Projected Squad for Luxembourg?

Ian Kennett

Guest Jeffery S.

Just want to jump in on the call-up. Clearly we cannot underestimate Luxembourg, we are not that superior to be thinking about coasting or putting in a full B-team. At least I don't think so. We are playing away too. Let's make sure we can dominate them and not experiment too much.

But fair enough if Frank wants to see a few guys who have been in the picture before, could figure in the future, who maybe need a boost as well. Thus Pozniak, Sulentic if he comes, Friend. Even Ademolu, and leave Gerba off as his last match was really weak, try someone else. It is really not an important moment to think about Jono de G or Fernandes (even though at least both are playing top flight and don't have club games on those dates), as they should really come in when the rival merits folks of their level, when their performances could be meaningful.

I would like to see Hume back in the picture, as he is not playing that much this year and needs a good runout, even someone like Pesch. Also, get Imhof back in, and take advantage of the fact that Grande, Bernier and Ademolu are on form and in fact could benefit from being active these weeks. I would in fact accept it if Friend opted out as he has the Norway Cup this weekend and two promotion playoff games, all critical, and I'd think he should be focusing on them with this club.

Hutchinson is an obvious choice too, unless he has already gone back to Canada after season's ending. He had a weak end of season and is another who needs to get exposure and could use a nice national team result to get confidence back. I think Reda would be someone to call in, and he is in top flight Denmark so no club conflicts there.

Finally, regarding Jason Jordan. I understand the reticences people have. He is effective at Div I level, but I too would have doubts about him doing more at a higher level. I don't think he'd score more than 5 in the English Championship, he'd be a tier 3 player at best. And I am not sure I want him to be called for a few games in a row over others just to find out that I am wrong or right on this.

quote:Originally posted by Joe MacCarthy

If you think I was getting in a shot at Tam because of your Alberta homerism, this time - I wasn't. I'd like to see him back in the fold.

As this isn't a big friendly I'd invite all the "fringe" guys for depth purposes, Josh included. I also don't think Josh has been playing NT footsies like Tam has seemed to. But if it comes down to performance (and I don't really know Joshs' situation, why he isn't playing) I wouldn't invite him either if it was based on present performance (if Josh isn't injured).

Man you've gotten increasingly bitter since the move from Net54. What's up with that?

Well since we moved from Net54 we established a new all-time low for WCQ results. That has a lot to do with apparent bitterness.

Simpson is a bit of a favourite here, yet he is sitting on the bench for a poor 2nd division team. Tam is in the same situation in Germany, scarcely much older yet much more experienced and was very solid in big games against the USA, South Korea, Germany and Switzerland (which I have seen, unlike many here) yet is looked upon as a fringe player. Just calling out everyone to be consistent in their judgement of players. Tam was not called when it counted, obviously thought he should have been (as I do), and told Frank or whatever CSA hack spoke to FO when called for meaningless games. Nothing wrong with that in my book.

Rest assured I have no animosity or bitterness towards you TGJM. We both have the same goals I think.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

Well since we moved from Net54 we established a new all-time low for WCQ results. That has a lot to do with apparent bitterness.

Simpson is a bit of a favourite here, yet he is sitting on the bench for a poor 2nd division team. Tam is in the same situation in Germany, scarcely much older yet much more experienced and was very solid in big games against the USA, South Korea, Germany and Switzerland (which I have seen, unlike many here) yet is looked upon as a fringe player. Just calling out everyone to be consistent in their judgement of players. Tam was not called when it counted, obviously thought he should have been (as I do), and told Frank or whatever CSA hack spoke to FO when called for meaningless games. Nothing wrong with that in my book.

Rest assured I have no animosity or bitterness towards you TGJM. We both have the same goals I think.

Before I saw your post I took off the end of mine because having reconsidered, it was a cheap shot. My apologies.

quote:Originally posted by Sigma

You wouldn't care if Canada was the first team Luxembourg beat in 9-years? [:0]

Nope, wouldn't care. We've got to start winning when it counts. Now it doesn't. Having said that though you always want to play to the best level of your capabilities and I think we are capable of beating a whole lot of other countries. It's time we started to achieve and overachieve again.

Guest Stian Stryni

Local newspaper "Tromso" today announces Stephen Ademolu, Patrice Bernier and Lars Hirschfeld in the squad against Luxembourg.

Guest Stian Stryni

Remeber Ademolu was the deciding factor in Istanbul, giving Tromso the head 0-1 lead (even though it was a bit lucky)

Ademolu was also the deciding factor (if one rules out Hirschfeld) in the penalty shoot-out against Esbjerg in the first UEFA-cup qualifying round, executing the final, deciding penalty perfectly.

