Lobby your TO City Councillor Tuesday!

Guest Dave

OK folks, this is a wake up call. We have only one chance at WYC and MLS, and jackasses like Bob McClown are doing everything in their power to sink it. If you live in TO, and you don't want Canadian soccer to languish for another decade, STEP UP TO THE PLATE NOW AND MAKE A DIFFERENCE!

Call your City Councillor tomorrow (Tuesday) and explain the REAL facts. As things stand, many councillors likely don't understand the real issues, and are being misled by the soccer hating lobby. Remind them that this is about the WYC and a chance for young Canadians (many from TO) to make a mark on the world stage, put Toronto on the map. Don't let McClown set the agenda by dwelling on the "handouts to pro sport" angle. Remind them also that the City will end up owning a facility that they are only paying a small fraction of. The stadium will be owned by the City, not MLSE, hence if anything this is a giveaway by MLSE to the City, since MLSE is putting in money too, and will cover any cost overruns. The City should be glad to have a private corporation putting money into a public asset.

This is important guys, so call your Councillor's office tomorrow. Instead of writing another response to G-Man, do something that might actually make a difference for our great sport. G-Man will doubtless be quick to ridicule this post... I don't intend to answer him, since I prefer to use my time constructively. I urge our Toronto members to do the same.

If this thing gets defeated on Wednesday, you'll want to at least be able to look in the mirror and know that you did what you could.

Even though he doesn't live in TO, Dave is right. Toronto has an opportunity to gain a valuable soccer specific stadium on Wednesday, and there's still time for everyone on this board who's in the GTA, or even just outside the 416 to make your voice heard. Here's a few ideas of quick things you you can do:

Contact as many City Councillors as you can! Here's a list and the the wards they represent:

http://app.toronto.ca/im/council/councillors.jsp

Call the Fan 590 during McCown's show or ANY open line segment! Express your support for the stadium!

Write Letters to the Editor to The Star, The Sun, The Globe and Mail, & The National Post, & any other paper that publishes before Wednesday. If you write today, there's time to get your letter in the paper by Wednesday.

If there's an opportunity to speak before Council on Wednesday, attend if you can and take it!

Those are a few ideas. Let's hear more! We all know Soccer Specific Stadiums are needed across Canada, and we have a say in making it happen right now. Decisions are made by the people who show up, and now is the time.

Cheers,

Bill Currie

Thanks for posting the link to TO City Councillors. This list contains phone numbers and emails for each councillor. Having had some life experience dealing with politicians and policymaking, my advice would be to reach them by phone tomorrow if possible, and then to follow up with a polite "reminder" email. (ie, "Just wanted to take the opportunity to thank you for taking the time to hear my input on the soccer stadium issue earlier today.... etc"). Otherwise, email should only be a last resort if you are unable to make contact otherwise, since most politicians don't bother reading their email themselves, but have some office flunky do it.

Also, even if you live out in Markham or whatever, you could still call from your office tomorrow and claim that you live in their ward [:P]

The agenda for Toronto City Council is out.

Agenda

Unfortunately the report and attachments for the Policy and Finance Committee is unavailable (that would be the juicy stuff).

It is item D on the agenda, but well down the list of committee reports. With the committee report for Policy and Finance it is item number 36. My guess is it will be the afternoon before this is dealt with.

However, having council clerked in the past, it seems as though councillors have yet to receive the information and reports that was requested by the P & F committee. That would explain the councillors on the radio today not really having all the pieces to the puzzle.

Gee wizz,I thought I had posted this request some time ago. When I called my guy,I spoke to his secretary a lovely woman with an English accent. She was surprised I was the first one that called sofar and she added "I hope we get the stadium,we need it in Toronto"

It seems that I am getting some support from you guys when there are references made to soccer haters,well that again is the wonderfull Toronto media.Once we have these guys licked and I believe that this corporate nut is to big to crack,they will response more responsably and hopefully as I have said before we may see a new breed of reporters soccer ones that is. Now must concentrate on the columnist and get them turned around. I guess we will be seing some great new media exciting times. I can't wait to give Hunt my friendly finger. Him and I go back a long time and we are good friends but on different sides. Ok Jimmy see you at the media conferences and if there is one I will call you personally to make sure you are there. I may even talk Bobby macG into going.

Good idea, and thanks to someone from Vancouver for posting the Toronto link!

I contacted my councillor (Olivia Chow) and spoke with someone in her office. She was cognisant of the issue, and believed that Olivia was supportive of the stadium. But I could see Olivia Chow going either way on the stadium issue, given her NDP background. But she is pretty chummy with Miller.

(Oh, the receptionist took down my name, but not an address or a phone number - so unless they are going to check me against the voter registry, then feel free to call your "local" councillor :) )

The report by Finance Cmtee to City Council is now online:

http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/2005/agendas/council/cc051026/pof9rpt/cl036.pdf

I'm still sifting through it, but my first impression is quite favourable. Clear evidence that McCLown and others (including the two Councilors on his show last night) have no clue regarding the actual financial terms of the agreement. If these guys vote this down they are braindead.

