CSA = Canadian Association Football Association

piltdownman

Ok this is the dumbest rant ever but it has bugged me for quite some time. Why is it that in Canada everything is X Soccer Association. Soccer stands for Association Football so why is it that every soccer group in this country puts both Soccer and Association in the name?

Same thing with MLS Soccer, NFL Football, and NHL Hockey I know.

Sorry but i'm a bitter man.

From Wikipedia -

"The sport is also known by other names in some parts of the English-speaking world, usually association football and its contraction, soccer. These names are often used to distinguish the game from other codes of football, since the word "football" may be used to refer to several quite different games.

"

When the FA sorted the sport out it became known as Association Football to separate it from other variations of the rules, but it takes imagination to see how "soccer" could've come from "association". Unless of course you're familiar with British slang then you know anything's possible.

The Canadian Association of Football is wrong because "Football" in Canada is tackle Football. The Canadian Association Football? That's incomplete. The Canadian Association Football what? The Canadian Association Football Trophy?Hat?Club?Team?Assocation? Ah right, association. The Canadian Association-Football Association. The Canadian Soccer Association, eureka! That's catchy I'm going to get this thing started right away.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Federation, not Association. Thank you for the applause.

Wouldn't that be Confederation in Canada?

So in politically correct Canada it would be:

The Confederation of Canadian Association Football/Soccer Associations//L' Association de Soccer/Foot Association du Canada

Archived