Hurdle number 2!

Calgary Boomer

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

Want to know why?

Because today's SJ-LA game was on ESPN.

Ha ESPN. You call that a channel? Ha. Who watches ESPN? ESPN is stuck in the 70's. ESPN has never had a record of success. Ha ESPN. How many people in Toronto watch ESPN. That's right. As many as will watch MLS.

Next year it's showing crap like Monday Night Football. Ha ESPN. Who watches Monday Night Football? Who watches the NFL? ESPN Ha. How many people in Kazahkstan watch ESPN?

quote:Originally posted by G-Man

I remember when the Senators used the whole name exposure game. They actually said it was worth at least 100 million a year to Ottawa. But they were hard pressed to show one single company that had invested in the city due to a NHL hockey team. And the Impact were laughed at when they tried to tie the club to tourists flocking to Montreal to see USL games.

There was an article in yesterday's Star about a Canadian who came from Glascow for the weekend just for the Leafs game Saturday night. So that's 2 nights hotels, taxis, car rentals, meals, shopping, entertainment, etc. that he spent only because of the Leafs. And the Leafs don't get a penny of that besides the ticket and whatever he spent at the arena.

The Jays when they play the Yankees or the Red Sox at the Dome are like away games with all the Americans that come.

Speaking of away home games, it's funny nobody really made any mention that the Craptors game the other day vs. Tel Aviv was basically an away game. Fine, even if nobody had any balls to seem "anti-Jewish", nobody really made a big deal about the Craptors game vs. a Greek side 2 years ago when it was also basically an "away game". I wonder if a Toronto MLS team will get the same treatment? (I've been reading too many of John's posts :D )

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by john tv

David you never ever came to me for any stories on the players. I tried but you were not interested at all. I tried Steve to get involved and again he referred me back to you. You were extremely narrowminded and living i your own pompuous world.In my time you did dick all for the Blizzard. Even the colour commentator was terrible.As I undwerstand it you tried to get involved in amateur soccer , but my sources tell me you were a complete total failure. You should have called me I might have helped you , you jerk.

John,

You've got to work on your "quoting" technique. You made your post very difficult to decipher.

Anyway, here we go again. Say what you want but you really don't know what you're talking about.

I had no involvement in amateur soccer. I really don't know what you're going on about.

I know you wanted to do the colour commentary but JVK, you really weren't up to the job. I needed somebody who actually knew something about soccer not a poseur such as yourself.

To be honest, I'm don't recall exactly when you were involved with the Blizzard but if it was during the NSL period, I think we did quite a lot for the team. It's not like people were knocking down your door to show the games on television but we did ten or twelve full games on Rogers and that was because I went to Alan Collings and asked him to let us do the games. You had nothing to do with it even though you were their PR man. I didn't even work for Rogers at the time. I was a volunteer while I studied at Seneca College.

My favourite recollections of that period are of dealing with Dave Turner. He was incredibly helpful and, strangely, our only source for the opening line-ups. I recall doing five minutes of one match with the commentators attempting to do the match with no player line-ups or numbers as nobody from the club provided them to us until after the game had started. Strange, very strange.

Ah well, John. You just continue to live in your dream world. I don't know why I'm wasting my time with you but if you're going to misrepresent my soccer past in the forum, I will reply.

db

quote:Originally posted by Elias

Ha ESPN. You call that a channel? Ha. Who watches ESPN? ESPN is stuck in the 70's. ESPN has never had a record of success. Ha ESPN. How many people in Toronto watch ESPN. That's right. As many as will watch MLS.

Next year it's showing crap like Monday Night Football. Ha ESPN. Who watches Monday Night Football? Who watches the NFL? ESPN Ha. How many people in Kazahkstan watch ESPN?

It's posts like this that point out the board's need for a rep system ;)

?Major League Pro Soccer? Are we talking about the NASL? Want to know what NBC had on today instead of the MLS play-offs?

Indoor motor cross.

Soccer in North America has never been Major League.

Ah, so its not Toronto that sucks when it comes to supporting soccer, the entire continent does! I understand now. Well, this is all just futile isn't it? We should all just retreat to our bedrooms and contemplate our navels the way you've been doing for the past 20 years. That's the way forward for soccer in this country. Thank you for showing us all the light. Where would we be without you?

How did that old CCR song go again? Trolling, Trolling, Trolling down the river......

I know this may mean very little, but I listen to radio station CFRB while at work. This is an all talk station based out of Toronto and the stadium issue isn't even on their radar. This station has more listeners than the Fan 590 all sports station. Personally, I think the less coverge the stadium vote gets, the better chance it has of passing. I wait for the vote on Wednesday with guarded optimism.

quote:Originally posted by Massive Attack

I know this may mean very little, but I listen to radio station CFRB while at work. This is an all talk station based out of Toronto and the stadium issue isn't even on their radar. This station has more listeners than the Fan 590 all sports station. Personally, I think the less coverge the stadium vote gets, the better chance it has of passing. I wait for the vote on Wednesday with guarded optimism.

