Projected Squad for Luxembourg?

Ian Kennett

Given that some players missed Spain and will likely return, and that others may be given a look, who ought to be in the squad?

Fernandes

Sutton

Jazic, Braz, Hastings, McKenna, Stalteri

Grande, Bernier, Imhof, Dodds, de Rosario,

Hume, Occean, Ademolu, Friend

Given that Hastings is now playing regularly in the SPL, the lastes being 90 minutes against Rangers in a 1-1 draw, maybe he should be given another chance. Fernandes is an obvious choice.

What do you think?

Cheers!

Hmmm. Think I might have a go at shooting a few holes in that boat.

Would be stunned to see Braz called, but being Lux. you never know.

Is Jazic even playing? Has he played at all this season? That's not saying that if he's over his ouchs that this friendly shouldn't be used as a bit of a spring board to get him rolling a-gin but I wouldn't recommend it.

Hastings? Well, as has been mentioned it is Lux. If I had my SPL preferences, I think I'd rather have a look at Dodds but wouldn't be particularly adverse to seeing if Hastings has anything better to offer than what some memmories haunt us with this fine Halowe'en.

Where's JB?

Where's Radz? A run against Lux. may be just what the doctor ordered for him. Get him to finding that net again. Poor bugger has the whole of England shaking their collective heads with his antics this year. How has he not netted? How?

Agree on Fernandes. Expect Lars to show up though. Get a half in hopefully. Even just as a reward for turning the year around personaly.

Should be a very curious squad I'm thinking. But Frankie needs to get the lads into a winning groove. Enough of this expectations of improvement/having a look crap.

Kill Luxembourg.

What I dont understand is that 1/2 of the national team plays for the USL, but year after year Jason Jordon wins the scoring title in USL and yet he doesnt play for the national team. I dont see Grande with 19 goals. Of the 6 who played for the gold cup, none had 10 goals. Its true we have strikers but its time to give those who f-in DESERVE it a chance. Our defense is decent to good, but we cant score. So find someone who CAN score!!!!!!![8D]

quote:Originally posted by way2goeh

What I dont understand is that 1/2 of the national team plays for the USL, but year after year Jason Jordon wins the scoring title in USL and yet he doesnt play for the national team. I dont see Grande with 19 goals. Of the 6 who played for the gold cup, none had 10 goals. Its true we have strikers but its time to give those who f-in DESERVE it a chance. Our defense is decent to good, but we cant score. So find someone who CAN score!!!!!!![8D]

jordan has been in camps for Yallop and Osieck, who both seem to have judged him to be below national team material. Given that it's another 3 years until our first competitive match, I'd say he deserves at least one more shot.

Oh, and Grande's a midfielder, why would he score 19 goals?

I would expect a mishmash of a squad this time. Mainly the scandanavian players, a few UK and north american based players and a few surprises. It will be hard for the championship and bundesliga 2 players to leave their teams so I don't expect a lot of them. Probably a small squad, 16 players, none of Stalteri, Radzinski or Deguzeman, with a few already confirmed here are my guesses:

Forewards: Friend, Occean and Gerba.

Midfielders; Hutchinson, Bernier, Grande, Dodds and DeRosario.

Defenders; Pozniak, Jazic and Reda.

Keepers; Sutton and Stamatopoulous

One of Simpson/Hume /Peters

One of Klukowski/McKenna/Braz/Serioux

One of Dejong/Edgar/Ledgerwood

I figure Sutton over Fernandes because I can't imagine the no. 1 keeper not showing for two matches in a row and keeping the no. 1 position. Also I can't imagine taking three keepers to Luxembourg and Kenny is already confirmed.

One of Simpson/Hume/Peters because all three have been brought up through the system and are considered part of the future core of the team.

One of Klukowski/McKenna/Braz/Serioux because the team needs experienced defence.

One of Dejong/Edgar/Ledgerwood because in recent years the team has tended to bring up a young player with potential to have a look at almost all matches. Think Holger with Atiba and Hume, FY with Simpson and Peters.

I agree with this statement. If the league is good enough to supply us with a good chunk of the team, then the MVP and scoring champion of the league whould be among that mix. Whether he's good enough or not, should be judged by his performance with the team, but he's definitely earned his chance.

In response to this post and the post above, can you back up the statement that 1/2 or even a good chunk of the national team plays in the USL?

