Toronto stadium design

CanadianSoccerFan

It is said to have cost £27m to build. That converts to $56,386,689.32 Canadian dollars (roughly ;)).

Nice little write up from that link:

Although fairly conservative in its design, the stadium is still impressive. It is completely enclosed with all four corners filled with seating. Each of the four stands is two tiered and three are of the same height. The West Stand at one side of the pitch is slightly taller, having a row of 28 corporate hospitality boxes, situated above the upper tier. The Club's offices are also located behind this stand. An unusual feature is the great use of transparent roofing towards the South End of the stadium. This allows more natural light into this area, making for an interesting effect. Both ends have an electric scoreboard situated on the front of their roofs, although for some reason the scoreboard at the North End is larger than the one at the South End.

SWANSEA19.jpg

swansea21.jpg

quote:Originally posted by canadiankick97

I passed that stadium by train.

Hey, just a few weeks ago, so did I! I was in Swansea for a few days in late September. Also spent some time in Cardiff, where you can get a very good view of Millenium Stadium from the top of Cardiff Castle.

No room for expansion without demolition.

And I'd guess land out in the sticks of Swansea is markedly cheaper than waterfront Toronto. Given that the city owns the Ex. property this may not be any consideration at all, just mentioning.

Looks good though, and I'd expect very doable for a lot less than $55M Canadian. Place could realy be intimidating if all the lads were in good voice and the right frame of mind.

Nice little park.

I'd prefer the latter design. The Swansea stadium cost 27 million pounds, or 54 million Canadian...which seems like a bargain for that design.

No matter what the actual stadium design looks like, the fact that it won't be a natural grass field is a mistake, which is good news for Vancouver soccer fans. They'll be getting all the big international games.

OR how about this one. It's already built and a MLS team would only have to rent it for the 20 home dates a year. The lower bowl sits 26000 and when opened up its 55000.

http://www.rogerscentre.com/

and get this in November 9th, the greatest Brazilian Club side "FC SANTOS" is playing against "FC SPORTING" there. I suggest those that live in Toronto should get out to the game and see the place.

And at 30 Bucks a ticket...The same price as an MLS game.

Except that it has been explained that the "20 dates" a year won't include many weekend dates during the summer when MLS is in swing. Why? Oh, the small matter of the Blue Jays and Argos having taken them already. You just can't make 3 pro teams playing together in one stadium in the summer work. Prayer doesnt work in stadium scheduling G-man, reality does.

Hope you can come and watch our thriving MLS team with us once the stadium opens. Don't forget to give Ted Rogers back the money he paid you, since as his spokesman you are failing to convince the public that his facility should be the home of every pro franchise in Toronto.

quote:Originally posted by RealGooner

ENGLAND has some of the nicer stadiums in Europe nowadays

Take it you haven't sung the Swansea song lately.

:D

First verse:

"Where ever we go, We follow our team,

We are Swansea, we are supreme,

We'll never be mastered, by no English *******,

We keep the welsh flag flying high!"

Funny though that "welsh" isn't capitalized...

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

Take it you haven't sung the Swansea song lately.

:D

First verse:

"Where ever we go, We follow our team,

We are Swansea, we are supreme,

We'll never be mastered, by no English *******,

We keep the welsh flag flying high!"

Funny though that "welsh" isn't capitalized...

LOL, no I haven't. But you are correct, I should say the UK has some of the nicest stadiums in Europe now.:)

quote:Originally posted by RealGooner

Except that it has been explained that the "20 dates" a year won't include many weekend dates during the summer when MLS is in swing. Why? Oh, the small matter of the Blue Jays and Argos having taken them already. You just can't make 3 pro teams playing together in one stadium in the summer work. Prayer doesnt work in stadium scheduling G-man, reality does.

Hope you can come and watch our thriving MLS team with us once the stadium opens. Don't forget to give Ted Rogers back the money he paid you, since as his spokesman you are failing to convince the public that his facility should be the home of every pro franchise in Toronto.

Ha. I'll wait for the "thriving" MLS team. For the last 20 years pro soccer drew nothing but death. And to think that a new SSS that will be less fancy or nice as the 20 year old Skydome will somehow bring out all these people who can sit at home all winter and watch the game from the old country, which is far better than what's on offer by the MLS....is dreaming.

And in the summer, why would anyone want to pay 30 bucks to watch the Wizards of Kansas play.

Hope to see you at the Santos/ Sporting match.

when it comes down to it... just give me anything!

but..... since we can be picky, I really like Swansea's ground. Thats the kind of stadium I like. Nice, compact grounds where you can be really close. The seperate tribunes (the second set of picturs) looks bad and loses atmosphere. I kinda like the first one, but without a second tier and have a roof like Swansea's.

Im sorry but the Algarve stadium looks horrible, though it was cheap.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Hey, just a few weeks ago, so did I! I was in Swansea for a few days in late September. Also spent some time in Cardiff, where you can get a very good view of Millenium Stadium from the top of Cardiff Castle.

Yeah, I went into Millenium stadium for a tour. It was crap though, the turf wasn't in at the time, which made for less than spectacular pictures. I did a tour of Stamford Bridge though, which was sick with the turf in.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by zacRWE

when it comes down to it... just give me anything!

but..... since we can be picky, I really like Swansea's ground. Thats the kind of stadium I like. Nice, compact grounds where you can be really close. The seperate tribunes (the second set of picturs) looks bad and loses atmosphere. I kinda like the first one, but without a second tier and have a roof like Swansea's.

Im sorry but the Algarve stadium looks horrible, though it was cheap.

I totally agree with your view on the three shown. I love the kind of fully enclosed space as in the Swansea stadium, with a design that looks enticing from the outside. Two separate ideas: outside stadium as monument, and inside stadium as warm and cozy modern place to enjoy a game, close to play on a grass field.

If TO does this much they'll have outdone Vancouver for a start.

All I want design-wise is covered grandstands and seats close to touchlines. These design features contribute to a great statdium atmosphere. I really hope they dont have huge endzones to accomodate CFL football. Screw the Argos, seriously. I'm really worried that they will try to water the stadium down with endzones and concert stages until its hardly an SSS at all.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

I totally agree with your view on the three shown. I love the kind of fully enclosed space as in the Swansea stadium, with a design that looks enticing from the outside. Two separate ideas: outside stadium as monument, and inside stadium as warm and cozy modern place to enjoy a game, close to play on a grass field.

That is exactly what I'm hopeing for as well. But I doubt it. They will probably leave room for football, and they will need some sort of concert set-up as well. It's going to probably be a typical ugly North American set-up with 2 grandstands and maybe a couple seats in the endzones.

Archived