The Canuck team of Norway: Tromso IL

Guest Stian Stryni

Guest Stian Stryni

Tromso must be "The Canuck Team" of Norway, with three canadian players in the starting lineup.

My thought was that this thread could be used give you news about the canadians in Tromso!

I have two summary movieclips of Tromso in the UEFA-cup for your pleasure. Featuring Lars "The King" Hirschfeld, Patrice Bernier and Stephen Ademolu.

return match TIL - Esbjerg fB in Tromso where Tromso won on penaltyshoot-out. 3-2 after winning away and loosing home 1-0:

http://stryni.servehttp.com/2005/08.25%20TIL%20-%20EfB/2005-08-25_TIL-EfB_Summary.avi

The away game against Galatasaray which we drew 1-1 thus sending us to the UEFA-cup groupstage (Goal by Ademolu (Bernier)):

http://stryni.servehttp.com/2005/09.29%20Galatasaray%20-%20TIL/Highlights%20Eurosport%20Norwegian%20Comments.avi

Pictures from the first match of the UEFA-cup groupstage against AS Roma!

imgp4444.jpg

http://stryni.servehttp.com/2005/10.20%20TIL%20-%20AS%20Roma/

Pictures from the latest game against Viking yesterday which we won 1-0, thus avoiding relegation!

imgp4514.jpg

http://stryni.servehttp.com/2005/10.23%20TIL%20-%20Viking/

---

Lars Hirschfeld has also opened for contract discussions now, reports local newspapers, as Tromso avoided relegation.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

Thanks for the clips Stian. So, what will Tromso be doing to stay in shape for their UEFA matches. Is there going to be another Royal League this year?

Royal League is only for the top teams in the league, Tromso is not qualified for it for next season as they are lower mid table. Last season they were close to winning the league and I think came fourth in the end.

I agree though that if they get through this round, which will be difficult, they'll have to be ready very early for what comes next.

What's ironic about the Royal League is that it was argumented that the league would give match practice to the teams in the European Cup, so that they'd be fit for the time after the league ended. However, as the teams that qualify for the Royal League one year are not the same teams that qualified for the UEFA/CL the year before, the argument is moot.

On a side note, I just bought FM2005 (fabolous management game, though I'm unsure if it's sold in North America), and I'm already hoping they're making a patch soon. I was going for Tromsø, of course, but, according to FM, Ademolu is from the US, Hirschfeld does not have a second nationality as German (meaning he counts towards the max number of non-EU players), and Bernier is in the reserves. Strange errors to make. Anyways, I'll be toying around with the editor now to get the stats straight.

quote:Originally posted by Salmon

On a side note, I just bought FM2005 (fabolous management game, though I'm unsure if it's sold in North America), and I'm already hoping they're making a patch soon. I was going for Tromsø, of course, but, according to FM, Ademolu is from the US, Hirschfeld does not have a second nationality as German (meaning he counts towards the max number of non-EU players), and Bernier is in the reserves. Strange errors to make. Anyways, I'll be toying around with the editor now to get the stats straight.

There are a number of non-EU players including Lars that have EU passports and therefore count as domestics.

quote:Originally posted by Salmon

What's ironic about the Royal League is that it was argumented that the league would give match practice to the teams in the European Cup, so that they'd be fit for the time after the league ended. However, as the teams that qualify for the Royal League one year are not the same teams that qualified for the UEFA/CL the year before, the argument is moot.

Your game should come with an editor to change all that stuff. If it has Ademolu, I think you might have the current version? IIRC, he was never added to FM2005?

quote:Originally posted by Stian Stryni

Tromso must be "The Canuck Team" of Norway, with three canadian players in the starting lineup.

Well, Stian the four boys in Haugesund might beg to differ with that. :)

Happily for us the four Canadians playing for Haugesund have been promoted to the Adeccoligaen and with that I'd like to ask if we can avail ourselves of your services for an occasional translation so we can keep an eye on them.

Tks for your interest in the Tromso boys. What is your take on Bernier moving or what will happen with Lars.

Guest Stian Stryni

I happily devote my translation services to you! Haugesund deserves to be promoted, and all honour to the canadians staying with them through the relegation (I just knew about Chris though)

Now that we avoided relegation Bernier and Hirschfeld might stay till the summer at least (hopefully.) Patrice looks to be very eager to go on to the next level, but there hasn't been to much interest yet from international clubs. Both Patrice and Hirschfeld are wanted by other clubs in Norway, but I don't think they will go anywhere in Norway. (Though Rosenborg probably is tempting - they have a strong economy after playing in the Champions League each year the last 10 years or something)

Much of this is of course depending on who will be coaching the team next year. Steinar Nilsen our current coach, who took over when Otto was sacked in august is not too eager to continue. Nilsen is rated the best coach this autumn with a record of: 6-3-1 21 points and a goal difference of 14-8, and on a current run of five consecutive victories. Beating higher rated teams like Lillestrom SK (4th), Start (1st), FC Lyn Oslo (3rd) and Viking FK (5th)

So until the coach question is decided I'm not sure about these guys. Stephen Ademolu is happy to stay with us still :)

Lately Lars has been bothered by a mild hamstring(?) (strekk) lately but our medical team is working on that. He is not been taking the 5-metres for a while, but it doesn't seem to bother him to much.

