Canucks in Germany (Dec 2005)

Guest Ed

In the Bundesliga 2, no Canadians in action today.

On Sunday, VfL Bochum and Daniel Imhof host Erzebirge Aue as they bid to stay in the promotion zone.

Tam Nsaliwa is expected to start on Sunday as FC Saarbruecken are away to Kickers Offenbach. Their postponed game against Dynamo Dresden has been rescheduled for Dec 14th. FC Saarbruecken have 4 games now before the winter break and a win in even two of those games could give them a big boost heading into the 2nd half of the season in late January.

Kevin McKenna and Energie Cottbus again wait until Monday for their away match to eastern rivals Dynamo Dresden. Should be a good one. The theme of a kicker article recently was that the Cottbus team has been brought down to earth due to a number of factors: teams doing a better job of covering McKenna as an aerial target up front, some poor wing play of late and the fact that McKenna was moved back to defence to tighten up the back. Kevin now has company as the leading goalscorer in the 2nd division so hopefully he and the team can produce on Monday.

Johnny Sulentic may see some action today as FC St Pauli host Werder Bremen amateurs in the Regional League North.

Nik Ledgerwood and his 1860 Muenchen amateur team were to host 1st place FC Augsburg today in the Regional League South. That game has been postponed as here is their pitch today:

6708.jpg.

In the Oberliga North, Maycoll Canizales and the Hannover 96 amateurs take on the reserves of Holstein Kiel Sunday as they battle SV Wilhelmshaven for 1st place. The teams are tied at 34 points atop the table. Some discrepancy on whether Canizales did score last week against St. Pauli. The St. Pauli site had a full game report and it said that Canizales opened the scoring on a pass from Marcus Weck. Other sites had Weck scoring. I'll go with St. Pauli.

Blerim Rrustemi should be in action at centre back with Borussia Moenchengladbach amateurs this Sunday against the reserves of Wuppertaler SV Borussia in the Oberliga North Rhine. Last Sunday he had a big game, scoring 2 goals before the half, then getting a rest in a 7-0 demolition of FC Junkersdorf.

Victor Oppong has yet to make an appearance this season with SV Waldhof Mannheim in the Oberliga Baden-Wuerttemberg, as he is still coming off a bad injury.

There may be a few other cancellations coming due to cold and snow.

FC St. Pauli move into a tie for first place in the Regional League North with Holsten Kiel as they win for the 7th time in a row, 4-2 over Werder Bremen amateurs. No game report as yet but Johnny Sulentic not in on the scoring.

Update: Sulentic comes on as a sub in the 73rd minute.

Daniel Imhof comes off in the 67th minute with the game scoreless, but VfL Bochum go ahead 7 minutes later as they go on to defeat Erzebirge Aue 1-0 today in the Bundesliga 2.

A much needed win for Tam Nsaliwa and 1. FC Saarbruecken as they come back from a 2 goal deficit away from home to snatch a 3-2 win over Offenbach Kickers, Tam going 90 minutes as a central defender.

McKenna will start up front this morning (evening in Deutschland) as striker Kioyo is suspended for this game.

Big game today as a win is needed to put Energi Cottbus back into the top 3.

No sign of Maycoll Canizales or Blerim Rrustemi for either Hannover 96 amateurs or Borussia Moenchengladbach amateurs this past weekend.

Energie Cottbus and Dynamo Dresden end at 1-1, with McKenna coming close to the winning goal with a minute left. The draw leaves Cottbus in 5th place, just out of the promotion zone.

Big day Sunday for Canucks in the Bundesliga 2.

Daniel Imhof and VfL Bochum will try to hold onto top spot as they are away to mid-table Karlsruher SC.

Kevin McKenna and Energie Cottbus should get back to winning as they visit next to last Kickers Offenbach.

Tam Nsaliwa and 1.FC Saarbruecken could be back in contention to stay up after next weekend as they have three games in 10 days, hosting 2nd place 1860 Muenchen on Sunday and then home again to play struggling Dynamo Dresden on Wednesday. Six points will be awfully tough against two higher placed teams but would do wonders for them heading into the winter break. The teams are off for over a month after next weekend's action.

Nik Ledgerwood and 1860 Muenchen reserves play Saturday away vs SpVgg Bayreuth. They also have a game to make up against FC Augsburg, not scheduled yet. They need points to get out of relegation territory.

In the Regional League North, Johnny Sulentic and FC St Pauli are away to RW Erfurt on Saturday, looking to move up from 3rd place.

Strong game from Nik Ledgerwood today as an 1860 Muenchen amateur team, missing several starters and reduced to 10 men with 25 minutes to play, end a streak of 12 games without a win with a big 2-1 victory away over SpVgg Bayreuth.

