Canadians abroad: October 21-27, 2005

DJT

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Jeffery S.

Sorry I did not post earlier on Julian's game.

He played on the right midfield in a 4-2-3-1 system, like at home vs Barcelona a few weeks ago.

Later in the match he seemed to be moved to the middle or even left of the midfield, but perhaps he was just given defensive tasks when Depor was up 2-0.

His first 20 minutes were weak I thought, as he still has positional problems. He tends to back track too much and does not challenge close to his mark off the ball. Then he started getting into it after that, participating more, handling the ball better.

The goal came as he followed Tristan cutting towards the top of the box, the striker laid it off to him to his left and he hit it hard and low to the left of Casillas. The announcers on TV3 Catalunya where I was watching remarked it he was the 1st Canadian in Spanish 1st division, so that was the first goal by a Canadian in La Liga.

One of the only other signings for Depor this year, a modest centre back named Juanma, scored the other two on headers.

Julian had an amazing play aroound m 15 in the second half, starting at the centre line and weaving through four Madrid players, I think all of them in fact fouled him by the ref let him play on as he kept going, until falling to a Pablo Garcia foul 25 metres from the goal. Roberto Carlos complained bitterly and was carded. After that there were a few very cocky minutes from Depor where they ran circles around Madrid, De G very much in on things.

Late in the game he saved a goal off Raul by following him into the box and reaching to cut the ball away from him. Some dedicated defending as well.

Julian is a player who has a lot more football than he usually shows, when he gets confidence and his coach convinces him to do more than hold, he is going to show a lot more.

Guest Jeffery S.

Caparrós, the Depor coach, was asked about De Guzman:

¿Qué le pareció De Guzmán?

Es un futbolista que está trabajando mucho y bien. A medida de que se vaya adaptando más al idioma irá creciendo porque es un magnífico profesional y, ante todo, quiere ser futbolista.

He is a footballer who is working a lot and well. The more he adapts to the language the more he will grow because he is a magnificent professional, and above all, he wants to play football.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

De Guzman becomes the first Canadian to score in La Ligua, and against Real Madrid no less! I want to see highlights of that on SoccerCentral this Saturday!

Yeah, right after he scored I was wondering if he was the first Canadian ever to score against Real Madrid. Anybody know the answer?

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by amacpher

Yeah, right after he scored I was wondering if he was the first Canadian ever to score against Real Madrid. Anybody know the answer?

When Radz was at Anderlecht he scored vs. Lazio and Man Utd, but the game I saw vs. Madrid in Spain he was quite weak, did not score.

That is the only recollection I have of a Canadian playing vs. Real Madrid, meaning the past 20 years. Unless someone like Bunbury got European cup play, or Forrest some season.

He has gotten a hell of a lot of press here in Spain today, El Pais, the no. 1 daily, wrote a paragraph about him being the first Canadian to score in Spain, also commenting that his coach Caparrós does a lot of physical controls on the players and that he is usually the most in shape player at Depor. Which makes me think that sometimes he reserves himself a bit, though I think that when the rest were tired having him back into a more defensive zone was a good idea.

Another comment about his play, on corners and free kicks (and Depor got quite a few) he dropped into left back as the bigger defenders came forwards for the headers. Depending on how the play developed he spent up to a few minutes at left back late in the match vs. Madrid.

Indeed a proud day for Canadian soccer fans and I`m sure for Julian and his family.

I expected to see something in the afternoon web pages of the Globe and Mail and/or others, but didn`t find anything. My info, as usual, came from the Guardian Unlimited this morning.

How could we not have julian on all the highlight reels, scoring against Beckham's team

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Ruud

Indeed a proud day for Canadian soccer fans and I`m sure for Julian and his family.

I expected to see something in the afternoon web pages of the Globe and Mail and/or others, but didn`t find anything. My info, as usual, came from the Guardian Unlimited this morning.

How could we not have julian on all the highlight reels, scoring against Beckham's team

Because his name is not Owen and he does not play for England. That is Canada at its worst folks.

Guest Jeffery S.

Daniel Fernandes played 90 as his Paok drew 1-1 at Akratitos Asteras, a lower table GK top flight side, in the 4th round of the Greek Cup on Wednesday. In the penalty shootout everyone but one Paok player scored and Daniel's team was eliminated.

Bad luck, as the team was on a good run and even though they were playing away in a tight stadium they should have won in regular time. The goal against was on a header from a cross.

Paok will have to concentrate on the league now, as they are four points off the lead after two straight wins.

quote:Originally posted by Ruud

I didn't look in the papers, but I did notice that Canoe.ca (the Sun group) had his picture and headline on their main sports page. Not the main headline, mind you, but 2nd or 3rd.

Archived