The Chelsea lost thread

argh1

We were rubbish last night and got exactly what we deserved - nothing. Essien was unlucky with the effort that hit the post twice but other than that not much to shout about. Will make it all the more sweeter when we beat the scousers at Stamford Bridge now!!!!! :D

It's sad that so many fans and clubs prefer to make themselves feel better by belittling the opposition rather than concentrate on how to improve. Ooooh...Chelsea lost a game. Let's celebrate!

Wouldn't it make more sense to try and figure out what the common threads are in all the games that Chelsea have lost/drawn in the Mourinho era, to see if there's an actual strategy that can work against Chelsea's supposed dominance?

IMO, the only thing they do better than everybody else is that they work as a team, from their practices (which are planned to the minute) to their games. That's their edge.

quote:Originally posted by River City

It's sad that so many fans and clubs prefer to make themselves feel better by belittling the opposition rather than concentrate on how to improve. Ooooh...Chelsea lost a game. Let's celebrate!

Yeah! Lets celebrate indeed. It's more fun when a smaller team wins than the club with all the money, innit?

quote:

Wouldn't it make more sense to try and figure out what the common threads are in all the games that Chelsea have lost/drawn in the Mourinho era, to see if there's an actual strategy that can work against Chelsea's supposed dominance?

I've figured it out already. Chelsea are sh!te away from home in Europe. [:I]

We can always count on amacpher for his objective and insightful analyses :) My point is instead of being jealous and petty about the nouveau riche, worry about your own performance and how to get better.

To quote Clive Woodward, 'Chelsea are the team to chase. Instead of moaning about it, all the other clubs should be trying to find new ways of beating Mourinho. He's raised the benchmark. If you just sit back and say, "They have more money than us, so they are going to beat us," it'll just be a disaster.'

We can always count on amacpher for his objective and insightful analyses :) My point is instead of being jealous and petty about the nouveau riche, worry about your own performance and how to get better.

No, your point was that we shouldn't celebrate when Chelsea loses. Besides, "worrying about the performance" of your main rivals is natural as no team can win a domestic championship without help. Thus, it makes sense to celebrate whenever you get that help.

Even Chelsea would have no chance at winning the EPL unless they get help from the likes of Middleboro, West Brom, Blackburn, etc. to take points away from their main rivals (Arsenal and Man United). [:I]

So you think celebrating when a team loses does not equate with being jealous and petty? I'm happy that Betis' fans are celebrating, because they were actually cheering FOR something, as opposed to those, like you that were just plain cheering AGAINST Chelsea.

As for your second comment, then noone has a chance at winning anything, because everything depends on someone else. I think you just managed to belittle every team that has ever won anything, because ultimately and as an example, the only reason Juventus won Serie A last year wasn't because they were the best team, but rather because the Palermos and Lecces were stealing points from Juve's rivals.

you beat chelsea by drawing out the central defenders - they are slow on their feet, and dominate when they don't have to move from the central 10-20 yards of the park. two quick strikers and some athletic midfielders willing to run beside the front runners and tracking back as well is how you beat chelsea. get under their skin - mourinho's whineyness has begun to seep into the players who are starting to believe the hype - i do however believe they will win everything for a while to come yet.

Guest Jeffery S.

What does not make sense is that Chelsea is so dominant in England, which is a mark against the rest of the teams, and thus the league. Like when Arsenal went pretty well a year without losing. I don't think we see that kind of dominance of a single team in Spain or Italy, at least not for a long time. Meaning it is the other sides in England who should get their acts together, they have the budgets to hire decent players, it is not like Chelsea has the best side around. But with Ferguson and Wenger managing phases of decadence that will not happen too soon.

Truth is Chelsea has not won in Europe away from home since vs. Moscow, almost a year now. And in the Betis match you could see a team constantly whining about little things (Cole, Carvalho), not well concentrated in the middle, and with some serious lagoons up front (Gudjohnsen is not anywhere near world class).

We are hearing about Lampard -to name one of the few really strong players they have, I'd say along with Terry and Makalele- wanting to come to Barça in 2007, but as is I think we have four mids who are better at least in some respect than Lampard. I don't think he'd want to sit on the bench here. So his Catalan girlfriend will just have to wait.

More like Barca wish they could have Lampard, Makalele and Terry. It will never happen though. Terry and Lampard have already turned down approached from several clubs in Europe and also in England. Makalele doesn't have too many years left in him at the top level so there won't be too many clubs willing to pay a transfer fee to buy out the remainder of his contract. He's also stated he wants to see out his career at Chelsea. There you have it. They no more want to go to Barca than Eto'o supposedly wants to come to Chelsea according to certain reports. PS: I hope Eto'o never ends up at ours.

quote:Originally posted by PSG

More like Barca wish they could have Lampard, Makalele and Terry. It will never happen though. Terry and Lampard have already turned down approached from several clubs in Europe and also in England.

