The Chelsea lost thread

argh1

If you didn't get a chance to catch the match from Old Trafford today on The Score you missed a good one.

Was all hands on deck for great stretchs of the 2nd half. Seven, eight red shirts at a time in Van der Sar's box but Fletcher's header stood up for the Red Devils.

So there. Maybe a race on yet.

By the by, Morinho is a real piece of work. No dought about it.

Don't ever change, baby. Don't-ever-change.

Nostradamus here...I was just thinking this over--personally I have a hierarchy of teams I cheer for:

Country

Local

Northern England

Underdog

which means I would always cheer for Chelsea against Betis...

Having got that out of the way, and watched the MUFC v Chelsea game today (at least the 2nd half, anyway)I can say, without fear of contraception:

Lampard,Terry and Drogba are class

Ronaldo, Rooney and Van der Sar are class

Alan Smith has got some spirit and played well, but would still be better off playing in the hole behind Ruud and Roon

Chelsea will still will the league by a street

Man Utd will finish about 3rd or 4th

There will be a big reshuffle at Old Trafford (see "Man Utd Lost Thread")

Wigan will qualify for UEFA Cup

I think it's a bit rich of MUFC fans to complain about Chelsea outspending them, when thats what MUFC did to everyone else for years...30 mil for the Boy Wonder, anyone? That's one of the reasons people cheer for clubs like Man City (the workers' team), Wigan, the Boro (although they've been throwing cash about too) and the like.

Great game, innit?

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

If you didn't get a chance to catch the match from Old Trafford today on The Score you missed a good one.

Was all hands on deck for great stretchs of the 2nd half. Seven, eight red shirts at a time in Van der Sar's box but Fletcher's header stood up for the Red Devils.

So there. Maybe a race on yet.

By the by, Morinho is a real piece of work. No dought about it.

Don't ever change, baby. Don't-ever-change.

quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

so have chelsea been found out or has makelele's claim of perfection truly cursed the side!

YA UNITED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Think I'll echo Excumbrian here. As much as Chelsea lost today from what I saw if Man. United is their principle rival then the title race realy is over. With daylight in between these two.

I'm sure Morinho will say something along a line of how United didn't win this match, Chelsea lost it. And that may be the most honest thing to come out of his gob this week.

Fun to see Rooney bitting his tongue there once or twice.

united won. chelsea lost. united won the first half. chelsea won the second half. but united scored. don't forget that rooney, and van nistelrooy had CLEAR CUT chances to score in the second half, and scholes one in the first half. that would be 4 goals to the good. chelsea had maybe 2 very clear cut chances - off the top of my head.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by River City

No its not a problem. I just hatre a guy like Morinho who seems to think he is gods gift. He is nothing but a arogant ass, who yes has a pile of Russian Mafia money to spend.

Ballard not spending any has nothing to do with it, I guess Ballard and Pocklington had lots in common.

quote:Originally posted by River City

No its not a problem. I just hatre a guy like Morinho who seems to think he is gods gift. He is nothing but a arogant ass, who yes has a pile of Russian Mafia money to spend.

Ballard not spending any has nothing to do with it, I guess Ballard and Pocklington had lots in common.

A couple of things....

1) Chelsea did overspend on players. I'm assuming that in the case of the Porto players, it was how they could compensate Porto for the loss of the coach.

2) Again, Mourinho plays the press like a fiddle. He is first and foremost a player's coach. They all respond to him and play for him. The work he did in Portugal was nothing short of spectacular, first with team unity and second with the revolutionary concepts he brought in, and the media work was a part of it.

I believe it was during the Chelsea-Barça build-up, someone commented how the strength of Barcelona's strikers were going to be a huge test for Chelsea's defence. His 'arrogant' reply was that, the real test was going to be for the opposition strikers to go up against Terry and company. If you're a Chelsea defender knowing you're going up against a top-notch strikeforce and you read that in the paper, how are you going to feel? That much confidence from your coach IS infectious, and makes the players work that much harder for Mourinho.

3) I agree with you Jeffrey on Van Gaal. He never endeared himself to the fans and in a Club like Barcelona, that is a no-no. As for the Dutch influence, as much as I respect Cruyff, he yields too much backroom power. I'd be ok with it if he was president of the Club though.

4) As for Pocklington, give the man credit for buying the team in the first place, buying the Gretzky contract and then getting the best scouting ever for the first couple of years. And yes, the drafting became a joke after. The 'clueless dolts' though have kept too much faith in their hockey heroes (Lowe, MacTavish) and pretty much left them to make whatever decisions they wanted. At least they never signed McSorley as coach....

quote:Originally posted by Cheeta

I'm sure Morinho will say something along a line of how United didn't win this match, Chelsea lost it. And that may be the most honest thing to come out of his gob this week.

If he says that, he'll be talking out of his arse (again). It was simply a case of United wanting the game more than Chelsea. SAF got his players up for the game better than Jose did with his team. Bbuuuuuttt... the title-race is still over. [:I]

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

If he says that, he'll be talking out of his arse (again). It was simply a case of United wanting the game more than Chelsea. SAF got his players up for the game better than Jose did with his team. Bbuuuuuttt... the title-race is still over. [:I]

What he said was they did not deserve to lose. He went on about how it was not a fair result.

Guest Jeffery S.

If I were Chelsea I would be looking at another striker (instead of having to send Terry forwards), and a bit more ball talent in the midfield. Only have real passing skills with Lampard, and even then not that fantastic, surrounded by your Essien's and Makalele's is not enough, especially when it comes time to hold on to a tight result.

Chelsea is not the most impressive ball control team I have seen.

Also, I personally am not overly impressed by Gallas, but I do admit he is effective. I think this is just a lucky run and when the team falters he will even more.

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

From my experience as an Arsenal fan;

1 Defeat when You're top creates a Domino effect. Watch out Chelsea.

Oh, I guess there you have it. Mourinho better retire now, Kenyon better start selling off all the players while he still can, Abramovich better try to find a buyer for the team. That's it. Chelski is done.

Settle down guys. Noone actually thought they'd win every game. Not even Mourinho. As long as Arjen is still healthy, they're still good.

Archived