Paul Stalteri, Werder Bremen, Tottenham

stalteri_action.jpg

Julian DeGuzman, Hannover 96, Deportivo La Coruna

deguzman_hs.jpg

Rob Friend, Molde

friend_action.jpg

Lars Hirschfield, Leicester, Tromso IL

hirschfeld_action3.jpg

In the past we have had our Player of the Year as a measure of both club and international duty with Canada.

That cancels out most of the p[layers that you have profiled.

I will have to think about this one. Nobody jumps out at me.

Probably Derosario. Candidate for MVP of MLS, and was always a dependable foot soldier for Canada.

Probably DeRo because of his club form.

Haven't seen Lars play, but seems to be doing great in Norway in this latter half of the year.

As for international play...

Um.. hmm, WCQ+Gold Cup+Friendlies... very hard to say... maybe DeRo? Hutchinson in Gold Cup? Very hard to say.

You have to give DeRo credit for making every appearance for the MNT in the year and his club form; however, he's often too frustrating to watch for my tastes. I'd go with Hutch as the best all round club/country player of the year. I don't see much Swedish football, but I can't recall a bad outing for Canada.

I'd also give an honourable mention to David Edgar for his performance in Holland. He'd also have to be considered the best top level prospect not named De Guzman.

Hutchinson would get my Vote.

He was there for the Nats game in game out and has put up with being played in Central Defence, plus his Goal In Honduras was perhaps the biggest of the year, even though we blew it late on. He is only playing in Sweden, but has been crucial for his club too.

Canada played 8 matches in 2005 (5 exhibition, 3 Gold Cup), and Stalteri played in 1 out of the 8. That puts Stalteri on the sidelines for this year.

The other player that deserves serious consideration is McKenna. He played virtually every game for Canada, scored 2 goals for Canada (Portugal, Honduras) and is one of the leading goal scorers in the Bundeliga 2. I think it's safe to say that the Bundesliga 2 is at least equal quality to the Swedish Premier and MLS.

It's a tough pick between Derosario, McKenna, and Hutchison.

quote:Originally posted by Joe Keeper

Hutchinson would get my Vote.

He was there for the Nats game in game out and has put up with being played in Central Defence, plus his Goal In Honduras was perhaps the biggest of the year, even though we blew it late on. He is only playing in Sweden, but has been crucial for his club too.

Hutchison is a definete candidate, but that goal you refer too was in 2004 (hard to believe, but true).

quote:Originally posted by Winnipeg Fury

The other player that deserves serious consideration is McKenna. He played virtually every game for Canada, scored 2 goals for Canada (Portugal, Honduras) and is one of the leading goal scorers in the Bundeliga 2. I think it's safe to say that the Bundesliga 2 is at least equal quality to the Swedish Premier and MLS.

I did'nt think about McKenna but he's a great choice.

Personnally i liked Ali Gerba, he scored important goals for Montreal and had no problem adjusting to playing in Sweden with GIF Sundsvall. He also is the only forward (with Iain Hume) who scored a goal for Canada this year.

quote:Originally posted by Kurosawa

Personnally i liked Ali Gerba, he scored important goals for Montreal and had no problem adjusting to playing in Sweden with GIF Sundsvall. He also is the only forward (with Iain Hume) who scored a goal for Canada this year.

Occean scored against NI.

As much as I value appearances for our MNT, the question was:

"Who is the best Canadian player in 2005?"

I therefore cannot discount Julian de Guzman or Paul Stalteri

for their achievements. Julian as the first Canadian in the

Spanish Liga, playing first team against the Barcelonas and Reals

of the world. That's pretty damn big. (Or would it be better for

him in MLS or Scandinavia?)

Stalteri playing every minute for Tottenham is also quite the

achievement.

A player doesn't get to play for the MNT for various reasons

(coach's decision, club commitments, the dog house, etc.) and

we should not down play the achievements of both players who

always answered the call in the past. De Guzman and Stalteri

had to travel on long flights just to get into the lineup in

Vancouver WCQs. No disrespect to anyone, including DDR

(MLS player of the year candidate).

I'd nomimate Hutch and DeRo. Both are willing foot soldiers for the Nats, as someone pointed out, both open to playing in new positions, and both performed well at club and international level. I'd probably give DeRo the edge, though likely only because he seemed to get more press (or, at least, we saw more media coverage on him.)

Based on club success alone - Stalteri, deGuzman and deRosario are all top candidates. However for Canada - Paul was barely called upon, Julian and Dwayne had mixed results (moreso Julian).

Looking for club and country balance, I would go with Atiba - apparently regarded as one of the top players in Sweden, his country play was also top notch, despite being played out of position much of the year.

Any Canadian veteran player is attached to his share of sad memories. If this were a matter of loyalty dedication and positive P.R. then Onstad would be a front runner for sure. A couple of weak goals for the national team but what about his 2005 club performance?

De Rosario for NA based players. Jonathan de Guzman for Euro-based players, narrowly over Stalteri and his bro. Gotta pick JDG2, he's been man of the match in like half his games so far this year, and has played well basically well he's played (except for the game I went to go see in Rotterdam, yes I'm very bitter).

Guest Jeffery S.

I would give it to De Rosario, who had a strong year for his club and was there for his country in a down year. I saw him play for us vs. Spain, and he was given an ovation by the Spanish fans when he was subbed off, so credit to him.

We could take a look at which Canadians actually won leagues or Cups this year, and which played in higher competitions, like UEFA or Champions.

Thus we have Klukowski transferring into Bruges and winning the league and Cup last spring.

The Canadians at San José and Montreal winning their respective regular seasons.

Friend winning the Norwegian Cup.

Stalteri early this year in the final 16 of the Champions (killed by Lyon in the home and away), in the UEFA Cup Grande for Viking, the fellows at Tromso, and Fernandes at Paok, plus I believe JDG2 in the early rounds and his older brother in Intertoto for Depor, knocked out by Marseille.

Players who have transferred or promoted up: Hume, Peters, Fernandes, Begovic, Stamatapolous with the transfer to Tromso, Lars to Rosenborg, the fellows at Haugesund, Jonathan de Guzman to first team Feyenoord, his brother from Hannover to Depor.

Players who have dropped down or out: Jazic, Nsaliwa (as the team is doing terribly), Dunfield, Serioux by his own decision, Brennan out of EPL.

For all this, I think the nod should go to Dwayne, he is the player who seems to most clearly stepped up his play, along with JDG2, and perhaps Lars and Dani Fernandes.

Archived