepower as Pampilhosa came back to tie Benfica Castelo Branco 2-2 in extra time, Portugal Div 2, Serie C. The team is fifth in the division, 6 back of the leaders though with a game in hand. So they remain a promotion possibility.

quote:Originally posted by sstackho

Sorry, this is obviously OT in this thread, but I just read that Guardian article which reminded me of the other incidents. The other Garcia header was also offside, in my opinion, but we didn't have a great camera angle of the corner kick that curled out of bounds. Max Bretos: "I think that rule is for the birds." (He is referring to the rule of "out of bounds".)

The Guardian article doesn't seem to express their own opinion on the 89th minute disputed goal call. But I thought it was close, but clear.

The topic of the disputed calls is further (and more appropriately) discussed in this thread:

http://www.canadian-soccer.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8485&whichpage=2

which links to this article with Vergara's follow-up comments:

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Soccer/Canada/2005/12/20/1361666-cp.html

Article on Pesch's hat trick

Pesch treble gives Brown plenty to think about

By Steve Nicholson

Paul Peschisolido has sent a timely reminder to manager Phil Brown ahead of Derby County's hectic festive programme of four games in eight days.

Peschisolido scored a hat-trick in yesterday's 7-0 victory over Chesterfield in a behind-closed-doors match at Moor Farm.

All his goals came in the first half as a strong Rams team ran out comfortable winners.

The 34-year-old is currently out of favour and has not started a first-team game for almost two months.

He has not even made the substitutes' bench in the last five matches, but Brown says the Canadian striker could still have a part to play.

"Paul has been scoring in the behind-closed-doors games and can do no more than that - he's in my mind," said Brown.

"His professionalism, work rate and energy against Chesterfield caught the eye. Hopefully he will continue to do well and when his chance comes, he will take it.

"But it is not only Paul who is pushing to be included in the 11 or 16. So are Lee Holmes, Jeff Kenna, Nathan Doyle and Giles Barnes."

Dexter Blackstock is filling the lone striker role in Derby's 4-5-1 system with Danny Graham breathing down his neck.

The formation does not suit Peschisolido, who is better in a 4-4-2 shape.

His contract expires in the summer and it is unlikely he will be offered a new deal.

Preston wanted to sign him just before last month's emergency loan deadline.

They were also keen to make the move permanent in January and willing to pay Derby a fee, believed to be around £70,000. The offer was rejected.

Holmes (2), Morten Bisgaard and an own goal completed the scoring against a Chesterfield side containing a mixture of senior players and youngsters.

Derby fielded two young trialist centre-backs against Chesterfield - an Australian in the first half who was replaced by a Polish player in the second.

Derby's line up was: Poole; Doyle, Kenna, Trialist, Boertien; Bisgaard, Barnes, Bolder, Holmes; Peschisolido, Graham.

Dexter blackstock has been recalled from his loan spell

Things looking up for Pesch

Dexter Blackstock has been recalled by Southampton from his loan spell at Derby County.

Blackstock was into his second month at Pride Park but the Saints were always able to take him back at 24 hours notice.

The 19-year-old scored three goals in his nine appearances with Derby.

Phil Brown said: "It was a bolt out of the blue. I was sitting in my office when I got a phone call from Dave Bassett saying he wanted to recall him.

"They're bringing all their loan players back so they've got a full squad for the busy Christmas period. Like us they've got four games in eight days."

Dexter blackstock has been recalled from his loan spell

Things looking up for Pesch

Dexter Blackstock has been recalled by Southampton from his loan spell at Derby County.

Blackstock was into his second month at Pride Park but the Saints were always able to take him back at 24 hours notice.

The 19-year-old scored three goals in his nine appearances with Derby.

Phil Brown said: "It was a bolt out of the blue. I was sitting in my office when I got a phone call from Dave Bassett saying he wanted to recall him.

"They're bringing all their loan players back so they've got a full squad for the busy Christmas period. Like us they've got four games in eight days."

Guest Jeffery S.

Jonathan de Guzman played 90 in the Dutch Cup match vs Roda, won by the team from Kerkrade 1-0, knocking Feyernoord out of the competition.

I think this is no longer the Amstel Cup, it is the Gatorade Cup, so livescore seems to be giving the beer folks some free publicity there.

Sulentic came on the 68th minute as third tier regional league side St. Pauli defeated Hertha BSC Berlin 4-3 in extra time in a DFB Pokal (German FA Cup) game. This is a considerable upset, as Hertha are a fairly big club who stand 5th in the Bundesliga and have qualified for the final 32 of the UEFA Cup.

St. Pauli now move on to the final eight of this knockout competition.

Archived