Kevan Pipe villan or hero

john tv

I have been the most supportive guy of Kevan and have always showed my total support. I have continiously made reference to his major accomplishments. These accomplishments are second to none in Candadian soccer history. Yet not one of you had the courtesy to even thank him or even acknowlede this major step for Canadian soccer.I am beginning to seriously question all of you and all your little hang ups.This guy has done and pulled of what all our players in this country need, he worked his as... of and yet not a word.This attitude has to change for the good of soccer you must recognize these feats. I realize that you may have some issues with the CSA but I am sure not one of you is perfect. This gentlemen is perfection to it's highest level. So anyone out there I really would appreciate some comments and please do not be a jerk as some of you can be.

quote:Originally posted by john tv

I have been the most supportive guy of Kevan and have always showed my total support. I have continiously made reference to his major accomplishments. These accomplishments are second to none in Candadian soccer history. Yet not one of you had the courtesy to even thank him or even acknowlede this major step for Canadian soccer.I am beginning to seriously question all of you and all your little hang ups.This guy has done and pulled of what all our players in this country need, he worked his as... of and yet not a word.This attitude has to change for the good of soccer you must recognize these feats. I realize that you may have some issues with the CSA but I am sure not one of you is perfect. This gentlemen is perfection to it's highest level. So anyone out there I really would appreciate some comments and please do not be a jerk as some of you can be.

John tv you were not alone, there were a few of us willing to give Pipe credit for what he has done and to wait and see what transpired with the Toronto stadium venture. He has managed to achieve what none of his predecessors could. Some of Pipe's most severe and durable critics are noticable by their absense from this forum since the deal was closed.

quote:Originally posted by john tv

John tv you were not alone, there were a few of us willing to give Pipe credit for what he has done and to wait and see what transpired with the Toronto stadium venture. He has managed to achieve what none of his predecessors could. Some of Pipe's most severe and durable critics are noticable by their absense from this forum since the deal was closed.

I've long been critical of Pipe, however I must in this case grudgingly admit that he has really come through for Canada. I don't think that this makes up for his decades of poor leadership, however it is a very big step in the right direction, and I think that Pipe deserves a good share of credit for persevering and for bringing the main parties together. Perhaps Kevan has turned over a new leaf and will continue to deliver the goods for us... time will tell, but today he has earned our applause in my opinion.

quote:Originally posted by Richard

I too support Kevan Pipe. While yes, he is open for criticism due to the problems that our program has suffered through the past number of years, under his watch other things of a positive nature have occured such as the improved National Team system, the women, the youth team in Spain, a Gold Cup with Holger and now a stadium and after a gap of more than 20 years, a truly professional soccer club.

If Pipe had not been behind the stadium, it would not have happened. No stadium, no MLSE or MLS. Kevan deserves great credit for his perseverence.

It is a huge step in the road back to the World Cup. For the first time since 1984, full-time professional soccer is back (or at least will be in 2007).

Thanks Kevan!

db

quote:Originally posted by dbailey62

I too support Kevan Pipe. While yes, he is open for criticism due to the problems that our program has suffered through the past number of years, under his watch other things of a positive nature have occured such as the improved National Team system, the women, the youth team in Spain, a Gold Cup with Holger and now a stadium and after a gap of more than 20 years, a truly professional soccer club.

If Pipe had not been behind the stadium, it would not have happened. No stadium, no MLSE or MLS. Kevan deserves great credit for his perseverence.

It is a huge step in the road back to the World Cup. For the first time since 1984, full-time professional soccer is back (or at least will be in 2007).

Thanks Kevan!

db

Without the MLSE money, kevin would still be in Ottawa sitting in the 2 million dollar waste of space- that is the CSA HQ- jerking off with not single venue for 07 even started.

20 years and this is redemption? A possible team in a crap league in a stadium that hasn't been built yet?

I mean whoever was head of the CSA in 1982 when their were 5 Canadian teams in the NASL must be a GOD.

NO world cup since 86.

PEOPLE WAKE UP- this was luck and the results aren't in.

