Onstad will have a different backup in 2006

Alberto7

Caught this on the MLS web site. Looks like the Earthquakes or going to go with Onstad and a young backup in 2006:

http://www.mlsnet.com/MLS/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20051205&content_id=49081&vkey=pr_met&fext=.jsp&team=met

MetroStars acquire Conway from San Jose Earthquakes in exchange for draft pick

SECAUCUS, N.J. - The MetroStars announced today that they have acquired goalkeeper Jon Conway from the San Jose Earthquakes in exchange for the MetroStars natural fourth round pick in the 2006 MLS SuperDraft. Conway has significant ties to the tri-state area, as he played his college soccer for Rutgers where as a senior he led the Scarlet Knights to their first ever Big East regular season title.

"In Jon, we're getting a great goalkeeper with MLS experience, and a man who is truly excited about the opportunity to come back here and play for the MetroStars," said MetroStars President and General Manager Alexi Lalas. "He's also one of the best dressed players in the league and we could use a little help in that department."

"I am excited to add Jon to the MetroStars. He is another proven winner having been on both of the Earthquakes' championship teams," said MetroStars Head Coach Mo Johnston. "This off-season we are looking for players who have experience and a winning history - Jon fits into both of these categories, and we are very happy to have him."

Conway, 28, began his MLS career in 2000 after being selected in the third round of the MLS SuperDraft by the San Jose Earthquakes. In his Quakes career, the Aston, PA native appeared in 18 games over six seasons and posted a 1.51 goals against average. His best season came in 2004, when he started five games, finishing with a 2-2-1 record, two shutouts and a career-low 0.60 goals against average.

"I am excited about the opportunity to come to the MetroStars," said Conway. "I'm thrilled to be involved with a club as big as the MetroStars, and to have the opportunity to try and bring a championship to the New York area. Also, I am certainly excited to be playing close to where I grew up, and where I went to college. It will be great to play in front of my family and friends."

While at Rutgers, the six-foot, six-inch goalkeeper, allowed just 18 goals in 21 matches (0.80 GAA) as a senior in 1999. That year Conway was named an NSCAA All-American second team performer. He was a three-time (1997-99) All-Region first team selection and a two-time (1998-99) Big East Goalkeeper of the Year. He led Rutgers to its first-ever Big East regular-season title in 1999, and maintained a 0.88 GAA as a junior and a 0.72 GAA as a sophomore.

The MetroStars currently have the 5th picks in the first and second round of the 2006 SuperDraft remaining.

Archived