Guest Stian Stryni
quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

Thanks for the clips Stian. So, what will Tromso be doing to stay in shape for their UEFA matches. Is there going to be another Royal League this year?

I haven't heard any plans as of yet. I guess they will schedule some training matches. As norway will be playing play-off matches against the Cech 11/12 and 11/16 i'm excited to seem against whom we might play.

10/29 Rosenborg - TIL

11/03 Strasbourg - TIL

11/12 Norway - Cech Republic

11/16 Cech Rep - Norway

11/24 TIL - Red Star Beograd

12/01 FC Basel - TIL

No Royal League for Tromso, Viking has a theoretical possibility to reach the RL if Lyn or Lillestrom loses their last match and Viking wins.

Tromso has only one player on the norwegian national team: Ole Martin Aarst.

Will Patrice be playing any matches for Canada in this period?

Guest Stian Stryni

With yet another outstanding match the rumors are high flying around Lars Hirschfeld.

Rosenborg's 2nd keeper Ivar Ronningen is supposedly leaving, wanting to see more play time. Espen Johnsen is RBK's first choice and Knut Borch which has signed a long-term contract is presumably TIL's first choice. The question is if Lars is interested in playing second fiddle (?), or that's not a question, we all know he want's first team football. This is why Lillestrom and FC Lyn Oslo are interesting choices for Lars, here he will be the first choice.

"Our keeper Al Habsi goes to england december 31, and we need a new keeper. Lars Hirschfeld is a good keeper, but I wont comment if we are going for him, says Lyn boss Morgan Andersen (known from the Jon Obi Mikel/****tu case)"

Hirschfeld him self states that he don't know where he'll play.

"This has been the best experience in my career. That's thanks to the boys. The solidarity is extremly good, Lars Hirscfeld smiles"

Against Rosenborg he was yet again a giant. In the first half he served a one-hand-save in world class. In the second half he saved in an extraordinary way a shot from Oyvind Storflor.

"I cannot get emotionally caugth in every save. Then i'll loose focus, explains the soughtafter keeper"

Patrick Mork, Lars Hirschfeld's agent says TIL is an alternative for the next season. Lars has offers from several clubs, but he is enjoying it so much in Tromso that TIL is an option, even though he has better economic alternatives other places, says Mork, who wont comment on the interess from Rosenborg. Lars has received offers from both norwegian and foreign clubs, says Mork.

Guest Stian Stryni

http://www.nordlys.no/sporten/til-magasinet/article1804129.ece

May end up in Lerkendal

TRONDHEIM: RBK-coach Hogmo wont acknowledge it. But both Patrice Bernier and Lars Hirschfeld are wanted in Lerkendel next year.

RBK 1-1 TIL

All 21.258 spectators in Lerkendal saturday knows why. Bernier and Hirschfeld was the dominating players on the pitch.

* Bernier was making havoc on the midfield, run at least 10-15 kilometers and was brilliant with the ball. He was several classes above one of Aage Hareides (note: coach of Norway) most bethroted men: Jan Gunnar Solli.

* Hirschfeld played another amazing match. Fantastic saves on the line, and was exceptional in deciding one-on-one situations.

- A class keeper, says Rosenborg coach Per-Mathias Hogmo

- It is Lars, Patrice and Ole Martin who pushes TIL forward in this match.

He wont tell if Rosenborg will go for these profiles the next season.

- We have been in browsing mode until now. After the Real Madrid game (on tuesday) we'll see what we'll do. All our players are under contract.

No-one in TIL will be suprised if Rosenborg during the next weeks will try to secure Lars and Patrice.

-It's not impossible that RBK will put 20-25 million kroner (Besiktas offered 10 M) on the table for Patrice, says Bjorn Johansen (Veteran hero who retires after this season)

He is clear on this: TIL must stretch as far as possible to keep both Bernier and Hirschfeld.

- We see it against RBK, and we have seen it before, these are players which holds a high level. Lars produces saves in the world class. And Patrice is just playing with Rosenborg (like stealing candy from kids). Of course it's important for Tromso to keep these players, but there are a limit to what one can say no to. (20 million?)

Another veteran, Morten Pedersen, says this:

- TIL must do everything to keep Lars and Patrice. They are two of the most importants players we have.

Guest Stian Stryni

Rosenborg is closing in on Lars Hirschfeld, reports Adresseavisen today.

If we can believe the newspaper, Lars Hirschfeld is a clear first choice as second keeper Ivar Rønningen is leaving Rosenborg for Molde.

Local newspaper #171;Tromsø#187; sits on information that FC Lyn Oslo is closer than Rosenborg in their pursuit.

FC Lyn Oslo offers the first keeper spot, and UEFA-cup qualifying next year. (Rosenborg offers the second spot and no UEFA-cup or CL as they also just avoided relegation this season. That is if they don't win the Champions League, I'll have to see that before I believe it)

Hirschfeld's advantage (as a candian) is that he has a german passport, and thus doesn't count against the foreigner qouta. (Not more than 2 players from Non-EU countries may be in the team, that is 2 including the players on the pitch and on the bench) This exact reason is why Daniel Torres (costa rica) left Tromsø just weeks after Stephen Admemolu arrived.

What counts against Tromsø's chances in keeping Lars is the fact that our head coach Steinar Nilsen has declined to continue coaching the club after this season. No new coach has been announced as of yet. The new coach will be the tenth coach in ten years...

Archived