Yup, I have also noticed the lack of news media coverage on the subject. Even among the sports media, it hasn't been the predominant topic that the SkyDome and ACC were when those buildings were being developed. (It's probably because the soccer stadium involves a lot less money.)

But I agree with you 100%; the less said the better.

I think, despite Bob McCown's attempts the other day to stir up controversy (where even he was outnumbered by the other guests on his show), this isn't that controversial a decision (assuming it its in our favour). Most people that have heard about the stadium (and its been front page news on the paper, not just the sports section) either don't care or approve.

So yes, I'd rather not have anything controversial arise in the next two days either.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Ah, so its not Toronto that sucks when it comes to supporting soccer, the entire continent does! I understand now. Well, this is all just futile isn't it? We should all just retreat to our bedrooms and contemplate our navels the way you've been doing for the past 20 years. That's the way forward for soccer in this country. Thank you for showing us all the light. Where would we be without you?

How did that old CCR song go again? Trolling, Trolling, Trolling down the river......

Probably with the group that thought signing Youri Djorkaeff to the Metrostars line-up would result in bigger crowds for the team. I watched a terrible game (Metrostars/Revs) played before less than 5K (10K announced)that actually meant something.

I realised that the MLS using the word MAJOR in Major League soccer is like the CPSL using the word Professional in Canadian Professional Soccer League.

Both are misleading.

Blaming the media for ignoring the MLS is like blaming the media in England for ignoring the Belfast Giants Ice Hockey club. It's just not on anyone's radar except for a few diehards. And it's true the less said about a new stadium in Toronto the better. Cause most people will go "What? Don't some of the top pro teams in the World come to Toronto and play in the Rogers Centre?, does the entire city need this? besides a pro team that may be gone in 3 years?"

And in Ottawa they built a baseball specific stadium, if the team leaves, it'll sit empty. Another white elephant sporting venue. LIke this country needs another one.

I watched a terrible game (Metrostars/Revs) played before less than 5K (10K announced)that actually meant something.

Good for you. I've watched many matches with much larger crowds, some of which have meant nothing. Let us know when you have a point. Although most of us will have died of old age by that time.

quote:

Blaming the media for ignoring the MLS is like blaming the media in England for ignoring the Belfast Giants Ice Hockey club.

It's also like the groups of Voyageurs who gather to attend national team games repetitively belching to the tune "Yankee Doodle Dandy" in the stands as a song to cheer on Canada - in the sense that nobody in this thread has ever done that. Belfast isn't even in England. So what the hell are you talking about?

How about the big hurdle? Will people show up for games. Considering Toronto's shaky soccer history will this work? All the joy on this site from people who up to 3 weeks ago believed that a pan Canadian soccer league was the only way to go is rather amusing.

I doubt that they’ll sell more than a 1000 season tickets let alone a single corporate box that doesn't belong to MLSE.

This would work in Montreal or Vancouver, but in Toronto it's a dead on arrival. The best years of the Blizzard the club never drew more than 9000 a game. Where in Montreal (23000) and Vancouver (21000) the NASL drew crowds.

A waste of 60 million into a stadium (when the Skydome could be used for the 2007 WC and for even a MLS team) and a bigger waste of the 10 million-expansion fee.

This is going to be just like the NBA heading into Vancouver. 2 years and the team will move.

This hasn't been thought through.

please my friend if you are going to post post facts not lies.

Go to www.kenn.com and look at the NASL attendances. You will find that the Blizzard drew well over your lie of 9000.

If you have anti Toronto feelings post facts not lies.

The NASL failed not the Blizzard.

I'm a dumbass cause I question the reality of a MLS team in Toronto or the drug like addiction of the soccer community to build SSS's.

I'll say it again. The Rogers center is a fine place to play soccer. The taxpayers of Ontario have been bilked already for this place. They don't need to be bilked again, when this SSS sits empty in 3 years after the failure of yet another "Blizzard" named pro team. Someone will have to pay for it, just like what happened with the Skydome.

What you should do is start a website that offers season tickets for the cost of 50 bucks (returnable of course if the stadium doesn't get built). Get people to send in their checks and count them up.

I bet you don't even get 100.

Dumbass. It's easy to lose other people's money.

And I thought Doyle g was a retard, boy your in his league,

You post crap and have no common sense or understanding of soccer in Toronto.

Toronto has supported Pro soccer very well over the years. What they dont support is rubbish Div 1 teams.

Archived