Thanks for that link Dave. One thing that stands out to me is that the stadium has to also be designed for football use as well. I've tried to find the Appendices but have had no luck.

I contacted the two councillors who were on the Fan 590 yesterday. With David Shiner I just left a message stating that I support the stadium. I had to leave an adress, I made one up (note: I used google maps to find a street in his ward). With Sylvia Watson I called but her secretary told me to email her, which I did.

quote:Originally posted by Dave

From the report:

"The following persons addressed the Policy and Finance Committee:

Mr. Kevan Pipe, Chief Operating Officer, Canadian Soccer Association

Mr. Alan Kasperski, and filed a written submission with respect thereto; and

Mr. Vijay Setlur

The following Members of Council also address the Policy and Finance Committee:

Councillor Mark Grimes, Etobicoke-Lakeshore

Councillor David Shiner, Willowdale

Councillor Sylvia Watson, Parkdale-High Park"

So this answers a few questions. It explains that Bob McCown didn't just happen to pick two councillors out of the blue who both happened to be concerned about the stadium he went out found them based upon their appearance here. Meanwhile, Mark Grimes, who's very pro stadium, doesn't get invited onto his show. Not a media-conspiracy.

Also what is with this Kasperski guy and his one-man mission to derail Canadian soccer? Enough already. Thankfully if that is the Vijay I know, he'll have voiced his approval of the stadium.

Peter Irvine, also of the FAN was on Global TV Sportsline last night and recommended that people go to the City hall to voice their support during the discussions of the stadium, though he warned that it could happen anytime during the day so you could be waiting a while.

quote:Originally posted by Dave

From the report:

"The following persons addressed the Policy and Finance Committee:

Mr. Kevan Pipe, Chief Operating Officer, Canadian Soccer Association

Mr. Alan Kasperski, and filed a written submission with respect thereto; and

Mr. Vijay Setlur

The following Members of Council also address the Policy and Finance Committee:

Councillor Mark Grimes, Etobicoke-Lakeshore

Councillor David Shiner, Willowdale

Councillor Sylvia Watson, Parkdale-High Park"

So this answers a few questions. It explains that Bob McCown didn't just happen to pick two councillors out of the blue who both happened to be concerned about the stadium he went out found them based upon their appearance here. Meanwhile, Mark Grimes, who's very pro stadium, doesn't get invited onto his show. Not a media-conspiracy.

Also what is with this Kasperski guy and his one-man mission to derail Canadian soccer? Enough already. Thankfully if that is the Vijay I know, he'll have voiced his approval of the stadium.

Peter Irvine, also of the FAN was on Global TV Sportsline last night and recommended that people go to the City hall to voice their support during the discussions of the stadium, though he warned that it could happen anytime during the day so you could be waiting a while.

Not a media conspiricy, yah right,anyway someone else said the boo boo words.I guess I have the law on my side for a change. Call it what you like,take your pick. In the meantime these guys are going to eat crow and I wonder what they are talking about in their dark little corners fantacizing about how they can stick it to us.Let us hope they will become grown up men and join an exciting and wonderfull world with little or no drug use,a healthy creative sport that can help Canada shine on their own.

Now about that vote Wed. I gather Kevan made a very good presentation and I assume that this may very well have helped tremendously. So Kevan,I know you don't read this stuff,but just in case, thank so much for your extremely hard work and dedication to soccer in Canada and the stadium in particular.

I am very busy tomorrow so I will try to catch the obvious result on the radio and will have my toast somewhere.

Thanks Kevan,down the hatch!

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Also what is with this Kasperski guy and his one-man mission to derail Canadian soccer?

I must have missed something here GL. Where are you getting that Kasperski is against the project? Seems to me that the other two guys he's listed beside (if that's the Vijay we're both thinking of) are both pro-stadium, so why not him?

Last chance this morning guys! I'm still actively firing off emails to try to sway a few Council votes. Send emails, or better yet, call your Councillor's office prior to 9 AM ET.

You may be sure that Perkins, Kasperski et al won't quit, so we have to fight this to the end.

quote:Originally posted by Varsity Tyler

I must have missed something here GL. Where are you getting that Kasperski is against the project? Seems to me that the other two guys he's listed beside (if that's the Vijay we're both thinking of) are both pro-stadium, so why not him?

Kasperski has been in the papers as a 'concerned citizen' voicing ill-informed opposition to the stadium.

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

Kasperski has been in the papers as a 'concerned citizen' voicing ill-informed opposition to the stadium.

Thanks. I actaully just read Perkins' latest. Don't real journalists usually have to quote more than one source? I know Perkins has a column but I thought it was only for baseball.

Archived