Canadians abroad: November 4-10, 2005

DJT

Canadians abroad on TV this week

Notes: This list may be incomplete or inaccurate. Generally only premiere broadcasts are listed (in particular, FSWC repeats are not listed). All broadcasts are live unless otherwise noted. All times are EST.

Monday, November 7

3:00 PM on FSWC — England: Premier League

Bolton vs. Tottenham (Paul Stalteri)

Guidelines for this thread

[*]In this thread post match updates on all Canadians abroad for November 4-10, 2005.

[*]If you find updates posted in some other thread or on the other Voyageurs forum then post them here as well, but be sure to credit the original poster.

[*]If there is news that is particularly significant (eg. someone scores a big goal, someone gets injured, etc.) then feel free to begin a new thread on that topic in order to draw greater attention or start a discussion, but also post that news here.

[*]Some comments on news posted in this thread are okay, but let's not let this thread go off into a long discussion. If the news already appears in another thread (as per the previous bullet) then post your comments in that other thread, otherwise if you want to say something significant or if it is likely to generate replies then begin a new thread.

Today in the CCCCCCCCC:

- Devos plays 90, but Peters doesn't dress as Ipswich defeat Plymouth Argyle 3-1. Ipswich are 13th.

- Hume's slow start with Leicester continues, as he only gets brought on in the 76th in a 0-0 draw with Southampton. Leicester are 15th.

- Simpson is an unused sub in a 1-3 Millwall loss to Crewe. Millwall are still 4 points clear at the bottom.

- Bircham still injured as QPR fall 1-2 to Reading, as the top two clubs continue to run away with things. QPR are 11th.

- Like Hume, Pesch only gets on in the 75th as Sheffield Wednesday defeat Derby 2-1. Derby are 19th.

- Brennan is subbed out in the 73rd as Wolves beat Norwich 2-0. Norwich are 17th.

Pretty good day for me so far but alas, not Radz who's 90 minutes produce a good scoring chance, some woodwork rattling and an absolute empty net miss.

Completely, uttterly, empty-net miss in added time against Manchester City. This is getting crazy.

2-1 Fulham on the road by the way. A much needed win.

Rhian Dodds subbed out in the 83rd minute as Killie draw Motherwell 2-2 away. He picked up a yellow card on the day. That's our boy celebrating with Kris Boyd below.

_40987818_boydcelebrates270.jpg

Richard Hastings played 90 for Inverness CT against Dunfermline and picked up a yellow card as well as his side won 2-1 at home.

Some news from Hartwick college indicate that Josh Wagenaar is likely out for the season. They lost 2 out of 3 games since he's injured. Too bad since he was having a great season and was laeding Hartwick to an NCAA tournament bid, now it's unlikely they'll make it....

Guest Jeffery S.

Marcel de Jong once again played 90 but this time Helmond Sport fell at home to De Graafschap, 1-2. Still, they are having a solid year and he is playing pretty well every minute of every game.

Guest Jeffery S.

Daniel Fernandes got the shutout as Paok beat Panionos at home 1-0, the goal coming on a m. 45 penalty. With the win PAOK stays near the top, in fifth, six points back of leaders Olympiakos. They have only given up 8 goals in 9 games.

Julian de Guzman played 63 and was subbed out for Sergio as Depor fought to get the draw vs. Malaga, eventually succeeding with the 1-1 m. 75 to draw. They are now tied for 6th in Spain with 17 points, just 7 back of surprise leaders Osasuna and within a game of a Champions spot. Pretty well where we have gotten used to seeing them in the last 15 years.

Hello! I'm in Rotterdam and I was lucky enough to see the Feyenoord-Vitesse match tonight.

Feyenood 0-0 Vitesse.

Jonathan De Guzman played 90 minutes. Koeman had him playing just behind Kuijt (the lone striker). He didn't play especially well. He played all 90 minutes but seemed to get worse at the game went on (he seemed to loose confidence during the game). He didn't really make any impact on the game as a whole. On one hand, he didn't see too much of the ball; Feyenoord prefered to attack down the flanks through Castelen and Kalou. But when he got the ball at his feet, he didn't do too well. He had a few poor deliveries from set pieces (JDG takes all their corners/free kicks) and he overhit a few simple passes in the last 10 minutes. I'd probably remember more, but I'm in a bar in Rotterdam and I've had a few drinks. I may update this tomorrow, and if anyone has any questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

The main to remember is that this lad is only 18. We can't expect him to play well every time out, he's still learning and there will be games like this.

