Canadians abroad: October 7-13, 2005

DJT

Canadians abroad on TV this week

Notes: This list may be incomplete or inaccurate. Generally only premiere broadcasts are listed (in particular, FSWC repeats are not listed). All broadcasts are live unless otherwise noted. All times are EDT.

None.

Guidelines for this thread

[*]In this thread post match updates on all Canadians abroad for October 7-13, 2005.

[*]If you find updates posted in some other thread or on the other Voyageurs forum then post them here as well, but be sure to credit the original poster.

[*]If there is news that is particularly significant (eg. someone scores a big goal, someone gets injured, etc.) then feel free to begin a new thread on that topic in order to draw greater attention or start a discussion, but also post that news here.

[*]Some comments on news posted in this thread are okay, but let's not let this thread go off into a long discussion. If the news already appears in another thread (as per the previous bullet) then post your comments in that other thread, otherwise if you want to say something significant or if it is likely to generate replies then begin a new thread.

Some old news that nobody saw from Belgium. Goalkeeper Vincent Cournoyer who had a tryout with Mouscrons last summer, took advantage of an injury to the backup goalkeeper to train with the A team and play 3 reserve match with Mouscrons.

On the 7th day of competition Mouscrons won 2-1 against K.AA.Gent, on the 8th day they share the points with R.AA.Louvièroise 2-2 and on the 9th day they won again, this time 2-0 against Cercle Brugge K.SV.

Guest Jeffery S.

Marcel de Jong played 90 as Helmond Sport beat Haarlem 1-0 at home in the Dutch 2nd division. They are in a pack of 7 teams set apart at the front of the division, 6 points off the leaders after 12 games.

Marcel turns 19 next week, on the 15th. Very young to be getting regular starting work at this level, on a team doing well.

For those sometimes questioning about nationalities of players not yet capped but in Europe, it is standard to refer to the status they have as a player on their European clubs. Marcel, capped for Canada, is listed as Dutch on the Helmond Sport website.

Dwayne De Rosario continues his blistering pace with a goal and an assist in a San Jose 2-2 draw with Real Salt Lake. Pat Onstad played 90 in goal.

Will Johnson is nowhere to be found in Chicago's 2-1 loss to Columbus Crew. Hope he isn't injured.

In Italy Monte Sansovino continues to show they very much contenders for the top spot of their division defeating Bellaria Igea 1 - 0. Uccello came in at the 75 minute mark of this game. 5 wins 1 loss and 1 tie. 16 points one point back of Benevento who also won thier match 2- 0

Next match Wednesay at home in Coppa Italia agaisnt Pisa, and is expected to play the entire match in a 4-4-2.

Rocco Placentino did not play yesterday in a loss to Foligno 4 -1 result. Their next match Carrarese on Sunday.

Atalanta Andrea Lombardo primavera team played to a 1-1 draw. He came int the 23 minute mark of the second half. Thier next match is at home against Inter in their league game on Saturday

De Rosario leads San Jose to undefeated home season

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Soccer/2005/10/09/1254602-ap.html

SAN JOSE, Calif. (AP) - The San Jose Earthquakes became the first MLS team to go undefeated at home Saturday night, tying Real Salt Lake 2-2.

San Jose (17-4-10), which plays its regular-season finale next week at Los Angeles, ended its home schedule with a 9-0-7 mark. The Earthquakes clinched the best regular-season record before the game when the Eastern Conference-leading New England Revolution tied the Kansas City Wizards.

Salt Lake (5-21-5) also made history, becoming just the second MLS team to go winless on the road (0-14-2). The tie snapped Salt Lake's 10-game losing streak.

In the 38th minute, San Jose's Dwayne De Rosario of Toronto slid a shot under defender Brian Dunseth in the Salt Lake penalty area. Goalkeeper Jay Nolly deflected the ball back to De Rosario, who fired into an open net for his eighth goal of the season.

San Jose rookie Julian Nash scored the first goal of his career in the 44th minute off assists from De Rosario and Ronald Cerritos.

Salt Lake cut the lead in half in the 64th minute, when rookie Kevin Novak scored his first career goal on a pass across the San Jose goalmouth that caught the Earthquakes napping. De Rosario, defender Kevin Goldthwaite and former Canadian national team goalkeeper Pat Onstad of Vancouver watched as the ball bounced in the six-yard box and into San Jose's net.

