Canadians abroad: December 16-22, 2005

DJT

Canadians abroad on TV this week

Notes: This list may be incomplete or inaccurate. Generally only premiere broadcasts are listed (in particular, FSWC repeats are not listed). All broadcasts are live unless otherwise noted. All times are EST.

Saturday, December 17

2:00 PM on GolTV Canada — Spain: Primera División

Celta de Vigo vs. Deportivo de La Coruña (Julian De Guzman)

Sunday, December 18

1:30 PM (5-hour delay) on FSWC — England: Premier League

Middlesbrough vs. Tottenham (Paul Stalteri)

Guidelines for this thread

[*]In this thread post match updates on all Canadians abroad for December 16-22, 2005.

[*]If you find updates posted in some other thread or on the other Voyageurs forum then post them here as well, but be sure to credit the original poster.

[*]If there is news that is particularly significant (eg. someone scores a big goal, someone gets injured, etc.) then feel free to begin a new thread on that topic in order to draw greater attention or start a discussion, but also post that news here.

[*]Some comments on news posted in this thread are okay, but let's not let this thread go off into a long discussion. If the news already appears in another thread (as per the previous bullet) then post your comments in that other thread, otherwise if you want to say something significant or if it is likely to generate replies then begin a new thread.

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

Seems as if Hume had a good game with 4-5 chances, once described as a "fantastic curling strike".

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/report?id=185075&cc=5901

"Iain Hume was the hero for 10-man Leicester as they came from behind to secure a deserved 1-1 draw against fellow Coca-Cola Championship strugglers Crewe."

I like, I like. Seems like Humey is finally setting in, in the CCC.

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

Seems as if Hume had a good game with 4-5 chances, once described as a "fantastic curling strike".

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/report?id=185075&cc=5901

"Iain Hume was the hero for 10-man Leicester as they came from behind to secure a deserved 1-1 draw against fellow Coca-Cola Championship strugglers Crewe."

I like, I like. Seems like Humey is finally setting in, in the CCC.

Recap from the Prem:

- Radz plays 90 as Fulham wins 2-1 over Blackburn. Radz picks up a yellow in the 71st.

- Stalteri plays tomorrow.

Recap from the CCC:

- DeVos plays his regular 90 as Ispwich beat Sheff Wednesday, 1-0.

- Hume is known as the Hero, as he scores to make it 1-1 on a 10-men squad against struggling Crewe

- Simpson goes 90 as Millwall lose again... to Reading.

- Others such as, Brennan, Peters, etc. didn't dress.

Recap from the Prem:

- Radz plays 90 as Fulham wins 2-1 over Blackburn. Radz picks up a yellow in the 71st.

- Stalteri plays tomorrow.

Recap from the CCC:

- DeVos plays his regular 90 as Ispwich beat Sheff Wednesday, 1-0.

- Hume is known as the Hero, as he scores to make it 1-1 on a 10-men squad against struggling Crewe

- Simpson goes 90 as Millwall lose again... to Reading.

- Others such as, Brennan, Peters, etc. didn't dress.

Hampton & Richmond Borough 0-1 Billericay

Hampton's poor form continued with a home loss against powerhouse 'Ricay, which takes Hampton off the top of the Ryman Isthmian League Premier Division for the first time this season.

Elliott Godfrey came close to scoring, only for the goalkeeper to make a good save. The 'keeper could not hold on to it, but Hampton's Yaku missed an easy rebound with a terrible shot.

JDG 2 Just put a beautiful cross from the left wing to the head of the Feyenoord goal scorer Kalou as they level things with ADO Den Haag, with the match currently in the 70th minute. Have watched him play a few full matches on the telly and his is really an offensive sparkplug. I think he has single-handedly sent Ono back to Japan, injuries or no injuries. Holland must surely have a LOT of eyes on him and must be dying to cap him unless he stops them. Let's hope.

ADO scored another in the second half and they win 2-1.

Hastings started for ICT, who went 1-nil up in the first minute of of play at home versus Celtic.

Commentator noted that Hastings was the youngest ever to start a game for Inverness, when he came into the squad at 17 in 1994. Had a chuckle when he went on to mention that this was Hastings' second spell at the squad, after some time spent "mastering European tactics."

