Jonathan De Guzman Article

An Observer

Extensive interview in a Dutch online magazine...

A few iteresting comments....

He says he has been called once for the national team but declined. He also says he consciously did not play for Canada in the U-20 this summer in order to concentrate on moving from the youth team to the first team. He says his brother encouraged him not to play for Canada yet as all the travel back in forth is tiring for a player trying to establish himself as a professional. He notes that he could play for the Netherlands but that Canada is his country but he does not have to make a decision yet.

There's also alot on his relationship with his brother (they talk every day) and the fact that Brad Parker was the person who recommended him to Feyenoord. His mother is Jamaican and his father is from the Philippines.

http://www.ad.nl/sport/article28664.ece

quote:Originally posted by Sigma

Too bad his brother is encouraging him not to play for Canada. Booo...

If anyone knows what its like to endure the hardships of trying to cement a first team spot and play for Canada it's Julian.

And it'll be because of Julian that Jonathan will play for Canada. I, for one, cannot what to see those two on the field together.

Good old Scarborough boys and Robbie Champions as well.Knowing the Dutch system I must say his accomplishements are phenominal.It is surprising that there is no referemnce made seing him play and his brother for Canada.It appears that this traveling thing is a problem for him as well as his desire to do very well in Holland,in other words he feels that the traveling may hurt his future progress.The best thing that ever could happen is for these two guys play for the Toronto MLS team as with others that may have this problem.Come to think of it we may have one heck of a team.I am drooling with this prospect already.We need this Russian guy,buy all these players and clean up in the MLS.

His parents have also recommended that he not play internationally at this time, after seeing what Julian went through at Marseille. I can't really blame his family for this advice, as much as I'd like to see him in a red & white uniform at this time.

It may suck now, but Canada could reap some serious rewards in the future once Jonathan is established at the club level and begins his international career for his country - as he says, Canada.

quote:Originally posted by Bertuzzi44

I think this pretty much settles the issue of what country JDG Jr will play for. Now we play the waiting game.... (or hungry hungry hippos)

Well, didn't we get the same with the Whore in an interview on Sportsnet? Something along the lines of "I'm Canadian and will play for Canada"...

I can see JDG2's point for now, but I still hope to see him in 2 summers lining up with our U20s.

If you want to see some good stuff on Julian go to WWW.knvb.nl than go to ranglijst a-b junioren,than go to, beste speeler nike eeredivisie 2004-2005 and than you will see his name on top of the list in all of Holland.

Amazing stuff.What this says is that he is listed as the best a-b junior soccer player in Holland 2004-2005.

Oops,should read Jonathan.Still come to think of it,he is rated as the best young soccer player in Holland,which is rated second in the world FIFA rankings.This should make a fantastic story.Maybe the Voyageurs should issue a media release to all the Canadian media outlets saluting this potential world soccer giant.This is a great Canadian story and maybe one that could help him make up his mind sooner and more convincingly.It is also a story that should be told to all our aspiring young soccer players.

Seems I am getting Johnathan under my skin. However I visited the Feonoord fan side and boy is he getting coverage.up to 14 files with at least 20 or so comments per file. Amazing stuff and all very good.He is expected to make the first team and is considered one of the better mid fielders on this team.He is constantly refered to as Canadian and there is no talk about playing for Canada or Holland.They of course know his brother playes for Canada and in Spain.

I did bring it up and am awaiting a reply.

Last kick at the cat.I am surprised that no one has made any comment about this ranking. Anyway I guess I am still to young at heart and maybe to enthousiastic. Here we go,to view the rankings go to www.knvb.nl

than choose clubs and competities and than choose ranglijst a-b junioren. and there is his name.

As far as the Dutch fans are concerned it seems that they all feel that the traveling is a problem and they quoted Ono who playes for Japan as an example.They all agree that he will be playing for the 1st team and they all still question if he is good enough to play for the Dutch ream, maybe for the u-20.There is some stiff competition for the Dutch midfield as we all know. They also believe that since he has not played for a Canadian team it appears that he has made up his mind and wants to play in the Orange colours.

Will keep you posted.

quote:Originally posted by john tv

Last kick at the cat.I am surprised that no one has made any comment about this ranking. Anyway I guess I am still to young at heart and maybe to enthousiastic. Here we go,to view the rankings go to www.knvb.nl ...

