Toronto stadium design

CanadianSoccerFan

In the past, I didn't really care either way if the stands were covered or not. But this weekend, I have come around to realizing that it will very important. Given the longer season in MLS, I have hard time imagining alot of people coming out in a facility without covered stands in October on a day like today or yesterday where is was steady rain with single digit temperatures. I'm hoping that MLSE and the CSA has this in mind.

The only way to build a "proper" SSS is to rule out a lot of other forms of revenue for the stadium which almost nobody is willing to do in north america. I think the Home Depot Centre may be the only one that actually got it right. Considering the amount of public money going into this stadium I highly doubt we're going to get a proper SSS but obviously better than the nothing we have now. Is it so bad to make the field too short for football and give soccer fans the best sightlines. I mean honestly, there's 8 awesome stadiums in this country that soccer can't even play in because of the surface.... is it really so bad if there's ONE awesome stadium that FOOTBALL can't play in! Let's have covered stands close to the touch lines with real grass and let's do this thing right!

The only way to build a "proper" SSS is to rule out a lot of other forms of revenue for the stadium which almost nobody is willing to do in north america. I think the Home Depot Centre may be the only one that actually got it right. Considering the amount of public money going into this stadium I highly doubt we're going to get a proper SSS but obviously better than the nothing we have now. Is it so bad to make the field too short for football and give soccer fans the best sightlines. I mean honestly, there's 8 awesome stadiums in this country that soccer can't even play in because of the surface.... is it really so bad if there's ONE awesome stadium that FOOTBALL can't play in! Let's have covered stands close to the touch lines with real grass and let's do this thing right!

quote:Originally posted by CanadianSoccerFan

I mean honestly, there's 8 awesome stadiums in this country that soccer can't even play in because of the surface.... is it really so bad if there's ONE awesome stadium that FOOTBALL can't play in!

I guess the answer to that lies in the fact that even the CFL averages around 28 or 29 thousand people a game. When do you think soccer will achieve that in Toronto or any other Canadian city?

quote:Originally posted by G-Man

Ha. I'll wait for the "thriving" MLS team. For the last 20 years pro soccer drew nothing but death. And to think that a new SSS that will be less fancy or nice as the 20 year old Skydome will somehow bring out all these people who can sit at home all winter and watch the game from the old country, which is far better than what's on offer by the MLS....is dreaming.

And in the summer, why would anyone want to pay 30 bucks to watch the Wizards of Kansas play.

Hope to see you at the Santos/ Sporting match.

Yes you and all the Plastics.

quote:Originally posted by G-Man

OR how about this one. It's already built and a MLS team would only have to rent it for the 20 home dates a year. The lower bowl sits 26000 and when opened up its 55000.

http://www.rogerscentre.com/

and get this in November 9th, the greatest Brazilian Club side "FC SANTOS" is playing against "FC SPORTING" there. I suggest those that live in Toronto should get out to the game and see the place.

And at 30 Bucks a ticket...The same price as an MLS game.

Hey genious, after Jays and Argos, what nights would be left for soccer Tuesdays?

Archived