Vancouver Stadium to be Unveiled on Thursday!

The Whitecaps are going to show off the new Waterfront stadium this week! Here's the article:

http://vancouver.24hrs.ca/News/2005/10/11/1257248-sun.html

Hopefully, us season ticket holders will be able to get a preview tonight at the Whitecaps "State of the Franchise" meet at the Italian Cultural Centre. All in all, great news all around for Canadian Soccer!

Cheers,

Bill

Ditto on the need for a full report! Exciting stuff. Just was recently in Vancouver and in Gastown. I looked at the proposed spot (or what I think was the proposed location ;)) from the Harbour Centre tower and I could just imagine the stadium.

Count me in for opening night.

Fantastic presentation tonight. It's going to be absolutely spectacular.

We signed confidentiality agreements at the door, so out of respect for the club (and the really classy "State of the Franchise" event they put together for the season ticket holders) I'll honour it.

What I will</u> say is this:

1. The official announcement is confirmed for Thursday morning, 10:30 am PST.

2. Everything you've heard on here previously from the Southsiders is pretty much accurate.

3. Toronto - get stuffed.

quote:Originally posted by Johnnie Monster

3. Toronto - get stuffed.

Congrates to the vancouver soccer comunity, it is long overdue.

Unfortunately too many people in the soccer community think the way you do and this is one of the many reasons why soccer has failed time and time again in this country.

Even at the amateur level, most clubs do not concentrate on player development, nor is getting competent coaches. Their priorities are winning championships. Instead of concentrating on what is really important, like developing players to play on the world stage.

I imagine Johnnie Monster was just joking around--just taking the piss. Don't take him too seriously. We're thrilled to hear that Toronto will get its stadium, and some of us are actually chuffed to hear that the MLS is coming to Toronto, too.

And, of course, I'm proud to hear that the Vancouver stadium is going to happen, and think this is a wonderful step forward for soccer in Vancouver and Canada. Can't wait to see the details tomorrow.

I would like to know where they are going to put 5,000 cars for parking. Get ready to pay up the azzzzzz. But I´m glad for a new stadium for Vancouver. Despite Swanguard being a great pitch, it´s too small.

It´s strange but when my family moved to Frisco, they built BC Place. I graduated high school, moved back to Van. Then I got transferred to Auckland, and boom, GM Place was built. I go back again and now I´m in Brasil and......... I wonder if I come back to Van and I move again, what will they build? [:P]

Being that I wasn't there and signed nothing, I poached this off Big Soccer from a poster who poached it from elsewhere. I do not know the validity of what is posted here, although it looks like someone got a hold of a council (or committee thereof) agenda. Nothing on renderings etc. just

CANUCKSOURCE HIGHLIGHTS ON CITY OF VANCOUVER REPORT: WHITECAPS STADIUM INTIAL REVIEW (601 Canada Place) - Cost Recovery Program

RECOMMENDATIONS

A) THAT City Council endorse undertaking a high-level Initial Review of the Whitecaps proposal to locate a stadium over the Canadian Pacific rail tracks, east of Granville Square, generally in accordance with the Whitecaps Stadium - Initial Review Terms of Reference in Appendix A;

B) THAT a cost-recovered budget of $164,750.¡K.be approved to undertake this work; and

FURTHER THAT, consistent with City cost recovery policy, Council accept a contribution from the Whitecaps organization to fully cover these costs and to be paid at the outset of the Initial Review, regardless of the findings;

C) THAT Council endorse engaging a consultant team to undertake a portion of the Initial Review, generally in accordance with the Consultant Terms of Reference in Appendix C, up to a maximum cost of $100,000 with the source being the cost recovery funds described in Recommendation B, subject to staff reporting back for Council¡¦s endorsement of the consultant selection.

To be voted by City Council on October 20, 2005.

GENERAL MANAGER¡¦S COMMENTS

The General Manager of Community Services RECOMMENDS approval of A to C above.