Some of us have sent (or in the midst of sending) our own private congratulatory notes to the people involved in making this happen. Don't make the mistake in thinking that everything we write or say about Canadian soccer shows up on this forum.

In any event, I'm not a member of the Kevan Pipe fan club but I give him full credit for getting this done. He kept at it when it would have been so easy to walk away after a couple of setbacks.

Nether Hero Nor Villain,

He's just kinda there... and it seems that's the way will always be.

After 20 years on the job I'd hope that his legacy would be more than just a stadium. Our National team is worse off than it was 20 years ago despite the fact that the CSA has benefited quite nicely from the demographics of this country (boom, bust, echo anyone?). We had one semi-pro league go belly up. Countless saviours at the helm of the National Team, and our biggest success came with a German who many round here seem to despise. I think we could use a few more Holgers in the system, things might just work a little better.

Can he take credit for having over 800,000 registered players? Could he have done a better job weilding some referential power with that base?

Sure he may have worked hard, but did he work smart?

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

He gave MLSE too much. He sold his integrity as a head of CANADIAN soccer for a Toronto club side.

I blame the media.

Daniel your a mamby pabmy. How did MLSE get to much. They put in 8 million to the Stadium, will put 10 Million in on nameing rights and will spend 15 Million for the MLS team.

So bright boy tell me how they got to much for putting up 33 Million.

Go grind your axe elswere. Negativity sucks.

Gentlemen I am blown away with the little response and than some tongue and cheek stuff and even some negative observations.

What he pulled of is mastery at it's very best. Starting with getting the FIFA to award the U-20,than bringing in the MLSE and MLS,the Canadian Government, The Ontario Government, and the City of Toronto with it's great support by the Mayor and others.Prior to this, his accomplishements in Edmonton blew the FIFA away,thanks also to the girls.Attracting some of the finest coaches on the National level and being part of the Gold Cup succes.

We are going in the only direction, straight forward and with some great goals in mind.

The only think I can think of that even vaguely resembles vision or leadership in the last decade is the decision to do the first FIFA U-19 WWC. The Stadium and MLS deal is the inevitable result of a visionless, rudderless organization that continually settles for the least possible. The only thing Pipe has going for him is that many people will always look in and say, "he did the best he could with the little he had" and lack the imagination to realize that more was possible.

Thanks Richard, it is indeed a pitty that this seem to occur as well as being the case.You know something I am so full of enthousiasm it is scary, but when I look back I feel good about it and I can look anybody straight in the eye. I wonder how many on this board can say that or do that.

PS I hope that Vancouver will join the MSL soon as well, we need you guys badly.

Guest Jeffery S.

I have never been a Pipe basher, I am more critical of the CSA. I think a president has to be on top of things, on top of his staff, and has to work for results on the field. And the soccer people have to have the necessary resources to be able to get those results.

So I will admit that some of the off the field stuff can be credited to Pipe.

Still, I don't think we should over exagerrate the stadium-MLS nexus. First off, anyone who thinks the level of play from Div I to MLS is that huge, I would say that given the budget differences it is in fact quite small, and this is something that the players themselves know perfectly well. Add to that the fact that MLS destroys the Lynx, meaning we are losing something -a team with Canadian players- with this as well.

With this move Pipe is seen to favour one city over the rest, and there is bitter feeling from wealthy owners in Mtl and Vancouver putting up their own money to make soccer happen when the CSA is steering huge quantities to another city to promote a league they will not be able to get into for at least 4-5 years, if lucky. I am not saying they are entirely right, but the bad blood cannot be denied.

Further to this, there are many things that we can criticize the CSA for. We went almost three years without a home game a while back, and there are still too few men's friendlies. The game is thus promoted badly at home. This also means that the national team is not well distributed around the country, only certain cities get to see games: it is not considered a national asset to be shared by all.

Nor does the CSA have vision to help the existing teams in the country, though we do find our national coach draws from them for the squad. Contradiction? Six Impacts are good enough for Yallop, but we are all thinking that the new MLS franchise in TO will be a radical change? I think it may, and only may, result in a slight change in level for Canada. We have no national cup, which for all his connections with monied types Pipe could work for, and we are probably the only decent soccer country in the Western hemisphere with no representation in regional club competitions. Pipe and his boys could not give a damn about this.