In the 73rd minute, Jamie Watson and Leslie Fitzpatrick set up the equalizer for an unmarked Andy Williams, who scored his fifth goal of the season from eight yards away.

Guest Jeffery S.

Last Sunday Kenny Stamatapolous' Boden were bombed away 4-0 by Brommapojkarna in the Swedish Superettan (2nd tier). They are getting killed lately, and are three points above relegation with two games to go.

Some NCAA soccer info:

The NSCAA rankings reveal some Canuck teams:

6. UConn - O'Brian White

15. Duke - Tomek Charowski

18. Vermont - Nils Binstock, Dominic Chapman

19. Cincinnati - Dominic Oppong

20. UCSB - Tyler Rosenlund, Myles Davis, Andrew Procter

21. Buffalo - Daniel Bell, Shyle Braithwaite

College Soccer news rankings:

6. UConn

8. Duke

15. UCSB

19. Oregon State - Joey Loreth

23. Dartmouth - Rowan Anders, Amar Takhar

24. Cincinnati

26. South Florida - Jason Devenish

28. Washington - Spencer Schmidt

On the stats front:

Jacek Przednowek a Freshman forward from Brantford at Robert Morris is tied for ninth in the nation in scoring with nine goals and three assists in 10 games, good for 21 points. He's also tied for ninth in goals.

Carlo Cudini a senior defender fro Woodbridge at the University of Hartford was named to College Soccer News' team of the week.

Edit: It appears after looking into it that O'Brian White is a Canadian but has been capped by Jamaica.

Hopefully someone can translate this article on Grande:

Grande klager på lite spilletid

Vikings Sandro Grande er skuffet over tiden i klubben.

Av aftenbladet.no , 11.10.2005 kl. 19:15

Sandro Grande - skuffet over lite spilletid i Viking. (Foto: Jon Ingemundsen)

Les også:

- Jeg blir kjernen i laget

Grande har bare startet én seriekamp siden sommerens overgang fra canadiske Montreal Impact, og overfor TVVest legger han ikke skjul på at han er bitter over lite spilletid.

- Jeg er bitter, men det bør alle være som er med på dette nivået. Målet er å spille mest mulig. Jeg kom hit for å spille førstelagsfotball, ikke for reservelaget, sier Grande.

I sommer skrev han under kontrakt med Viking ut 2007-sesongen, men den canadiske landslagsspilleren lar det skinne gjennom at han kan forlate Viking før den tid.

- Da jeg signerte for Viking, hadde jeg tilbud fra England og Bulgaria. Jeg så Viking som en mulighet til nok en gang å få vist meg fram i europeisk fotball. Men da må jeg spille på førstelaget, sier Grande.

Han mener han er god nok for å spille fast for Viking.

- Jeg har gjort det bra for det canadiske landslaget de 18 siste månedene. Jeg har et bra pasningsspill, og har vist at jeg kan score mål, både for Canada, Montreal Impact og Viking 2, sier Grande.

I noticed that Simon Lynch is the top scorer in the Scottish first division. He got a pair of goals October 1st and has 6 overall. He scored in a cup game too. I guess he's got 7 goals overall.

How are his Canadian ties, now that he seems to have solidified a spot somewhere? He'd probably be a way bit down on the Canadian depth chart but we've never been very deep up front.

In Italy Coppa Italia Rocco Placentino Gualdo Calcio C2 girone B defeats Lucchese (C1 girone B)by a score of 2 - 0. Placentino came in the 11 minute second half and made some good points. He did not score but did get a yellow. The new Mister was pleased with his play and should see more playing time on Sunday.

Gualdo next game Sunday in a league game against Carrarese at 15:00

sitting in last place in their Division with 3 points in 7 games into the season

In Coppa Italia Monte Sansovino Uccello played pretty well the entire match was sub out at the 90 minute mark he had 2 great chances to score in early and late stages of the game. He was rated 7.5. The final socre ended up in a draw against Pisa a C1 girone b team.

Monte Sansovino next game is at home against Ancona Uccello scored 2 goals in the last match played in Coppa italia against this Ancona team and sure to see some action on sunday.

They are currently in Second place in their divison with 16 points

in 7 games into the season.

Both will play the same teams in Coppa Italia next week Wednesday on the 19 in away from home match starting at 15:00.

Regarding the Grande article...

He's disappointed about the time spent with the club. He's upset about not getting playing time, and doesn't have a problem saying he's bitter about it. He says he's good enough to be a core player, has shown that he can score at all levels, Montreal, Canada, Viking's reserves.