COUNCIL POLICY

Central Waterfront Official Development Plan (adopted June 19, 1979)

PROPOSAL AND SUMMARY

The Whitecaps organization is proposing to locate a new 15,000 seat (potential future expansion to 30,000 seats) soccer stadium on a site over the Canadian Pacific rail tracks east of Granville Square. Staff recommend this proposal be subject to a high-level Initial Review to determine whether it has a reasonable chance of being successful in meeting City planning objectives and of having sufficient public support. The Review would be undertaken partly by City staff, and partly by an external consultant team.

After the Initial Review is complete, anticipated to be approximately the end of April 2006, staff will report to City Council for a decision on whether to proceed further with the planning for the project. If so, the proposal would be folded into the anticipated Waterfront Lands/Hub Structure Plan Study (to be reported to Council in the near future), followed by an Official Development Plan process and/or Rezoning process, as normal for such a major project.

BACKGROUND

The Central Waterfront Official Development Plan was adopted in 1979 with the key objectives of making the area more accessible and enjoyable to the people of Vancouver while maintaining a viable port function and ensuring that the area is compatible with adjacent Downtown and Gastown. While in this sub-area the ODP called for the introduction of urban uses such as commercial, recreational and light industrial in the Central Waterfront providing they coexist with rail functions, it did not contemplate the development of a unique type of facility like a stadium.

ASSUMPTIONS // DEVELOPMENT SCENARIOS

The Review needs to look at both phases of the stadium, and also needs to account for the fact that development in surrounding areas will continue.

Three scenarios will be reviewed:

A) a 15,000 seat stadium as at ¡§opening day.¡¨ Given normal timelines on major projects, the earliest the stadium could open would be Fall 2009. This scenario will assume that RAV, and VCEC are operating, other currently known downtown development projects are in place, and a reasonable amount of development has continued in Downtown peninsula under current zoning.

B) a 15,000 seat stadium with maximum future development. This would assume the above, and plus Granville Square 3 tower, and Downtown capacity built out.

C) a 30,000 seat stadium with future development, with context as in B above.

The Central Waterfront Port Lands have development potential (Central Waterfront Port Lands Policy Statement 1994), but the range of development options is so wide that it is not practical to include the development statistics for this site in the scenarios. However, the Review will assess whether or not the stadium development would pose significant problems for major development on the Central Waterfront Port Lands.

In addition, assumptions cannot be made about possible development over the CP rail yards east of the Stadium. The Review may inform judgement as to what may be possible there in the future.

OTHER ASSUMPTIONS

A) The stadium proposal will be designed so as not to use the Waterfront Port road for access.

B) The capacity of the CP rail yard will not be diminished, although track age may be realigned. While noting that the proponents will be responsible to coming to agreement with CP rail regarding realignment of rail tracks, the City is strongly concerned that the rail yard be able to handle the anticipated growth in goods movement through the Port of Vancouver, rather than seeing goods movement diverted to truck, which is much less environmentally sustainable.

C) In assessing the effects of the stadium proposal with respect to topics A and B, for comparison purposes, it will be assumed that some form of conventional development (e.g. office, residential) could occur over the tracks on this site.

whitecaps11ao.jpg

whitecapstimeline0hd.jpg

Being that I wasn't there and signed nothing, I poached this off Big Soccer from a poster who poached it from elsewhere. I do not know the validity of what is posted here, although it looks like someone got a hold of a council (or committee thereof) agenda. Nothing on renderings etc. just

CANUCKSOURCE HIGHLIGHTS ON CITY OF VANCOUVER REPORT: WHITECAPS STADIUM INTIAL REVIEW (601 Canada Place) - Cost Recovery Program

RECOMMENDATIONS

A) THAT City Council endorse undertaking a high-level Initial Review of the Whitecaps proposal to locate a stadium over the Canadian Pacific rail tracks, east of Granville Square, generally in accordance with the Whitecaps Stadium - Initial Review Terms of Reference in Appendix A;

B) THAT a cost-recovered budget of $164,750.¡K.be approved to undertake this work; and

FURTHER THAT, consistent with City cost recovery policy, Council accept a contribution from the Whitecaps organization to fully cover these costs and to be paid at the outset of the Initial Review, regardless of the findings;

C) THAT Council endorse engaging a consultant team to undertake a portion of the Initial Review, generally in accordance with the Consultant Terms of Reference in Appendix C, up to a maximum cost of $100,000 with the source being the cost recovery funds described in Recommendation B, subject to staff reporting back for Council¡¦s endorsement of the consultant selection.