Ademolu also scored Tromsos only goal against Rosenborg, even though he earlier in the match missed a gimmee. He is strong, just need to pick his self esteem in his finishing. He is one of the fastest paced strikers around, he is also very good on his head (contradicting his height), though surely surpassed by Friend.

Even though he missed a gimmee against Strasbourg, this was not a riddicolus miss as earlier, where he has stumpled (against rosenborg) or missed from the one meter line (against Rome), he produced Tromsos two real scoring opportunities in Strasbourg. He should have scored at least one, but was unlucky with the post

Looks like it's actually going to be Team Scandinavia vs. Luxembourg. :)

Not that I have problem with that in principle, though I would like to see them involve Thunder Dan in the program one of these days. This is the time to be giving looks at some new players. For that reason I agree with Jeffrey about leaving Gerba off the roster (and not because I feel he was weak against Spain as I maintain he wasn't, albeit didn't set the world on fire). Friend & Ademolu are both worthy of getting a chance to show what they can do was well.

So we have Lars and Kenny in goal, I don,t know what that mean for Sutton. I think the Impact decisison not to release him for the Spain game might cost him a lot on a MNT point of view. Kenny did well against Spain and Lars is playing well since he arrive in Norway. Plus Fernandes who's starting in Greece. If Sutton stays in the A-League I don,t think we'll see him back with the MNT unless something goes wrong with the other keepers.

I think calling Marcel DeJong would be a good idea for this game.

GK: Lars and Kenny

Defender: Kluka (if not healthy call Braz), Reda, Mckenna, Stalteri, Simpson

Mid: DeGuz, DeJong, Grande, Bernier, Dodds

Forward: Ademolu, Friend, Gerba and Hume

The squad :

Hirschfeld, Lars (Tromso), Stamatopoulos, Kenny (FC Boden), Pozniak, Chris (Haugesund FK), McKenna, Kevin (Energie Cottbus), Jazic, Ante (FC Kuban), Simpson, Josh (Millwall), Grande, Sandro (Viking Stavanger), Imhof, Daniel (St. Gallen), Bernier, Patrice (Tromso), Brennan, Jim (Norwich City), Sulentic, Ive (St. Pauli), Hutchinson, Atiba (Helsingborg), Hume, Iain (Leicester City), de Rosario, Dwayne (San Jose Earthquakes), Johnson, Will (Chicago Fire), Ademolu, Stephen (Tromso)

Yallop Announces Squad for Luxembourg

Josh Simpson and Frank Yallop

Photo: Dale MacMillan/CSA

Ottawa, Ontario – Canada’s Senior National Team Head Coach, Frank Yallop, has announced his 16-man roster for the upcoming November 16th international friendly against Luxembourg. The match will be played at the Stade Alphonse Theis in Hesperange, Luxembourg and will be broadcast live at 2pm ET on all of the Rogers Sportsnet channels.

Yallop has recalled several players who featured in Canada’s 2-1 loss to Spain on September 3rd in Santander, Spain.

“This match against Luxembourg will give us an excellent opportunity to take a look at a few players who have been doing very well with their clubs recently,” said Canadian Head Coach Frank Yallop.

Sandro Grande, who netted Canada’s only goal in Santander, will be returning along with several others who have been ever-present in Yallop’s squad of late – Energie Cottbus defender Kevin McKenna; Tromso midfielder Patrice Bernier; Millwall-based winger Josh Simpson along with highly sought-after Atiba Hutchinson of Helsingborg and Major League Soccer MVP candidate Dwayne de Rosario.

FC Boden goalkeeper Kenny Stamatopoulos was rewarded for his performance in Spain with a recall. This time Stamatopoulos will be joined by Bernier’s Tromso teammate Lars Hirschfeld who has been instrumental in the Norwegian club’s march into the group stage of the UEFA Cup.

The Luxembourg match will also provide Yallop the opportunity to see a handful of players that have been in and out of Canada’s lineup over the past year. Haugesund defender Chris Pozniak, FC Kuban’s Ante Jazic, Daniel Imhof of St. Gallen, Leicester City’s Iain Hume and veteran midfielder Jim Brennan of Norwich City have all been included in Canada’s squad of 16.

The friendly will also be a chance for Ive ‘Johnny’ Sulentic, Will Johnson, and Stephen Ademolu to impress Yallop.

For Sulentic, the recall is the first since he made his debut for Canada on January 18, 2004 in a 1-0 victory over Barbados. The invite is also the first since his move from the Vancouver Whitecaps to FC St. Pauli for the 2005/6 season.

Ademolu, who last donned a Canadian jersey during Olympic qualifying in February 2004, earns his first call-up to the senior squad after an impressive season with Norway’s Tromso.

