Hamilton Thunder Franchise Revoked

L.T.

HAMILTON THUNDER FRANCHISE REVOKED

TORONTO – Friday, October 21 - The franchise of the Hamilton Thunder Soccer Club as a member of the Canadian Professional Soccer League, has been revoked by the CPSL Board of Governors.

This was announced by league commissioner Cary Kaplan today, and is effective immediately.

The CPSL believes that the Hamilton market, with its long history in professional soccer and always passionate fan base, is a desirable soccer location such that applications to return professional soccer to the city will be encouraged.

who thought the CPSL would actually expand? I did.

Now no Hamilton Thunder (or may be replaced).

Laval Dynamites were upset about the travelling last year and especially the midweek playoff game.

Durham Storm were suspended with three games to go...

There better be a rush of these new ethnic teams or there'll be less teams than last year!

Thats too bad to hear... Could this make room for Hamilton (should the MLS come to Toronto) to take on the Lynx?

I understand that The CPSL is differant than USL Div. 1. I know it is bad for the CPSL because they wouldent get a "replacement team" rather Hamilton would be "promoted" to USL Div. 1 (which would still give the north-east 3 teams, Montreal-Rochester-Hamilton)

But... If the CPSL was planning to expand, maybe it's not such a bad idea? There would be enough clubs to have a sufficiant competition.

I guess what Im trying to say is either or I would like to see Hamilton have some sort of "pro," "semi-pro" club.

quote:Originally posted by Rocket Robin

who thought the CPSL would actually expand? I did.

Now no Hamilton Thunder (or may be replaced).

Laval Dynamites were upset about the travelling last year and especially the midweek playoff game.

Durham Storm were suspended with three games to go...

There better be a rush of these new ethnic teams or there'll be less teams than last year!

I think it's good. Laval is too far at this stage of the game. Durham couldn't even get enough players to the games, and this is the second team that's disappeared in Durham. As for Hamilton, well, I guess they've been having ownership issues. Even though on the field they were pretty good, nobody paid any attention to them so it really can only go up.

I really hope they don't over do it with the "ethnic" stuff cause that expirement will only last a season or two.

As for the Lynx in Hamilton, well their colours are black and gold so maybe it's their destiny. [:P] But seriously, I don't think it would be successful. I think it would be better for a Hamilton entry in the CPSL which would allow for more natural "rivals" like London, Oakville, St. Catherines, 10 Toronto teams, etc.

Guest HamiltonSteelers

If you could see my face right now, you could easily mistake my reaction for bored, disinterested, unastonished.

This is no surprise.

A league that does not have many brightspots to begin with had alot of bad press locally with the front office antics of the Thunder.

I for one am pissed because Hamilton (city and fans) deserved better. More burned bridges than the work of a pyromaniac, short of actually coughing up the monies owed, this team cannot come back to Hamilton.

I think this W-League stuff was complete fantasy. If the Lynx own the USL rights to Hamilton, that means they own the W-League rights as well. I think. But nothing besides that one press release has every been said.

As for burned bridges, I just hope it doesn't block anybody else out there who might be interested in putting a team in Hamilton.

Guest HamiltonSteelers

Exactly. The last thing we would need to see is the city demand money up front for the entire season at a higher rate because of the Ferrari era of cheapness.

And though I'd attend a few W-league matches, I doubt the rest of the Thundercrew (new name now coming) would join.

My impression of the Hamilton soccer community would welcome another team - providing it has nothing to do with the Thunder. I could be wrong though.

Archived