UEFA Group Stage Draw, "Canuck" Teams

Guest Jeffery S.

Guest Jeffery S.

PAOK is in a tough group with Stuttgart, Shaktar, Rennes and Rapid Bucharest.

Viking is in a group with Monaco, Hamburg, Slavia Prague, and CSKA Sophia, not easy either.

Tromso, last club in the draw, is with Rome, Basel, Red Star Belgrade and Strasbourg.

Will get the dates of games soon, remember each team plays each other once, either at home or away, for a total of four games. Starting Oct 20 and ending 2nd week of December, with a lot of clubs in cold weather here.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Dandal

I can't give you any link to confirm this (lazy/busy), but the word here is that there will be no home games scheduled for the scandinavian clubs the last two match dates. But Tromsø in november is probably chilly enough.

I have heard the same. Espanyol de Barcelona had their sched changed so as to face Lokomotiv Moscow in the first round there, instead of going to Brondby. All in function of weather.

We'll see how they work it out group by group.

UEFA may only disallow the arctic matches for the last date:

Each club will play two matches at home and two away on the following dates: 20 October, 3 November, 24 November, 30 November/1 December, 14/15 December.

A computer draw will determine the fixture schedule with factors such as stadium clashes and climatic conditions - it is not possible to play in some northern countries in mid-December - taken into account.

You just know that fancy pants Totti and Cassano are not going to enjoy a trip to Norway. Strasbourg haven't won a game this year and Red Star aren't nearly as strong as they used to be.

Still a long shot, but I could see them taking third in the group and getting to the knockout stages.

Basel isn't exactly on the Arctic Circle like Tromso. It will be no different than playing in Strasbourg. They're both on the Rhine, near the Swiss border. It could be dismal but not likely freezing.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by rednwhite

The dates for the Tromsø matches are as follows:

20.Oct Tromsø - Roma

03.Nov Strasbourg - Tromsø

24.Nov Tromsø - Red Star Belgrade

01.Dec Basel - Tromsø

We are looking forward to some exciting macthes here in Tromsø!

I think the prevailing theory on this group stage for UEFA is that if you win the two at home you are through. So the ideal situation is to get the weaker teams visiting you. This is not the case for Tromso, who receive the big clubs. Well, this is good for the gate no doubt.

Each group winner goes on to face a third place team in the next knock-out round of 32, while the 2nd placed team gets a third place side falling in from Champions. It may almost be better to come third than 2nd under this set-up.

Guest Jeffery S.

The dates for the other clubs with our boys are:

Oct 20th

Shaktar-Paok

Viking-Monaco

Paok returns to face the other side in Donetsk after taking out Metalurgh, while Viking gets a troubled team in France, but a good draw.

Nov 3rd

Hamburg-Viking

Paok rests

Viking visits one of the hottest sides in Germany.

24th Nov

Viking-Slavia

Paok-Stuttgart

A must win for both teams, both rivals are those that should be taken to move on.

Nov 30 and Dec 1

Rapid Bucharest-Paok

CSKA Sophia-Viking

Tough matches for both sides, Paok with the short travel to Romania.

15-16 Dec.

Paok-Rennes

Once again a must win for Paok, with this victory they'll go through.

As seeding reflects, I think that both Norweigan clubs have it tough. Paok will have to fight but should make it through.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Hmmm... I wonder if there is any possibility of TLN here in Canada showing those Roma-Tromso matches.

I doubt it. TLN hasn't shown the UEFA Cup in years and are probably now spending enough money on the Champions League. Sportsnet and FSWC have been the only ones with UEFA Cup matches recently, though no one had any last year.

Guest Jeffery S.

Just reminded on the UEFA site summary of the groups that Viking, Grande's team, is the only surviving club in the competition on the basis of the UEFA's fair play invitations to teams that did not qualify directly in their leagues.

Guest Stian Stryni

Norwegian TV2 and NRK2 will show both Viking - Monaco and Tromso - AS Roma october 20th.

(local time is GMT + 1 and some sort of summerdaytimesavings double check the times)

TV2 18:00 Viking - Monaco

NRK2 20:45 Tromso - Roma

So one can see both matches. TV2 and NRK have web-tv which usually sends all matches in norway, but Galatasaray - TIL was not sent on norwegian web-tv.

www.nrk.no/web-tv

www.tv2.no/live

I will come back to you when I know more, if they are sending and how you find the games (as the pages are in norwegian) if you want that. It usually costs 50 NOK (5 USD) to see one match.

Guest Stian Stryni

On this experimental torrent-tracker we have placed several Tromso IL related films and clips.

Check out Bernier Hands in Istanbul.avi and Hirschfeld Save in Istanbul.avi for some (bad quality) shots of the stars! (they where taken on the pub where several supporters had join to see the game broadcasted on Turkish web-tv)

http://stryni.servehttp.com:6969/

Archived