Chicago Fire striker and youth team standout, Will Johnson, has also been included in Yallop’s squad. The 18-year-old played in all three of Canada’s matches at the 2005 FIFA World Youth Championship in Holland this past summer and has been tipped by many to shine when Canada hosts the biennial event in the summer of 2007.

Several players were unavailable for selection – Olivier Occean, Ali Gerba, and Marco Reda are all carrying injuries while Molde FK striker Rob Friend, fresh off his side’s 4-2 victory over Lillestrom in the Norwegian Cup Final (thus guaranteeing a spot in next year’s UEFA Cup) will remain with his club as they prepare for their two-legged series (November 13 and 19) against Moss FK for the right to stay in the Norwegian Premier Division.

Fulham striker Tomasz Radzinski, Deportivo La Coruña midfielder Julian de Guzman, and Tottenham Hotspur defender Paul Stalteri will all remain with their clubs during the international break. Several USL-based players who have featured in the Canadian team of late will also be absent.

“Unfortunately for the USL-based guys, the friendly comes at a time when they have been off for close to two months,” said Yallop. “But at the same time, it allows us to perhaps add to the depth of the squad which would certainly be beneficial down the road.”

The squad will arrive in Luxembourg on Sunday after the weekend fixtures and will train twice before the match on November 16.

Roster for Luxembourg Friendly

# Player Pos. DOB Caps G/S Club Hometown

33 Hirschfeld, Lars GK 10/17/1978 18 5 Tromso Edmonton, AB

1 Stamatopoulos, Kenny GK 8/28/1979 2 0 FC Boden Markham, ON

3 Pozniak, Chris D 01/10/1981 13 0 Haugesund FK Scarborough, ON

4 McKenna, Kevin D 1/21/1980 31 9 Energie Cottbus Calgary, AB

5 Grande, Sandro M 9/29/1977 9 1 Viking Stavanger Montreal, QC

6 Jazic, Ante D/M 2/26/1976 12 0 FC Kuban Halifax, NS

7 Hume, Iain F 10/30/1983 13 0 Leicester City Brampton, ON

8 Imhof, Daniel M 11/22/1977 31 0 St. Gallen Smithers, BC

9 Johnson, Will F 1/21/1987 0 0 Chicago Fire Woodridge, IL

10 Bernier, Patrice M 9/23/1979 13 0 Tromso Montreal, QC

11 Brennan, Jim M 05/08/1977 41 5 Norwich City Newmarket, ON

12 Sulentic, Ive M 12/24/1979 1 0 St. Pauli Richmond, BC

13 Hutchinson, Atiba D/M 02/08/1983 17 2 Helsingborg Brampton, ON

14 de Rosario, Dwayne M/F 5/15/1978 34 7 San Jose Earthquakes Scarborough, ON

15 Simpson, Josh D/M 5/15/1983 12 0 Millwall Victoria, BC

17 Ademolu, Stephen F 10/20/1982 0 0 Tromso Windsor, ON

Staff

Andy Sharpe - Head of Delegation

Frank Yallop - Head Coach

Mark Watson - Assistant Coach

Paul Dolan - Goalkeeper Coach

Richard Bate - Technical Director

Morgan Quarry - Team Manager

Victor Mendes - Equipment Manager

Dave Foley - Physiotherapist

Guest Jeffery S.

Imhof, of course he is at Bochum.

Stamatapolous would be technically back with Enkopings.

I already anticipated the Friend decision, he needs to be with his club.

We heard Lars would not show, I am glad that is wrong and he is here. And am fine with Kenny too.

And great, Watson is the assistant coach. That is bad for the way the old boy system works for Canada. He is anything but objective when it comes to someone that does not sit right with him personally.

And we have Dolan as the keeper coach. Why do we need a keeper coach when we will have two days training or so? This is more old boys crap that the CSA puts up with.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

And we have Dolan as the keeper coach. Why do we need a keeper coach when we will have two days training or so? This is more old boys crap that the CSA puts up with.

The answer is in the question!!! Because the team will have training, you need a GK coach......who's gonna coach the goalies? The communication guys??? Gerry Dobson???

We have played a lot of friendlies like that and it's the first time I've seen somenone take a shot at the GK coach selection. Nice one!!!

I agree that Watson is a poor choice for assistant coach. Mitchell would be a far better choice in my opinion. I think Dolan is fine as keeper coach although I can see your point if we really have so few days of training do we really need the expense of sending such a large contingent.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Sigma

In the past it was always Kevin Muldoon (I believe) who was our keeper coach.

A goalie coach is needed for the two days of training. To not have one would by silly.

Fine, a goalie coach, I stand corrected. I suppose that someone has to do the job while Frank works with the other players.

Archived