I agree about Terry. Also Barca would love to have Gallas. But Makalele and Lampard? No-way! Barca don't need them at all unless two of: vBommel, 'dinho, Deco and Xavi aquire season-long injuries.

So you think celebrating when a team loses does not equate with being jealous and petty? I'm happy that Betis' fans are celebrating, because they were actually cheering FOR something, as opposed to those, like you that were just plain cheering AGAINST Chelsea.

Well, you're over-analysing it. As a football fan its fun to watch the 17th place team in a league beat the richest team on the planet. Plain and simple. If Chelsea had won, that group would have been decided. With Betis winning, now we have more exciting matches within that group to look forward to.

quote:

As for your second comment, then noone has a chance at winning anything, because everything depends on someone else.

Of course they have a chance at winning something because there's a good chance that "someone else" will do their job. For example, if the Serie "A" season ended today, Juventus are champions NOT because Juventus could beat Milan but because Milan dropped points to lesser teams more often. Same reason why Chelsea won EPL last season. Did they beat Arsenal head-to-head? No.

I would be over analysing it if this was the first instance you or some media pundits came out in support of the 'underdogs'. However, it isn't the first time. When something happens on a repeated basis it becomes a pattern. You know that, so don't bother to disguise it in the noble cloak of cheering for the little guy.

As for your Juventus comments, Juventus would be champions because they are the best team in Italy. Even if Milan did beat them. And for the record, I'm a Fiorentina fan, so my feelings for Juve aren't exactly warm and fuzzy. But I give credit where credit is due, and Juve is on top of the standings deservedly. Not because Milan dropped points.

IMO, the only thing they do better than everybody else is that they work as a team, from their practices (which are planned to the minute) to their games. That's their edge.

The only thing they do better than the rest is spend money.

Period full stop. Does not take a brain surgeon to spend like them.

Its not a level playing field.

And to make matter worse thier coach is a comple as0879ole. What a Moron.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

I think it all makes sense now.

Chelsea spending more money than ManUre, Arsenal and Liverpool is bad for the game.

ManUre, Arsenal, Liverpool spending more then Sunderland, Everton, West Ham, etc. is good for the game.

That about sums it all up.

P.S. If you want a level playing field, go watch the NFL.

I do watch the NFL.

But who could lose spending 250 even that Idiot Morhino can get that much money to win. What the Fvuk have Chelski done before the Russian mob money came thier way?

I think most of us have teams we love to see win and teams we love to see lose. For a bunch of reasons. Part of being a fan, that's all.

It's just entertainment so we can escape our real lives for awhile.

Chelski and ManUre happen to be in the category of love to see lose that's all.

QPR and Leeds and Halifax are in the like to see win side.....oh well.

Man City just happens to be, for me, the only EPL team at the moment I like to see win this season. Not to say I can't enjoy a game on the tube between teams where I have no feeling one way or the other.

Now for whatever reason I find I make sure I catch or tape the Saturday French league game this year and can be hit and miss on EPL. Next year maybe the opposite.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by PSG

More like Barca wish they could have Lampard, Makalele and Terry. It will never happen though. Terry and Lampard have already turned down approached from several clubs in Europe and also in England. Makalele doesn't have too many years left in him at the top level so there won't be too many clubs willing to pay a transfer fee to buy out the remainder of his contract. He's also stated he wants to see out his career at Chelsea. There you have it. They no more want to go to Barca than Eto'o supposedly wants to come to Chelsea according to certain reports. PS: I hope Eto'o never ends up at ours.

You are dead wrong about Lampard, he has already put out feelers to see if there is interest from Barça for 2007. But he is not better than Xavi, Van Bommel or Deco, though I would say he is in there.

If you are a Chelsea fan then you'd know that Mourinho already tried for Eto'o and the team is aware that he is far superior to Drogba. Mourinho also would like to see Xavi on the squad, which won't happen as he is a Catalan kid who'll stay here as long as he's wanted.

The only player I could see for Barça at Chelsea is Terry, as we could do with a more classical central defender to accompany Puyol when Marquéz is injured, and I think Terry is above the others we have.

From your posts, you seem to be bitter that Abramovich has money and Mourinho spends it. Could this be latent, pent-up hostility to the fact that Ballard never spent one penny more than he had to on the Leafs?

No its not a problem. I just hatre a guy like Morinho who seems to think he is gods gift. He is nothing but a arogant ass, who yes has a pile of Russian Mafia money to spend.

Ballard not spending any has nothing to do with it, I guess Ballard and Pocklington had lots in common.

Archived