He signed with Viking because it was a chance to play in Europe (Uefa cup), had offers from England and Bulgaria at the same time. It's possible that he will leave the club before his contract runs out. He doesn't want to play with the reserves.

Hampton & Richmond Borough 2 AFC Wimbledon 1 (Tues 11 Oct)

attendance: 2,520

Elliott Godfrey scored the match winner for Hampton, and Jon Henry-Hayden came in with yet another "super sub" performance.

match report:

http://www.hamptonfc.com/Fixtures/20051011%20Wimbledon.htm

video highlights (including Godfrey's goal and Henry-Hayden):

http://www.donsonline.co.uk/php/videoix.php?matchID=20051011&s=m

Man, we could have used Grande in the playoffs...

Grande is the kind of player who will speak up like that. When he was subbed against Cuba, he was pissed and let it be known. I don't doubt he's good enough for the Viking core; he seems to step up his level to that of the competition.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Man, we could have used Grande in the playoffs...

Grande is the kind of player who will speak up like that. When he was subbed against Cuba, he was pissed and let it be known. I don't doubt he's good enough for the Viking core; he seems to step up his level to that of the competition.

The problem is that Canadians over and over again prove themselves to be impatient in the European system, to not understand how to wait it out. He is signed by the team, they pay him on time, he is allowed to practice. He is not a victim of mobbing. In any career you will always have coaches sitting you on the bench when you are better than guys out there, even at the highest levels. Even when you are training well. So the secret, which is not secret at all, is to train hard, prove the coach wrong every practice, and be a good worker.

Canadians have proved themselves to be impatient and also a bit big-headed over and over again. The most extreme case in recent years was that of Wyn Belotte, who abandoned a wonderful youth system at age 17 in Nantes as he thought he was ready to be a pro. And failed miserably in Sweden, Poland. Now he is back on track, more modest. If he had been patient he likely would have developed right and could be playing somewhere in French top flight.

I think Grande's and Belotte's situation are quite different. Grande is what 27 and should be in his peak form now....the guy has to play and I can see why he is pissed if they bought him to sit him on the bench. It does not seem like he was given say 5 or 6 games to settle in...they simply have not played him. I don't think this has anything to do with being pig headed...its simply that he needs to play and he is smart to go somewhere else if Viking is sitting him on the bench and not giving him a chance.

With Belotte, I totally agree. He was young and foolish. And from his experiences since then, it seems he has a stubborn quality about him and lacks a work ethic. He certainly would have benefited from staying a couple of more years in the Nantes system and developing a bit more before trying to go pro. I think he went to soon, found out that playing against men was much harder than playing against boys, blamed everyone around him for his own failure as he probably was never used to failing...and has been doing that since that time. If he ever gets head screwed on right, maybe he still has a chance but I very much doubt it.

Grande's situation was quite a bit different than those of two other recent Canadian signings into the Scandanavian top flight. Viking was/is near the top of the table making it, not only much more difficult to win a place in the side, but also more difficult for the coach to change a winning side.

Gerba and Ademolu went to two sides struggling to avoid relegation where upgrades were necessary and coaches were looking to shake up lacklustre squads.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Ivan

Grande's situation was quite a bit different than those of two other recent Canadian signings into the Scandanavian top flight. Viking was/is near the top of the table making it, not only much more difficult to win a place in the side, but also more difficult for the coach to change a winning side.

Gerba and Ademolu went to two sides struggling to avoid relegation where upgrades were necessary and coaches were looking to shake up lacklustre squads.

This is a good point. But I still think that you have a contract and you have to work hard to play in this day and age. Great players sit on benches for odd or political coaching decisions, or because inferior players are more integrated into team dynamic. Grande is at the level he probably deserves, he did not hold out at Brescia, maybe he is right for top flight Norway.

What does he want, for them to dump him and find himself back in Canada next season?

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Canadians have proved themselves to be impatient and also a bit big-headed over and over again.

Well I don't know if you can be so general about it. Plenty of players from all over the world, including domestics playing within their own countrys, have lost patience with their club situations. Rightly or no.

Hell. I'd say the opposite is true. Just look down the list of players who'd be on most peoples 1st team for Canada. I think you'd be hard pressed finding a figure who didn't pay his dues climbing up through their respective systems.

Do the older players who go over later have a bit harder adjustment period? Leaning how the "off field" game is playd as it were. You bet.

Put me in coach! Nothing wrong with that.

Archived