These are all huge gaps. I think that if you are going to get MLSE involved you have to tie that in to getting them to help the national game, using their pull with TV and sponsors for other necessary events.

Pipe has gone for the big fish, and he has caught it. Credit to him. But his organization, and not just him, are in general doing only an average job in bringing in the little fishies that Canada needs to really improve as a soccer nation.

Richard I tried to get the enthousiasm from this board that is so needed. I wonder if any of these guys will ever show up at a MLS game. Afterall they have a very questionable and even negative attitude and certainly a tremendous lack of of enthousiasm.Maybe they will be the ones that throw the firecrackers and make a mess out of it.

Whatever it is going to happen and it will be a blast and we will finally showcase some of our great Canadain players and we will see those exhibition games with Canadian teams and we will see our girls finally get the support and recognition they deserve in the East and we will convey a message of being a great international sport and we will showcase Canada all over the world and you know something that little general Pipe pulled it of on our behalf.

Thank you Richard for your great support.

quote:I have been the most supportive guy of Kevan and have always showed my total support. I have continiously made reference to his major accomplishments. These accomplishments are second to none in Candadian soccer history. Yet not one of you had the courtesy to even thank him or even acknowlede this major step for Canadian soccer.I am beginning to seriously question all of you and all your little hang ups.This guy has done and pulled of what all our players in this country need, he worked his as... of and yet not a word.This attitude has to change for the good of soccer you must recognize these feats. I realize that you may have some issues with the CSA but I am sure not one of you is perfect. This gentlemen is perfection to it's highest level. So anyone out there I really would appreciate some comments and please do not be a jerk as some of you can be.

quote:Kevin Pipe took alot of flack for sure, but when I watched soccercentral he seemed to be the most relieved person when Toronto City Counsil passed the stadium. Good for Mr. Pipe, this maybe his biggest legacy as COO of the CSA

ROBERT! WHERE ARE YOU!!!!

quote:Originally posted by Johnnie Monster

So my only choices are "hero" and "villain" ?

Why isn't there an option for "incompentent turd" ?

That term is reserved for the Duzz's destruction of Canada's National team. Worst coach in histry of Canadian soccer.

Guest Jeffery S.

With all due respects, why do I think this thread was started as a way of ingratiating oneself to certain people in power, considering a lot of interesting soccer jobs are going to be available with MLS in Toronto?

Sorry John, but you are really exageratting this whole thing I think. In the end MLS is just a division up from "A-League", US Open Cup results indicate the leap is not that great (pretty well similar to other soccer nations), and there are even some lower tier teams drawing close to MLS teams (Montreal). Further to that, folks are incorrectly buying into the MLS propoganda that they have had a big role in the rise of the US national team. I think that it is a bit of a factor, but the reality is that the US nats overperform, while the competitive level of the MLS clubs is probably around the level of a no. 20-25 ranked league in the world.

I am quite sure we get as much (for strengthening the Canadian player pool) with the experience of our 6 guys in top flight Norway, four of them playing the UEFA cup. And to boot they get paid better than they would in MLS.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

With all due respects, why do I think this thread was started as a way of ingratiating oneself to certain people in power, considering a lot of interesting soccer jobs are going to be available with MLS in Toronto?

Sorry John, but you are really exageratting this whole thing I think. In the end MLS is just a division up from "A-League", US Open Cup results indicate the leap is not that great (pretty well similar to other soccer nations), and there are even some lower tier teams drawing close to MLS teams (Montreal). Further to that, folks are incorrectly buying into the MLS propoganda that they have had a big role in the rise of the US national team. I think that it is a bit of a factor, but the reality is that the US nats overperform, while the competitive level of the MLS clubs is probably around the level of a no. 20-25 ranked league in the world.

I am quite sure we get as much (for strengthening the Canadian player pool) with the experience of our 6 guys in top flight Norway, four of them playing the UEFA cup. And to boot they get paid better than they would in MLS.

So are you suggesting MLS is not worth the trouble and we should simply continue as we are?

Archived