Mr. Man Utd. leaves

argh1

quote:Originally posted by Desigol

Keano is lauded by United fans both in Manchester and Ireland. I've always enjoyed giving him stick when playing Arsenal and about the McCarthy incident. He'll only play one more season, then come back to Old Trafford as Manager.

Maybe but he's at least 10 years away from being Man Utd manager...

Anyway, Allan Smith as Keano's replacement is a laugh! They'll buy someone soon. Ballack seems like a good match.

Anyone else thinking Keane would be a perfect fit for Arsenal?? I know it can't happen, but still....

quote:Originally posted by Desigol

Keano is lauded by United fans both in Manchester and Ireland. I've always enjoyed giving him stick when playing Arsenal and about the McCarthy incident. He'll only play one more season, then come back to Old Trafford as Manager.

Maybe but he's at least 10 years away from being Man Utd manager...

Anyway, Allan Smith as Keano's replacement is a laugh! They'll buy someone soon. Ballack seems like a good match.

Anyone else thinking Keane would be a perfect fit for Arsenal?? I know it can't happen, but still....

From today's (Manchester)Guardian:

Perhaps the saddest part of Roy Keane's fall from grace at Manchester United is that he will be remembered in future years for the callous nature of his departure rather than anything he did on the field. Ushered out of the door by the most ruthless manager in the business, Keane's exit could hardly have been less dignified for a man who has graced the Old Trafford pitch for the last 12 years.

Even by Sir Alex Ferguson's standards there was something remarkably brutal about Keane's final few hours as a United player. Two of the game's most combustible characters came together at United's training ground and by the time they had finished unloading their vitriol it had become clear they would never deal with one another again. Twelve years of mutual respect and admiration had disintegrated.

This was at 9am, the beginning of a long, hectic and tumultuous day. As the rest of Ferguson's players began their preparations for today's game against Charlton Athletic, Keane put his bag in the dressing room, walked up the stairs and knocked on Ferguson's door. United had summoned him the previous night, along with his solicitor Michael Kennedy. Keane had known for two days that he would not be offered a new contract when his present deal expired at the end of the season and now he was about to find out why.

The meeting quickly degenerated into a furious row. Ferguson did not mince his words, accusing Keane of mutinous and unforgivable behaviour. The subject of Keane's now-infamous MUTV interview was brought up. Ferguson made it clear he regardedthe Irishman's criticisms of his team-mates as treacherous. Critically he is then understood to have told Keane he would not continue as captain.

Keane listened at first, bristled with indignation and then returned fire. Backed into a corner, his response was not too dissimilar to his infamous parting shot at Mick McCarthy before walking out of the Republic of Ireland's World Cup squad: "Stick it up yer bollocks."

He believed Ferguson was humiliating him and made it clear, in his inimitable style, that he was not willing to stay another day. He was also livid about being pulled out of a reserve game on Thursday night when he thought he was fit enough to play. At 9.20am he stormed out. Kennedy was instructed to sort out the pay-off.

At 11.30am Ferguson held his weekly press briefing. There was no sign that anything was weighing on his mind. On the contrary, he joked about Scotland winning the "unofficial World Cup" and congratulated the Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho for banning the press. "I might join him. Christ, it's not easy seeing you lot every week." He looked relaxed and calm - everything that might not have been expected given the monumental events that had just occurred.

He was asked for an update about Keane's contractual situation and, with his best poker face, shook his head and replied: "Nothing to report. There hasn't been any decision about his contract. It's just like I told you a few weeks ago."

Ferguson is skilled at economy with the truth. No more than 35 minutes later the news was announced in a statement from Old Trafford. "Manchester United have reached agreement with Roy Keane for him to leave the club with immediate effect. The agreement allows Roy to sign a long-term deal with another club to enable him to secure his playing career beyond what would have been the end of his contract at United. The club have offered Roy a testimonial in recognition of his 12 years at Old Trafford and thank Roy for his major contribution."

There were quotes attributed to Ferguson and Keane - "agreed quotes" that had been written by spin doctors before being put on general release. Ferguson described Keane as "a fantastic servant, the best midfield player in the world of his generation, one of the great figures in our club's illustrious history".

Keane had given his approval to a farewell message that read: "It has been a great honour and privilege for me to play for Manchester United for 12 years. I have been fortunate to play alongside some of the best players in the game and in front of the best supporters in the world. At all times I have endeavoured to do my best for the management and the team.

"While it is a sad day for me to leave such a great club and manager I believe the time has come to move on. I send my best wishes for the future to the management, players, staff and supporters."

United claimed it was by "mutual consent" but it would be truer to say mutual discontent. There were no handshakes, no bear-hugs, no swapping of numbers. It is not even clear if Keane will accept a testimonial.

Go through United's history and Ferguson and Keane have had as close a relationship as any between manager and player. Ferguson cut Keane slack for his various misdemeanours and supported him when he walked out of the World Cup. Keane gave Ferguson his most influential figurehead and played as though he would walk through plated glass for him.

That all changed, irreparably, when they clashed over training arrangements on their pre-season visit to Portugal. Since then their relationship has become increasingly strained. Respect and admiration has been replaced by suspicion and resentment. As far as Ferguson was concerned the MUTV episode was one indiscretion too many. And no one takes on Ferguson at Old Trafford and wins.

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

No I can't see Smith either and Ballack has been toying with the idea of going to EPL. Is Frings committed to Bundesliga?

Keane would make an interesting mix in mid-field with Juninho at Lyon have they spent all the Essien € yet? Ligue 1 would fit his physical style.

Okay just wishfull thinking ;)

quote:Originally posted by BusanBhoy

Can't say I've heard of this team?

I do pray he stays the hell away from Celtic though!

Your a Bhoy and you've never heard of Glasgow Celtic. Next you'll tell me that is not their official name or are you a Stalybridge Celtic fan?

you're right, I was being piddly as there is no such team as "Glasgow" Celtic. have to say - I've much love for your fair city - or at least a few of its inhabitants.

A love for half the city anyway ;)

You will be a happy man this week.

I'm not sure that Keane is needed by Celtic, but he would sell a lot of jerseys.

quote:Originally posted by Excumbrian

From today's (Manchester)Guardian:

Perhaps the saddest part of Roy Keane's fall from grace at Manchester United is that he will be remembered in future years for the callous nature of his departure rather than anything he did on the field.

*snip*

What rubbish! Keano's departure is a result of him being 34 years old. Nothing to do with those (accurate) things he said on MUTV. He's been saying those types of things for 8 years now. Funny how nobody showed him the door when he was in his prime.

A love for half the city anyway ;)

actually I was refering to Budapest

I confuse myself where I stay. Budapest is just a stop off, but I agree with your sentiments about the place.

As for Keane, I think ManUre fans will remember him for the good times he gave and not the bad.

I heard he was signing a one year deal for Motherwell :D

• 6 months later...

Archived