To be voted by City Council on October 20, 2005.

GENERAL MANAGER¡¦S COMMENTS

The General Manager of Community Services RECOMMENDS approval of A to C above.

COUNCIL POLICY

Central Waterfront Official Development Plan (adopted June 19, 1979)

PROPOSAL AND SUMMARY

The Whitecaps organization is proposing to locate a new 15,000 seat (potential future expansion to 30,000 seats) soccer stadium on a site over the Canadian Pacific rail tracks east of Granville Square. Staff recommend this proposal be subject to a high-level Initial Review to determine whether it has a reasonable chance of being successful in meeting City planning objectives and of having sufficient public support. The Review would be undertaken partly by City staff, and partly by an external consultant team.

After the Initial Review is complete, anticipated to be approximately the end of April 2006, staff will report to City Council for a decision on whether to proceed further with the planning for the project. If so, the proposal would be folded into the anticipated Waterfront Lands/Hub Structure Plan Study (to be reported to Council in the near future), followed by an Official Development Plan process and/or Rezoning process, as normal for such a major project.

BACKGROUND

The Central Waterfront Official Development Plan was adopted in 1979 with the key objectives of making the area more accessible and enjoyable to the people of Vancouver while maintaining a viable port function and ensuring that the area is compatible with adjacent Downtown and Gastown. While in this sub-area the ODP called for the introduction of urban uses such as commercial, recreational and light industrial in the Central Waterfront providing they coexist with rail functions, it did not contemplate the development of a unique type of facility like a stadium.

ASSUMPTIONS // DEVELOPMENT SCENARIOS

The Review needs to look at both phases of the stadium, and also needs to account for the fact that development in surrounding areas will continue.

Three scenarios will be reviewed:

A) a 15,000 seat stadium as at ¡§opening day.¡¨ Given normal timelines on major projects, the earliest the stadium could open would be Fall 2009. This scenario will assume that RAV, and VCEC are operating, other currently known downtown development projects are in place, and a reasonable amount of development has continued in Downtown peninsula under current zoning.

B) a 15,000 seat stadium with maximum future development. This would assume the above, and plus Granville Square 3 tower, and Downtown capacity built out.

C) a 30,000 seat stadium with future development, with context as in B above.

The Central Waterfront Port Lands have development potential (Central Waterfront Port Lands Policy Statement 1994), but the range of development options is so wide that it is not practical to include the development statistics for this site in the scenarios. However, the Review will assess whether or not the stadium development would pose significant problems for major development on the Central Waterfront Port Lands.

In addition, assumptions cannot be made about possible development over the CP rail yards east of the Stadium. The Review may inform judgement as to what may be possible there in the future.

OTHER ASSUMPTIONS

A) The stadium proposal will be designed so as not to use the Waterfront Port road for access.

B) The capacity of the CP rail yard will not be diminished, although track age may be realigned. While noting that the proponents will be responsible to coming to agreement with CP rail regarding realignment of rail tracks, the City is strongly concerned that the rail yard be able to handle the anticipated growth in goods movement through the Port of Vancouver, rather than seeing goods movement diverted to truck, which is much less environmentally sustainable.

C) In assessing the effects of the stadium proposal with respect to topics A and B, for comparison purposes, it will be assumed that some form of conventional development (e.g. office, residential) could occur over the tracks on this site.

whitecaps11ao.jpg

whitecapstimeline0hd.jpg

Archived