Canadian U20 England Camp

This is the camp where new TD Richard Bate will meet up with Mitchell and the kids on the road to WYC 2007. Looks like some pretty high profile friendlies, I assume they will be against the same age group and not reserve sides.

So here's the first news I've heard regarding callups and thought I would give a shout out to Gavin and a big photo because he's a young guy quietly climbing the ladder a la Hume and hasn't had much sugar thrown his way. Tks to Serge from Ecosa for headsup to Gavin.

http://www.ytfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/News/NewsDetail/0,,10673~723743,00.html?

Yeovil Town Youth Team Player Gavin McCallum has been called up by the Canadian Soccer Association to join a training camp in Manchester from October 16th to October 30th

The Canadian Under 20's National Team will play matches against Manchester United, Liverpool and Everton during that time.

ekkm4n.jpg

Under-20s face big camp

Canadians will face top English junior squads

By NEIL DAVIDSON

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Soccer/Canada/2005/10/14/1262815-cp.html

(CP) - The road to the 2007 World Youth Cup starts this weekend in England for Canadian coach Dale Mitchell.

Mitchell leaves Saturday for Bolton, just outside of Manchester, and his team's first camp in advance of the 2007 world under-20 tournament that Canada is hosting. The young Canadians, born in 1987 or later, will play under-18 teams from Liverpool, Manchester United, Everton and Huddersfield while at the camp, which ends Oct. 30.

"Almost a Champions League schedule for us," Mitchell said with a laugh. "It'll be a great experience for the boys to be able to visit those grounds, even if it is the training facilities, and see how they do against what should be some of the better young players in Britain."

Mitchell is bringing a young 20-man squad on tour. Players like defender David Edgar (Newcastle) and midfielder Jaime Peters (Ipswich) have remained with their clubs, although striker Will Johnson managed to convince the Chicago Fire to allow him to come.

Mitchell was also unable to call on Canada's college players in the U.S. because of school commitments.

Most of the players heading to England are affiliated with Canadian Soccer Association training centres although goalies Asmar Begovic (La Louviere, Belgium, on loan from England's Portsmouth) and Zach Kalthoff (Southampton, England) and midfielders Simeon Jackson (Rushden & Diamonds, England) and Gavin McCallum (Yeovil Town, England) are with European clubs.

Mitchell hopes those without a club may catch a team's eye while in England. To that end, he has included overage defender Andrew Hainault, born in 1986, on the camp roster in the hopes he might win a job in Europe.

The camp also marks the first official duties of newly hired Canadian Soccer Association technical director Dick Bate. The English native will hook up with Mitchell for several days before heading to Canada.

The 2007 event will be Mitchell's third at the helm. He led Canada to the quarter-finals in 2003 in the United Arab Emirates, but saw his team fail to emerge from the first round in a disappointing performance earlier this year in the Netherlands.

The early Dutch exit has not been forgotten by Mitchell. He points to two major issues raised by the performance there.

"The technical ability of our players and the ability to keep the ball was lacking compared to most of the opponents that were there in Holland," he said.

"Also we had a problem with the '85 age group in terms of number of players who could play at that level. It forced us to go a little bit younger. I think in the long run that hurt us, because physically we were a little outmatched in some of the games as well."

Teaching technique is difficult for Mitchell because of the limited time he gets to spend with his charges. That's why he wants them with good clubs.

The good news is that the young talent from the 2005 team should be available to Mitchell in 2007.

"I think we have a good nucleus of '87s that are in a good environment, which is so crucial at this age. The rest of the group, there's talent there, but over the next year or two they've got to find a way to get themselves into some sort of environment that's going to allow them to train at a high level every day and play a competitive match every week."

Notes: With some players missing, Mitchell has turned to youth in the form of defenders Nana Attakora-Gyan and Kennedy Owusu-Ansah and midfielder Gabriel Gala, all 16. ... The Canadian squad will get to see some good soccer from the stands while in England. They have tickets for the Manchester United-Lille Champions League game Tuesday and then several Premier League games after that.

Interesting comments from Mitchell re: WYC. I agree after watching two matches live that one of the biggest problems was the ability to keep the ball. The midfield was particularly bad in this respect and I also agree that physically they were over matched at times. Quite often they were simply bundled off the ball.