Johnny Sulentic comes into the game in the 59th minute, his team down by 2 as FC St Pauli get one back but go down 2-1 to RW Erfurt.

May not seem like much but another big point for 1.FC Saarbruecken today as they keep 1860 Muenchen out of first place in the Bundesliga 2 by holding them to a 0-0 draw. Tam once again played 90 minutes, unclear exactly where in the back four.

Bad news for Cottbus as they get dumped 2-1 by Offenbach at home, Kevin McKenna up front in a 4-3-3.

Daniel Imhof comes off with 4 minutes left as VfL Bochum are beat up 4-2 at home by Karslruher SC.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

May not seem like much but another big point for 1.FC Saarbruecken today as they keep 1860 Muenchen out of first place in the Bundesliga 2 by holding them to a 0-0 draw. Tam once again played 90 minutes, unclear exactly where in the back four.

Bad news for Cottbus as they get dumped 2-1 by Offenbach at home, Kevin McKenna up front in a 4-3-3.

Daniel Imhof comes off with 4 minutes left as VfL Bochum are beat up 4-2 at home by Karslruher SC.

The top of Bundesliga 2 is getting more congested each week. I predict a Saarbruecken comeback, they'll be comfortably lower. mid table by March!

Hope to see the German legion in that friendly with the US. Any guess on what the chances of that happening are?

A win for Saarbruecken on Wednesday would do wonders for their chances. They are only 7 wins away from first place with a game in hand :). All the game reports have Saarbruecken outplaying 1860 Muenchen yesterday, with a post saving the visitors single point. BTW, Tam picked up a yellow late in the 2nd half.

VfL Bochum are in second, a point off the leaders Greuther Furth. Energie Cottbus sit in 6th spot, 5 points back. Kevin McKenna was quoted today as being disgusted with the team effort.

Nik Ledgerwood's senior team sits in 3rd place, 2 pts back.

Doubt we'll see Tam back with the old boys in charge.

Tam Nsaliwa is questionable to start today in Saarbruecken as he is battling the flu but coach Bommer thinks he will tough it out.

FC Saarbruecken are in a true 6 pointer with fellow relegation candidates Dynamo Dresden with a win desperately needed to pull them off the bottom of the Bundesliga 2 table.

Tam starts, 3rd game in a row now. Looks like he has shown the new coach Rudi Bommer that he belongs in the starting eleven.

Crazy game with the score 1-1 barely 10 minutes in, Saarbruecken already making a sub in the 2nd minute due to injury.

It gets better. Now 2-1 for the Saarlanders with the half winding down.

Great googly mooglies!! 3-1 Saarbrucken at the half. The boys in blue who could only manage 10 goals in their first 15 games are entertaining the home fans today!

Now 5-1 with 10 minutes to go. I think Ditty might have been on to something!

Tam starts, 3rd game in a row now. Looks like he has shown the new coach Rudi Bommer that he belongs in the starting eleven.

Crazy game with the score 1-1 barely 10 minutes in, Saarbruecken already making a sub in the 2nd minute due to injury.

It gets better. Now 2-1 for the Saarlanders with the half winding down.

Great googly mooglies!! 3-1 Saarbrucken at the half. The boys in blue who could only manage 10 goals in their first 15 games are entertaining the home fans today!

Now 5-1 with 10 minutes to go. I think Ditty might have been on to something!

I'm actually partial to Dynamo Dresden. Oh well. Saarbruecken seems like one of those teams that come in to each season looking alright and then go on massive streaks, up and down all season. I hope Nsaliwa can stay established there. He's still so young and having a few solid years of Bundesliga 2 experience can only be a good thing.

Yes experience can't hurt though Tam has tons already. He was with Nurnberg and with our Confed Cup team in Japan back in 2001 when he was just 19 yrs old.

I am partial to my old neighbourhood teams like Saarbruecken, K'town and Freiburg so too bad about Dynamo Dresden!

Cottbus could be the ones in trouble by season's end. They only missed relegation by very slight goal difference last season.

I look forward to our next meeting - east vs west smackdown!!

Well I might as well warn you now that I'll take down the bigger of you first. Early training. Is it just me or does 'Grizzly' not sound bigger than 'Ditty'. Might be a ploy by you commie-loving bastardos though.

In reality, I would buy you both 1/2 litres.

Yes experience can't hurt though Tam has tons already. He was with Nurnberg and with our Confed Cup team in Japan back in 2001 when he was just 19 yrs old.

I am partial to my old neighbourhood teams like Saarbruecken, K'town and Freiburg so too bad about Dynamo Dresden!

