How will Toronto MLS affect Voyageurs Cup?

RJB

It looks quite possible that Toronto will have an MLS team in the near future, and I was wondering how that would affect the Voyageurs Cup?

Has any thought been given as to a possible restructuring of the competetion, and what alternatives are there?

Wow. Good point actually. Pretty easy route to take when a team or two goes broke but what to do when you've got club teams in TWO seperate professional leagues.

It's not like you can exclude Toronto for playing in an American league but keep Montreal and the 'Caps is it?

Interesting dilema.

"How will Toronto MLS affect Voyageurs Cup?"

Well, realistically, it means the end of it. Otherwise it would look pretty stupid. Even if Montreal and Vancouver dominate the USL, and Toronto sucks in MLS, doesn't mean anything.

There was a thread around here awhile ago about ranking teams, but I think that's pretty dumb. What other rankings anywhere in the world do they rank teams from different levels of competition?

Maybe it would be "fun" to keep it going somehow, but it would be completely meaningless. At least the Voyageurs Cup right now does have some resenblance to a typical competition.

Hopefully MLSE is serious about soccer and they realize the benefit of an Open Cup (like winning any trophy is better than none - yeah, yeah, the Caps and the Impact are amazing and will kill a Toronto MLS team, yeah, okay...). Since the US MLS teams play in their Open Cup, maybe MLSE will as well.

It brings me another question

Will Toronto be named each year Canadian champion by the CSA and take part tot he Concacaf cup ?

One team, one champion !

Hohoho, Canada another time in the ridiculous !

If it becomes the case, I'll call the new Toronto team the "Canadian champion à la Soviet"

quote:Originally posted by Bxl Boy

It brings me another question

Will Toronto be named each year Canadian champion by the CSA and take part tot he Concacaf cup ?

One team, one champion !

Hohoho, Canada another time in the ridiculous !

If it becomes the case, I'll call the new Toronto team the "Canadian champion à la Soviet"

Ahhhh...relax you still have 1 more season to choke in the playoffs as Canada's Top Team!!

And it's not like the Caps or the Impact have shown any interest in an Open Cup (they could easily organize it), nor any interest in CONCACAF competition. So they, nor their fans, have any right so complain now.

Hopefully MLSE will be interested and organize even like a final four with the 3 USL teams (or the CPSL champ if no Lynx around). And after they win, hopefully they will be seriously interested in playing in the CONCACAF Cup. If they have to play over the winter, I'm sure they can play in Vancouver (North America's best soccer stadium) or at the G-Man Centre (SkyDome).

Archived