Well there was a bit of hubbub over those rankings when they first posted here in this forum in May this year. I guess you were busy at the time. Of course, it's hard to keep track of news on our national team and players (and potential players) with the 16 Toronto stadium threads that appear every week.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

But there is so much about the Toronto stadium that we haven't discussed yet. No word yet on:

1) Name/naming rights ( eg>; field versus Stadium versus Park)

2) Surface type

3) construction material used ( Aluminum versus concrete, Brick versus brick veneer, insul-brick etc). My choice is brick veneer

4) British style with overhang roof, versus open concept European style

we look forward to your input on all these upcoming debates/discussions. It will be fun year :D . Plus it's Toronto and everyone in Canada is concerned about what happens in Toronto. :D

What I find exciting is the possibility of having the following players available for U20 in 2007:

DeGuzman

Edgar

Peters

Johnson

Lombardo

You guys can add to this list, too, but what is particularly exciting is that these guys are playing with decent clubs in decent leagues. Edgar is the player that I'm probably most excited about, and hope he gets some first team time soon.

Perhaps a bit of stretch, but Manny Gomez at River Plate has appeared at National Team camps and will probably be in contention. Borgault, trialing at St. Pauli, would also get a long look as he was a late addition to the 2005 squad.

quote:Originally posted by An Observer

I would add Lensky at Celtic to that list (if he will play for us!), and Kent O'Connor at 1860 Munich (or was it Werner Bremen). Also there is Begovic at Portsmouth on loan at Louviere. Its quite an exciting group.

O'Connor is out long term with an injury. Hasn't appeared at all this season with 1860's U19's (although he is on the roster).

quote:Originally posted by The Beaver

Who else from the last U20 group is still eligible? I thought there were a handful more.

The only other I can think of off the top of my head is Mike D'Agostino (sp?), currently at U. of Kentucky, who was with the team and played in Concacaf qualifying, but was not named to the final roster in Holland.

quote:Originally posted by Ivan

The only other I can think of off the top of my head is Mike D'Agostino (sp?), currently at U. of Kentucky, who was with the team and played in Concacaf qualifying, but was not named to the final roster in Holland.

Yup, he was born Jan. 7, 1987 so he'd be eligible.

Other 87's from the NCAA ranks that may be in the running include Alex Elliott (Portland), Masumi Turnbull (Kentucky) Tosant Ricketts and Kyle Bartkus (UW-Green Bay) and Kerr McLeod (Fairfield). All were part of the development team (U-18) that played and beat the U-17 US team this past summer.

Jonathan is creating quite a stir in Holland. Our 18 year old secured himself a position on the first team.Today they defeated Groningen 4-1 in front of 40000 spectators In Rotterdam. Feyenoord is now in first place and play their next game against Ajax in Amsterdam.Jonathan was credited with setting up the winning goal on a brilliant pass.Our young Canadian as he is referred to in the media and chat lines is now ranked 4th in the MVP section since the start of the season and he is looked upon as being a very technical player and his passes are brilliant.The young Canadain as he is referred to also is creating quite a following among the many young Dutch soccer fans. His coach Erwin Koeman was very pleased with his performance today.

His brother Julian played against Barca and his team tied 3-3

Quite a week-end for the De Guzman family in Scarborough

As a littler personal note I discovered that Jonathan and I have the same birthday,except he is 50 years younger.

Jonathan is creating quite a stir in Holland. Our 18 year old secured himself a position on the first team.Today they defeated Groningen 4-1 in front of 40000 spectators In Rotterdam. Feyenoord is now in first place and play their next game against Ajax in Amsterdam.Jonathan was credited with setting up the winning goal on a brilliant pass.Our young Canadian as he is referred to in the media and chat lines is now ranked 4th in the MVP section since the start of the season and he is looked upon as being a very technical player and his passes are brilliant.The young Canadain as he is referred to also is creating quite a following among the many young Dutch soccer fans. His coach Erwin Koeman was very pleased with his performance today.

His brother Julian played against Barca and his team tied 3-3

Quite a week-end for the De Guzman family in Scarborough

As a littler personal note I discovered that Jonathan and I have the same birthday,except he is 50 years younger.

Archived