Cottbus could be the ones in trouble by season's end. They only missed relegation by very slight goal difference last season.

I look forward to our next meeting - east vs west smackdown!!

Yeah, Tam's already got, what, 5 years pro experience? I meant that it's important for Saarbruecken to stay up since he seems to be establishing himself there.

Two big games tomorrow (Friday) in the Bundesliga 2 featuring Canadians in the last games before the winter break.

Daniel Imhof and VfL Bochum, in 3rd place, take on mid-table SpVgg Unterhaching at home.

Energie Cottbus, now in 7th place overall, 5 points out of first, have a tough game travelling to Munich to take on 4th place 1860 Muenchen. Kevin McKenna is expected to start in the back with US international and captain Greg Berhalter back stateside dealing with some personal issues.

Sunday Tam Nsaliwa and 1.FC Saarbruecken will attempt to win their 2nd but it won't be easy as they are away to Eintracht Braunschweig.

Nik Ledgerwood and the 1860 Muenchen reserves are through for this year but I am not sure if Nik is still there as we was training with the senior team most of the time this season. The Regional League South doesn't get back into gear until Feb 19, 2006.

Johnny Sulentic and FC St.Pauli in the Regional League North are off until Feb 4th, 2006.

Big win for Energie Cottbus today as they head for the break, coming back from 1-0 down to score 3 and hold on for a 3-2 win. Kevin McKenna picks up a yellow in the waning moments as Energie Cottbus move up to 4th place.

Good news for VfL Bochum and Daniel Imhof as they score late in a 1-0 win over SpVgg Unterhaching and move into first place, where they will remain over the break if 3rd place Alemannia Aachen do not win on Monday.

That's 10 points in the last 4 games for Saarbruecken and sets them up nicely to get out of relegation territory after the break. Tam Nsaliwa has started every game in a 5 game unbeaten streak.

That's 10 points in the last 4 games for Saarbruecken and sets them up nicely to get out of relegation territory after the break. Tam Nsaliwa has started every game in a 5 game unbeaten streak.

Good, it will put some righteousness in my outrage over all future non-selections.

• 2 weeks later...

Tam Nsaliwa will leave the vacation paradise Edmonton for Spain next week as FC Saarbruecken return to training for the 2nd half of the season. Some competition for Tam as the club today announced the signing of a defender, Alexis Genet of Olympique Lyon (wasn't seeing much playing time there). The club will have a good test as they take on Bundesliga 1 side VfL Wolfsburg while in sunny Spain.

Kevin McKenna and Engergie Cottbus are off to their favourite mid-season training grounds in Turkey on January 7th, where they will play three friendlies - two Turkish clubs and Dynamo Dresden. Congrats to Kevin on making Kicker magazines list of top defenders in the Bundesliga 2 (number 2 on the list).

Daniel Imhof and VfL Bochum are off to Alicante, Spain next week for conditioning and then take part in the "Revier Tournament" with fellow Ruhr valley clubs Schalke 04 and BVB Borussia Dortmund in mid-January.

Nik Ledgerwood will be training with the 1860 Muenchen senior squad early in the new year, with some indoor tournies starting the weekend of January 6th, followed by a training stint in the Canary islands later in the month.

The St. Pauli website has news on "Johnny" Sulentic being very happy to get back to Vancouver for the holidays. After being away for 6 months, he will (according to the website) spend some time with the family skating and skiing and is (if I translated right) quite anxious to check out his sister's new boyfriend for the first time.

The St.Pauli fans are looking forward the the 25th of January when the Hamburg club takes on the high flyers from the Bundesliga Werder Bremen in the 1/4 finals of the German FA Cup.

Guest Jeffery S.

Ed, I appreciate when you indicate where in Spain these teams are training. I am a bit far from most (Alicante, Murcia, Andalusia, Canaries), but occasionally I have seen a team up near where I am later in the spring.

Once saw a Swiss lower tier team on a small field, and the Columbus Crew played Barça B team the same morning the bombs went off in Madrid. But that is later in the spring. In any case if you have the info on training sites for the Saarlanders I would like to see it.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Ed, I appreciate when you indicate where in Spain these teams are training. I am a bit far from most (Alicante, Murcia, Andalusia, Canaries), but occasionally I have seen a team up near where I am later in the spring.

Once saw a Swiss lower tier team on a small field, and the Columbus Crew played Barça B team the same morning the bombs went off in Madrid. But that is later in the spring. In any case if you have the info on training sites for the Saarlanders I would like to see it.

Saarbruecken play Wolfsburg in Huelva on the 10 January, 2005.

Archived