Barca interested in an MLS franchise?

Massive Attack

MLS has to be very careful. Ajax is also interested in this. I'm certain Manchester United has eyed it up as well. They must be careful because they will not be seen as a credible league if all they do is fill themselves up with feeder clubs for world giants. They may have done more harm than good by allowing Chivas in. I think the way the league is set-up if someone wants in, and has the money, is there any real way to stop them? League owner votes?

quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

MLS has to be very careful. Ajax is also interested in this. I'm certain Manchester United has eyed it up as well. They must be careful because they will not be seen as a credible league if all they do is fill themselves up with feeder clubs for world giants. They may have done more harm than good by allowing Chivas in. I think the way the league is set-up if someone wants in, and has the money, is there any real way to stop them? League owner votes?

Well to put it mildly I would disagree. You think the Hartrell's of this world will do a better job of putting an MLS entry together than MUFC or Barca?? Which is more credible again?

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

Could the team joining Toronto in 2007 be owned by Barcelona?

I'm doubting it would be the Toronto team since they seem to want to have a team in New York. And the fact that they said that they were looking to expand their brand in the US.

But I'm not sure if I'm for this if the team would be a re-packaging of Barca. If they want to invest but use an original name and different colors that's fine, but our teams need to create their own identities and histories instead latching on the europes.

It's funny how it's usually the rest of the world complaining about American culture invading their part of the world, and now we're getting the reverse.

Having said that, it's good to hear that American fans are proud and protective of their league and would rather develop it their own way.

Guest Jeffery S.

The moment Barça understands the single entity and how players do not belong to teams I think they will balk. How can you develop players that way, how can you channel some youth into MLS with the idea of getting them higher playing experiences when you can't get them back when you want? The mere merchandising factor is not enough.

Of course, if Barça could freely send young players to their team from their ranks instead of having them on the B team, at third tier, then it could be worthwhile. But the players would have to belong and be able to return to the mother club otherwise what is the investment?

I also think that if your club does not play with the level of the mother team, at least in terms of winning, you are doing yourself a disfavour. You can't be a bad team with a Barça name on it.

But Barça has had close contacts with MLS before, especially when they had the Barcelona Dragons American football team playing in the Mini Estadi and had contacts with those MLS owners who are also NFL owners. Other will know more than I on this, but this is a solid basis for discussion, indeed there was a time when Barça wanted to promote their brand through the NFL network while offering a reciprocate deal for NFL brand promotion through their own. Losing the NFL Europe franchise let the steam out of that.

I think that Laporta does not really understand MLS, but he's a dreamer. Lots of recent "big" plans have come to nought outside of the area of the results of the first team at Camp Nou.

PS. This Saturday, one of the world's "super clásicos", Real Madrid-Barcelona, 8 PM Euro time.

Interestingly enough, this could be the basis for a Canadian 'Kevin Pipe' League.

Kevin Pipe Eastern Conference

Halifax Rangers

St. John Celtic

Quebec City Lyonnais

Montreal AC Milan

Montreal Roma

Toronto Benfica

Toronto Porto

Kevin Pipe Western Conference Conference

Winnipeg Oslo

Regina Fulham

Edmonton Kyiv Dynamo

Calgary Chelsea

Vancouver Jubilo Iwata

Vancouver Real Madrid

Victoria Arsenal

PS: GO BARCA

quote:Originally posted by River City

It's funny how it's usually the rest of the world complaining about American culture invading their part of the world, and now we're getting the reverse.

It's pretty simple, we reject what we don't like, and welcome what we do. We couldn't have gotten where we are in 229 years if we didn't! If you don't like McDonald's, Starbucks, or Wal-Mart don't shop there, I don't.:)

How has Ajax Cape Town been doing? Has it been bad for the South African league?

Ajax Cape Town seemingly more sizzle than steak. Results from their first season.

99/00: 4th place and well behind the traditional three(Chiefs, Pirates, and Sundowns)

00/01: 11th

01/02: 14th

02/03: 13th (Two points above the drop)

03/04: Best result as runners up (6 Points behind Chiefs)

04/05: 6th

The only title they have seem to won was a cup tournament that was open only to teams from the top flight. It hasn't been the developmental result that Ajax was hoping for.

Another example of a European club failing abroad was Rangers history in running Australian side Northern Spirit.

Guest Jeffery S.

In general it is a bad idea to have a team in another league as real scouting for a top club should mean going for any kid with any level, no matter where he plays. That is that.

The best marketing for a team is to have a winning side with great players. If Barça wins in Europe in the next two years that will be more beneficial than any MLS ownership deal.

If Barça wants their kids to play a higher level than 2B division in Spain, and sign non EU players and get them good experience before reaching top flight or the first team, they can always push them hard to promote to 2nd Division, where Madrid and Malaga have their 2nd teams playing. Or loan them out to 2nd division or lower level first division teams, as is done all over the world.

Finally, press here today mentions Laporta in Dallas for the final after going to Mexico to check on the academy, then on to Portland to renegotiate the Nike contract. No word on an MLS team, and nothing at all on the result of the MLS final.

Having said that, it's good to hear that American fans are proud and protective of their league and would rather develop it their own way.

Thanks, mate. And believe it or not, we do some things right.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by canso

Given the seperatist leanings of the Catalans, Montreal would be an excellent choice for a Barca team.

Imagine when Real Rochester comes to town? They'd be pelted with poutine!

Dumb cliché, sorry. The Catalan separatists have less than 20% of the vote, though the nationalist leaning parties do have a majority. There is a difference.

In any case, Catalonia was allied with Ontario in an association of wealthy 1st world regions, that was 15 years back. I know because I got Ontario-Catalan money to do a cultural exchange in 1991-92. Quebec was not involved.

But to the point: today Laporta is quoted in one paper as expressing interest in mid to long term in a MLS franchise, and they like NYC, as they like the marketing power of a NY team. And they have had contacts with the owners of the Giants before, as i suggested earlier. It seems the question of player development is totally secondary to the idea of tapping the US market in some viable way.

Archived