I like the fact that he recognises the need to get these kids into good programs....lets hope a few of the players on this England trip catch the eye of some scouts.

quote:Originally posted by Joe MacCarthy

Under-20s face big camp

Canadians will face top English junior squads

By NEIL DAVIDSON

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Soccer/Canada/2005/10/14/1262815-cp.html

(CP) - The road to the 2007 World Youth Cup starts this weekend in England for Canadian coach Dale Mitchell.

Mitchell leaves Saturday for Bolton, just outside of Manchester, and his team's first camp in advance of the 2007 world under-20 tournament that Canada is hosting. The young Canadians, born in 1987 or later, will play under-18 teams from Liverpool, Manchester United, Everton and Huddersfield while at the camp, which ends Oct. 30.

"Almost a Champions League schedule for us," Mitchell said with a laugh. "It'll be a great experience for the boys to be able to visit those grounds, even if it is the training facilities, and see how they do against what should be some of the better young players in Britain."

Mitchell is bringing a young 20-man squad on tour. Players like defender David Edgar (Newcastle) and midfielder Jaime Peters (Ipswich) have remained with their clubs, although striker Will Johnson managed to convince the Chicago Fire to allow him to come.

Mitchell was also unable to call on Canada's college players in the U.S. because of school commitments.

Most of the players heading to England are affiliated with Canadian Soccer Association training centres although goalies Asmar Begovic (La Louviere, Belgium, on loan from England's Portsmouth) and Zach Kalthoff (Southampton, England) and midfielders Simeon Jackson (Rushden & Diamonds, England) and Gavin McCallum (Yeovil Town, England) are with European clubs.

Mitchell hopes those without a club may catch a team's eye while in England. To that end, he has included overage defender Andrew Hainault, born in 1986, on the camp roster in the hopes he might win a job in Europe.

The camp also marks the first official duties of newly hired Canadian Soccer Association technical director Dick Bate. The English native will hook up with Mitchell for several days before heading to Canada.

The 2007 event will be Mitchell's third at the helm. He led Canada to the quarter-finals in 2003 in the United Arab Emirates, but saw his team fail to emerge from the first round in a disappointing performance earlier this year in the Netherlands.

The early Dutch exit has not been forgotten by Mitchell. He points to two major issues raised by the performance there.

"The technical ability of our players and the ability to keep the ball was lacking compared to most of the opponents that were there in Holland," he said.

"Also we had a problem with the '85 age group in terms of number of players who could play at that level. It forced us to go a little bit younger. I think in the long run that hurt us, because physically we were a little outmatched in some of the games as well."

Teaching technique is difficult for Mitchell because of the limited time he gets to spend with his charges. That's why he wants them with good clubs.

The good news is that the young talent from the 2005 team should be available to Mitchell in 2007.

"I think we have a good nucleus of '87s that are in a good environment, which is so crucial at this age. The rest of the group, there's talent there, but over the next year or two they've got to find a way to get themselves into some sort of environment that's going to allow them to train at a high level every day and play a competitive match every week."

Notes: With some players missing, Mitchell has turned to youth in the form of defenders Nana Attakora-Gyan and Kennedy Owusu-Ansah and midfielder Gabriel Gala, all 16. ... The Canadian squad will get to see some good soccer from the stands while in England. They have tickets for the Manchester United-Lille Champions League game Tuesday and then several Premier League games after that.

lets face some critical facts here! Until the CSA provides some serious funding, our National program will continue to be a shmbles and we will always be hoping to get these kids into a good environment in Europe. We don't have to look to far south of the border to see my point. I don't here the US National team coach hoping to get most of their kids to Europe!Until we change our attitude to training our kids professionally, we can't and shouldn't much to change!

Now I don't agree with much of what Paul Gardner has to say on anything, but I thought he had a point or two in his rant against Bradenton: http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=344957&root=us&cc=5901

I think with the club structure in place with the Whitecaps, they're ahead of most MLS teams as far as that level of development goes. As far as having $2 M/year to develop our elite players in a residency program, I would rather have the good people at Feyenoord, Atalanta, Rangers or Celtic do it for us for free while also giving them day-in, day-out experience in a real competitive environment.

Which doesn't even get into the matter of how to procure $2M annually (or something even close) and the politics of who would get to go. I think the NTC's are doing a good job of briding the gap between a province's elite and the national team at whatever age group and broadening the pool.

Those US U17 teams will be good partly because of the fact that they play all the time together, partly because the US' pool of talent is strong and partly because Bradenton makes them better players.