To the people who are travelling to Luxembourg: I'll see you in a week!

quote:Originally posted by Curtis Armada

Elbow to Jonathan's head which caused minor bleeding affected his game.

It was quite a cheap shot too, the play had been whistled dead for a good two seconds.

The elbow happened in the second half, but Jonathan didn't do much to distinguish himself in the first half either. But I guess it helps explain his second half performance.

People in Rotterdam are quite excited about Jonathan. A few have taken great delight in telling me that he will look nice in Orange. :( The general consensus seems to rate him higher than just about everyone else on the team except for maybe Dirk Kuijt. Everyone is convinced here that JDG is going to be a star.

That was a wicked elbow that should've been a red card

http://www.feyenoord.nl/domains/feyenoord/pages/article_v2.asp?content=12790000011714_2_12770000000008

quote:Originally posted by tg-13

It was quite a cheap shot too, the play had been whistled dead for a good two seconds.

The elbow happened in the second half, but Jonathan didn't do much to distinguish himself in the first half either. But I guess it helps explain his second half performance.

People in Rotterdam are quite excited about Jonathan. A few have taken great delight in telling me that he will look nice in Orange. :( The general consensus seems to rate him higher than just about everyone else on the team except for maybe Dirk Kuijt. Everyone is convinced here that JDG is going to be a star.

Julian Uccello was nowhere to be seen in Sansovino's 3-0 home loss to Carrarese in Serie C2B action on Sunday.

Rocco Placentino came on in the 57th minute as Gualdo tied Castel San Pietro in Serie C2B action on Sunday. Rocco tied the game with a goal in the 84th minute.

David Masciantonio started for Montertondo in their 2-1 win over Montenero in Serie D Girone G on Sunday. David scored in the 39th minute to tie the game and also received a yellow card.

Guest Jeffery S.

Fernando Aguiar was subbed out m. 68 as Gondomar fell away to Santa Clara 3-1, in Portugal's 2nd tier. They are now mid table with 10 matches played, after a good start they have stalled a bit.

Guest Jeffery S.

Fernando Aguiar was subbed out m. 68 as Gondomar fell away to Santa Clara 3-1, in Portugal's 2nd tier. They are now mid table with 10 matches played, after a good start they have stalled a bit.

Looked a shot to me. Thought he was trying to catch Jaaeskelainen cheating and it nearly worked.

Added time woodwork or no I thought it was Diesels best match (and most cautious I must add) broadcasted so far. Very good showing. Damn he makes some runs down that touchline.

Very good match all around. Well worth a watch and hard result for 'Spurs.

Still think Diouf is a prick.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Yeah, I also thought it was Stalteri's best match that has been televised here thus far. But no matter how well he plays someone on bigsoccer in the Spurs forum will rip his performance apart, it seems.

Yes it is quite fashionable on the Tottenham boards for a few to rip Stalteri, and it simply reveals an ignorance of the game in general. The most recent, about how he turns over the ball too much, caused me to watch and count the turnovers he had...total of 3, 29 mins a poor return of his throw-in results in him knocking the ball into touch - he could have done better. Min 33, he tries a clearing pass that is cut out in the midfield...a play tht happens dozens of time each week in the EPL, and harmless as Tottenham were back in numbers, Min 88 being hounded by two Bolton players on the touch line, tries to knock it up the line rather than into touch and hit on of the two, recovers to defend, and nothing comes of the turnover...Oh yeah, 3 turnovers were the fewest on the team. By some measure.

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

Yes it is quite fashionable on the Tottenham boards for a few to rip Stalteri, and it simply reveals an ignorance of the game in general. The most recent, about how he turns over the ball too much, caused me to watch and count the turnovers he had...total of 3, 29 mins a poor return of his throw-in results in him knocking the ball into touch - he could have done better. Min 33, he tries a clearing pass that is cut out in the midfield...a play tht happens dozens of time each week in the EPL, and harmless as Tottenham were back in numbers, Min 88 being hounded by two Bolton players on the touch line, tries to knock it up the line rather than into touch and hit on of the two, recovers to defend, and nothing comes of the turnover...Oh yeah, 3 turnovers were the fewest on the team. By some measure.

I can remember another group of fans who liked to use Stalteri as their whipping boy until they warmed to him... Sound familiar?

Stalteri is criticized because he plays effective but not attractive soccer. The strange thing is that he is getting this criticism in Germany and England where many of the players have a style similar to Stalteri. If he was playing in Spain I might understand the criticism more. The German and English fans criticizing him should realize that just because they have Brazilians and Argentines playing in their leagues it doesn't mean their own players play beautiful soccer.

Archived