The team that played against Spain had only 1 player from the USL. Add Sutton and who else? You would have Jordan replace whom exactly?

quote:Originally posted by Ed

In response to this post and the post above, can you back up the statement that 1/2 or even a good chunk of the national team plays in the USL?

The team that played against Spain had only 1 player from the USL. Add Sutton and who else? You would have Jordan replace whom exactly?

Let's be clear, I'm not touting Jordan as a saviour. I'm just saying that he's earned his chance to show his stuff at the top level. If he fails, then at least he got his chance.

As far as who is from the USL, there is Pizzolitto, Grande, Sutton, Gervais, all of whom have played more than just a bit part for the team. So my point is that if these 4 are good enough, shouldn't the MVP of their league be good enough?

quote:Originally posted by Joe MacCarthy

I took cap to mean he hasn't played in a while (possibly Tam). If we're taking it as who hasn't been capped, I don't know who is left, if we count U20 etc. JDG2 and I'm not sure about Fernandes. I don't expect to be amazingly surprised here but there's always hope.

JDG2 has never appeared for Canada in any capacity.

Fernandes has appeared for Canada as the U20s geared up for Spain but was never officially capped at that level. He played against Germany a couple of times when they were still early in the evaluation process and he was on the roster for some other camps but of course never appeared in a FIFA non-friendly game for Canada.

Fearing another 8 page cut and paste of FIFA regulations by beachesl, I will not venture an opinion on whether Sulentic wasa officially capped or not. He did have one friendly appearance last year against Barbados (Sutton's debut as well) with our senior team.

Your post and mentioning Tam brings to mind a post of yours from a month or so ago, where you debate the inclusion of a Cdn who sits on the bench for a bottom team in the 2nd division. Do you feel the same about Josh Simpson then?

Sulentic is cap-tied because he played in the Barbados match in 2004.

Fernandes is also cap-tied, because youth friendlies also count for capping players. Daniel would have been able to switch to Portugal, but he would have had to do it before he turned 21. He is now 22.

I would love to see Tam Nsaliwa's return to the national team.

Fernandes is not capped tied. He played some friendlies, but has never played for Canada in an official FIFA game. Friendlies don't count. He was on the bench for the U20 qualifing, but Karim played all the games. Even after winning the first two games, and having qualified, Mitchal could have played him and capp tied him, however he chose to play Karim again. If Portugal ever called him, he could play for them. And his performances in Greece have been making the papers in Portugal as there are a few younger Portuguese players and coaches in Greece.

Your post and Massive Attack's offer diametrically opposed opinions. Expect an 8 page paste of FIFA regulations.

I believe that 'beachesl's paste jobs indicate that the new rules do indeed cap players for even friendlies. I was of the same opinion as 'Manuel' that friendlies did not cap tie one.

I for one would be a lot happier to see DF playing than pretty much anybody else on the speculation list.

Guest Jeffery S.

Daniel is not capped tied. And he would like to play for Canada. I think the ball is in Yallop's court now, but I am not too optimistic he will make any move on things until events (Daniel's continuity at a top level) make it harder for him to ignore talent at a relatively strong club level.

It is true though that there has been the odd query from Portugal on his status, not surprising since he was in Oporto youth two years and was a teammate of a few guys now on the national team (or occasionally at least, like Helder Postigo), and a lot of the coaching structure there knows who he is.

In Greece too there are those who say he should play for them, as right now he is the strongest young keeper in the league. It seems he takes such comments with a good sense of humour: it is one thing to stay with your club because the fans are behind you, quite another to make a choice to play for a country you have no sentiment for.

And for what I know his sentiments are fully with Canada, I don't think he even takes Portugal that seriously as one of the reasons he left even with offers on the table when he finished at a junior level was that he was not entirely comfortable with a few things there.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

Your post and mentioning Tam brings to mind a post of yours from a month or so ago, where you debate the inclusion of a Cdn who sits on the bench for a bottom team in the 2nd division. Do you feel the same about Josh Simpson then?

If you think I was getting in a shot at Tam because of your Alberta homerism, this time - I wasn't. I'd like to see him back in the fold.

As this isn't a big friendly I'd invite all the "fringe" guys for depth purposes, Josh included. I also don't think Josh has been playing NT footsies like Tam has seemed to. But if it comes down to performance (and I don't really know Joshs' situation, why he isn't playing) I wouldn't invite him either if it was based on present performance (if Josh isn't injured).

Archived