I really think the talent is there and we just need to put them together and in a situation that gives them the best chance to succeed. With the amount of U20 developmental games we've played already and this U20 camp I think we're on a good path to do that.

God I sound like a CSA appologist. Sorry. [:l]

cheers,

matthew

• 2 weeks later...

Men's Youth (U-20) Team

Saturday, October 29, 2005

Canada Wraps Up Camp with Victory

http://www.canadasoccer.com/eng/media/viewArtical.asp?Press_ID=2340

Ottawa, Ontario – Canada’s U18 National Team finished off its training camp in England with perhaps the best game of the tour, defeating Everton FC U18s by a score of 1-0.

Canada’s Gavin McCallum scored the only goal in minute 53 of a match that Canada dominated for large spells. Fortunately for Mitchell’s squad, the missed chances that would have certainly seen off Everton earlier, never came back to haunt them, and in the end they walked off deserved winners.

In fact, when McCallum finally found a way past Everton’s keeper, it was on the heels of a ten minute passage of play that saw Canada pin its opponents into their own half.

Just before the hour mark, Kennedy Owusu-Ansah swung a ball deep toward the far post that had Everton’s defenders scrambling for. McCallum reacted quickest, stabbing his shot and eventual game-winner past a helpless Everton ‘keeper.

“The only disappointing aspect of today’s game was our inability to capitalize on our numerous opportunities,” said Canadian Head Coach Dale Mitchell. Over all it was a positive performance to finish off a very good trip for our boys”.

Canada finished 3-1 over the four game tour defeating Huddersfield, Liverpool and Everton. Canada’s sole defeat was at the hands of Manchester Utd.

The Canadian Championship will take place in Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Edmonton, Vancouver, and Victoria with the tentative dates for the tournament set for July 1-22, 2007.

Saturday, October 29, 2005 - Exhibition

Everton Academy Netherton, Liverpool, England

CANADA U18 – 1 (0)

EVERTON FC U18 – 0 (0)

Goals: CANADA U18 – McCallum 53; EVERTON FC U18 – none

Cautions: CANADA U18 – none; EVERTON FC U18 – none

Expulsions – none

CANADA U18: 1-David Monsalve; 13-Gabe Gala (3-Anthony DiBiase, 70); 4-Andrew Hainault; 2-Stephen Lumley; 5-Kennedy Owusu-Ansah; 6-Jonathan Bourgault; 10-Will Johnson; 8-Cristian Nunez (7-Hector Contreras, 60); 11-Gavin McCallum (14-Massimo Di Ioia, 70); 16-Shane Lammie (9-Simeon Jackson, 50); 15-Rudolph Mayard (17-Vince Petrasso, 70)

Head Coach: Dale Mitchell (CAN)

Subs not used: 1-Asmir Begovic; 22-Zach Kalthoff

Injured: Kyle Oliviera; Nana Attakora-Gyan

Very good results for Canada indeed.

Just wanted to mention that Canada soon will get another chance to test our 2007 hopefuls. The 5th edition of les Jeux de la Francophonie are running from Dec 7 - 17, 2005 in Niamey, Niger. This time it is a U20 tournament. Should be interesting to see who can be called up given the timing and the fact we are just coming off this English camp.

Unfortunately, the official website is currently down. But here is an article with some info:

========================================================

http://www.rfi.fr/actufr/articles/064/foot_35503.asp

Vèmes Jeux de la Francophonie

La cinquième édition des Jeux de la Francophonie se déroulera au mois de décembre 2005 à Niamey. Les douze équipes paraticipantes sont réparties en trois poules de quatre.

La cinquième édition des Jeux de la Francophonie se déroulera du 7 au 17 décembre 2005 à Niamey. Les douze équipes paraticipantes sont réparties en trois poules de quatre. Sur les vingt-deux équipes candidates, douze ont finalement été retenues en tenant compte du classement FIFA, d'une répartition géographique et des résultats récents des équipes de jeunes. Ce tournoi sera, en effet, et pour la première fois réservé aux joueurs âgés de moins de vingt ans.

C'est Roger Milla qui a procédé, par tirage au sort au début du mois d'avril à Paris, à la répartition des équipes en trois poules de quatre:

Groupe A: Burkina Faso, France, Haïti, Mali

Groupe B: Lituanie, Maroc, RD.Congo, Sénégal

Groupe C: Cameroun, Canada, Côte d'Ivoire, Niger

http://www.rfi.fr/actufr/articles/064/foot_35503.asp

Archived