DeRo named MLS Player of the Month

Gian-Luca

If DeRo wins MLS MVP for the year, as is being mooted, would that make him the first Canuck to do that in a foreign-league (which the MLS still is for the time-being)?

10/19/2005 4:12PM

Earthquakes midfielder Dwayne De Rosario named Honda MLS Player of the Month for October

Canadian international also earns Sierra Mist MLS Goal of the Week

San Jose Earthquakes Media Relations

SAN JOSE - San Jose Earthquakes midfielder Dwayne De Rosario today was named the October Honda MLS Player of the Month. The Quakes leading scorer netted a goal in three straight games and added one assist during the month. A Honda MVP finalist, De Rosario was instrumental in helping San Jose earn the 2005 Supporters' Shield with an 18-4-10 record (64 points), becoming only the second team in MLS history to accumulate more than 60 points for a season (LA - 68 points in 1998). He finished the year with nine goals and a league-leading 13 assists, both career-highs.

The Canadian international started off the month with a goal against the New England Revolution on October 1 to clinch a 2-0 road victory over the top team in the Eastern Conference. After scoring and notching an assist against Real Salt Lake on October 8 to help San Jose finish unbeaten at home, De Rosario concluded the month in spectacular fashion, scoring one of the goals of the year against the Galaxy on Saturday, October 15. Seconds before the halftime break, the 27-year old drilled a free kick from 25 yards that bent around the outside of the wall and into upper-corner of the near post for the game-winning goal in the Quakes 3-1 win over their arch-rival victory. The goal versus the Galaxy was named the Sierra Mist MLS Goal of the Week for this past week.

De Rosario was the second Quakes player to earn Honda Player of the Month honors in 2005, as Ricardo Clark earned the distinction for July. Six Earthquakes players have been named Player of the Month during the League's 10 seasons. Along with De Rosario and Clark, Ronald Cerritos (September 1999), Ariel Graziani (June 2002), Landon Donovan (April and September 2003) and Pat Onstad (August 2004), have earned the award.

MetroStars goalkeeper Tony Meola was the runner-up for the monthly award. The Honda Major League Soccer Player of the Month is selected following the last game of each month throughout the MLS regular season by a panel of journalists from the Professional Soccer Reporters Association (PSRA).

2005 PLAYER OF THE MONTH WINNERS

April: Clint Dempsey (New England Revolution)

May: Carlos Ruiz (FC Dallas)

June: Nate Jaqua (Chicago Fire)

July: Ricardo Clark (San Jose Earthquakes)

August: Scott Sealy (Kansas City Wizards)

September: Taylor Twellman (New England Revolution)

October: Dwayne De Rosario (San Jose Earthquakes)

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

If DeRo wins MLS MVP for the year, as is being mooted, would that make him the first Canuck to do that in a foreign-league (which the MLS still is for the time-being)?

Bunbury was foriegn player of the year in Portugal. Not exactly the same thing, but . . ,

cheers,

matthew

quote:Originally posted by Bertuzzi44

I wonder if DeRo is going to take another shot at europe. surely his stellar season has turned a few heads across the pond...

There are teams looking for a good forward. Man City is still looking for one on the cheap.

With SWP moving over to the Blues, DeRo just might be a regular starter with them.

quote:Originally posted by DoyleG

There are teams looking for a good forward. Man City is still looking for one on the cheap.

With SWP moving over to the Blues, DeRo just might be a regular starter with them.

DeRosario was the reason Keegan got the sack.

quote:Originally posted by Bertuzzi44

Really[?]

Colin 14 Mar 2005 22:04:41

I was reading the newspaper this morning; nice to see that The Gazette

has revamped their sports section, with soccer getting a bit more

coverage on Mondays as usual.

Anyways, reading the little notes I was surprised to see something from

the Daily Mirror; OK, it's the Mirror, but it's still amusing. The

reason Keegan left Man City was, according to them, because he wanted to

sign Canadian international Dwayne DeRosario on a free (before he

re-signed with San Jose). He was told no and that the board wanted him

to play the young players instead of bringing in a replacement for Shaun

Wright-Phillips, so he packed his bags and left.

Well, Kevin just made his way onto my top managers list with that stand. :)

Oh, and according to another little tidbit, Montreal is likely hosting a

friendly this summer as part of the Champions World Series... The

*rumor* at the moment is that we're looking at Chelsea vs. AC Milan.

*drools like one of Pavlov's dogs*

quote:Originally posted by snake

Colin 14 Mar 2005 22:04:41

I was reading the newspaper this morning; nice to see that The Gazette

has revamped their sports section, with soccer getting a bit more

coverage on Mondays as usual.

Anyways, reading the little notes I was surprised to see something from

the Daily Mirror; OK, it's the Mirror, but it's still amusing. The

reason Keegan left Man City was, according to them, because he wanted to

sign Canadian international Dwayne DeRosario on a free (before he

re-signed with San Jose). He was told no and that the board wanted him

to play the young players instead of bringing in a replacement for Shaun

Wright-Phillips, so he packed his bags and left.

Well, Kevin just made his way onto my top managers list with that stand. :)

Oh, and according to another little tidbit, Montreal is likely hosting a

friendly this summer as part of the Champions World Series... The

*rumor* at the moment is that we're looking at Chelsea vs. AC Milan.

*drools like one of Pavlov's dogs*

Mmmm. Interesting rumour. It would be nice to see the Big O with grass in it again. First time since 75 Olympics I would guess.

db

Archived