Game finished 1-1, and Hastings played the full 90 minutes vs a frustrated Celtic.

Stalteri plays 90 as Tottenham draw 3-3 away to Middlesborough. Sounds like a wild one with tons of yellow cards, people knocked unconscious off the field and teams trading goals, some of them disputed. Stalteri apparently had a hand in the first Spurs goal & blocked a certain Middlesborough goal off the goal line in the final minutes of play. Hope those of us in Toronto at the Duke get to see this later this afternoon.

quote:Originally posted by nolando

JDG 2 Just put a beautiful cross from the left wing to the head of the Feyenoord goal scorer Kalou as they level things with ADO Den Haag, with the match currently in the 70th minute. Have watched him play a few full matches on the telly and his is really an offensive sparkplug. I think he has single-handedly sent Ono back to Japan, injuries or no injuries. Holland must surely have a LOT of eyes on him and must be dying to cap him unless he stops them. Let's hope.

ADO scored another in the second half and they win 2-1.

Just read some Dutch newspapers and they all said that the Canadian, De Guzman was the best Feyenoord player on the field.

The funny part is that my home team is ADO. I have been in contact with the ADO guys and they were very aware of that Canadian kid. A real talent they called him.

I am awaiting the post game from them,let you know.

Guest Jeffery S.

Daniel Fernandes put in his usual 90 in the nets for Paok, who beat OFI Crete 2-0, their second straight win after the UEFA cup victory.

The team continues to chase a Champions spot, but is more surely in UEFA Cup country.

Guest Jeffery S.

I see Klukowski has yet to appear for Bruges after his injury, been a long time. They are back in the fight, three points off Standard Liege, the leader.

Fernando Aguiar played 90 as his team Gondomar beat Estoril 2-0 today to stay 4 points off the lead in the Liga de Honra, while Bras' side Pamphilhosa drew with Benfica Castelo Branco 2-2 in Div 2, Serie C. No full reports for the latter yet.

Guest Jeffery S.

No De Guzman yesterday in their big win away to Celta, 0-3, all in the first half. He has sat out three straight since losing at home to Villareal, but it should be said his run of 4-5 games straight, with some success, was after a teammate was sat following on a loss away to Real Sociedad. In any case the squad has depth, Caparrós is using it, and the team is now in a Champions spot. Let's hope Julian can work himself back in to a few minutes and show his stuff again to the coach.

I see that Canadian Hector Vergara was a ref's assistant during the Sao Paulo vs Liverpool final of the World Club Championship in Japan:

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,1563,1670412,00.html

and not without controversy:

"It was a private conversation," said Benítez. "We knew that one of the goals was a goal, clear. You wouldn't get a Mexican referee and a Canadian linesman in the final of the World Cup."

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Anyone see the game? How was the play and was it offside or not?

I taped the game and watched it, and replayed some of the close calls. I am trying to remember all the incidents, but I certainly remember the 89th minute call of Luis Garcia being offside.

There were about three very close incidents, but I thought that the replays confirmed that the linesman got all the calls spot on. And these were very tough and close calls.

I didn't realize that it was the Canadian linesman. But I was surprised to see Archundia refereeing a match like this, but of course that is because I hate him.

The unfortunate thing about the broadcast over here was that Fox Soccer Channel chose not to use the FIFA announcer like they did in the semifinal, and instead let Max Bretos call it. I also hate Max Bretos. (And I don't hate a lot of people - really...) I really really wish that someone would tell Max to read up on the offside rule. You know, because he's a MATCH COMMENTATOR and all that - knowing the rules would be an added bonus. After a close call, it wasn't the first time he's said "I think there has to be space between the 2nd-last defender and the attacker for it to be offside" which is wrong. There wasn't space on the Luis Garcia call, although he was offside. For some reason, Bretos went against his own idea of the rule and agreed with the official.

Sorry, this is obviously OT in this thread, but I just read that Guardian article which reminded me of the other incidents. The other Garcia header was also offside, in my opinion, but we didn't have a great camera angle of the corner kick that curled out of bounds. Max Bretos: "I think that rule is for the birds." (He is referring to the rule of "out of bounds".)

The Guardian article doesn't seem to express their own opinion on the 89th minute disputed goal call. But I thought it was close, but clear.

Archived