Goodbye TLN

Chet

Shaw cable in Edmonton is moving TLN to digital-only starting November 2. Is the same thing happening elsewhere?

Sadly, this means no more Italian soccer and very little Champions League for me. There's no way I can afford digital cable on my current salary. Oh well.

Here is the announcement from TLN's site

http://www.tlntv.com/main/news/SHAW_announcement.htm

It's moving to digital in Western Canada and Northern Ontario (which is virtually the only place where Shaw cable operates). No indication if this is part of a larger change in Shaw's line-up.

If they're not replacing it with something else, they had better cut their rates. How likely is that?

The Shaw's own TLN. Since TLN's advertisers are mostly in Toronto they won't care about the reduced Western audience. Shaw must think they can get more people to sign up for digital.

quote:Originally posted by DoyleG

If that's the case, then my bill should go down.

Any other channels that are affected?

Who knows? The only information about the change so far has come from TLN. Shaw hasn't bothered to inform any of their subscribers. Most viewers won't know anything about it until they flip to TLN and see nothing but snow.

I phoned Shaw today to ask if my bill would go down now that they were moving TLN out of regular cable. The man said that billing will not go down because they were going to replace TLN with another channel. So I asked, what channel would that be and he said they still don't know. I said, but in less than a week you are doing this change and you don't know what channel, you guys are hopeless, and I hung up.

Archived