U17 Championships Final (R)

Vancouver Fan

I see Hart was right after we lost them 2-0 in the deciding match in qualifying...Mexico would turn heads at the U-17 World Cup...

Mexico down Brazil to win first world title (3:0)

Omar Esperanza celebrates Mexico's second goal en route to their first-ever junior title.

Ricardo Alfieri

(FIFA.com) 03 Oct 2005

A sublime and effective display of football saw Mexico claim the FIFA U-17 World Championship Peru 2005 with an emphatic 3-0 win over reigning champions Brazil. Timely strikes from Carlos Vela, Omar Esparza and Ever Guzmán helped the Aztec side dominate proceedings and lift a FIFA World Championship crown for the first time in their history.

Magical Mexico make history as Dutch celebrate third

In this feature

Ramirez: "I didn't expect such a resounding victory"

Anderson voted best player, Vela top scorer

Netherlands topple lacklustre Turks (2:1)

Post-match reaction to Netherlands v. Turkey

The opening minutes were very tight as both sides sized each other up. While Brazil had the better of the early possession, it was El Tri who almost grabbed the opening goal with a lighting fast counter attack. It was during these opening exchanges that an incident occurred that would shape the course of the game.

The Brazilian striker Anderson, who had been one of his side's leading players throughout the tournament, was forced to go off after just 15 minutes with a badly injured ankle. Without their orchestrator-in-chief, the Auriverde lacked incisiveness and clarity up front, allowing Mexico to take control of the game.

It came as no surprise when the young tricolores took the lead just past the half-hour mark, nor that the goal stemmed from their mercurial playmaker Giovanni Dos Santos. After peeling away from two defenders wide on the right, the Barcelona player swung in a textbook cross right-foot cross for Carlos Vela, who, after getting goal-side of his marker, put his diving header into bottom right-hand corner (1-0, 31').

While Mexico's opening goal had been on the cards for some time, their second caught almost everyone by surprise. César Villaluz won back possession after Brazil had restarted before floating a weighted ball through for Esparza. The young Chivas midfielder caught it first time, steering a dipping half-volley across Felipe and inside the far post (2-0 32').

With the North Americans keen to take their lead into the break, they sat back somewhat and allowed Brazil to seize the initiative. The defending champions tried valiantly to cut the deficit, but found Sergio Arias in excellent form. The gifted shot-stopper made two superb saves either side of half time to keep his side's two-goal lead intact.

César Villaluz in action against Brazil.

Mauro Alfieri

The second half followed a similar pattern, with Brazil failing to capitalise on their few chances and Jesús Ramírez's side content to soak up the pressure and wait for their chance on the break. When it finally arrived, it was fitting that the final word should go to the team's "super-sub" Ever Guzmán who, after being on the pitch for just ten minutes, scored his fourth of the competition after a quickly taken free kick (3-0 86'). It was to prove the death knell for Brazil and hand Mexico their first FIFA World Championship title.

After celebrating with his players at the final whistle, Mexico coach Jesús Ramírez said that hard work had been the key to his side's success: "In spite of the score line, it was not an easy game. I didn't expect such a resounding victory, as Brazil are a good side. I'm thrilled to have won this tournament. My players were fantastic and played as a team. In the end that made the difference."

Giovani dos Santos, Mexico's best player in Peru, could not contain his joy afterwards: "This game is going to change the history of Mexican football. This is the best day of my life." Team captain Patricio Araujo, who became the first Mexican to lift a FIFA world championship trophy, was on the verge of tears as he said emotionally: "This is something very few people ever do. This one is for you, Mexico!"

For his part, the Brazil coach Nelson Rodrígues lamented his side's inability to respond after going behind. "From that point on, we just couldn't get back in the game. We started well enough, but the game got away from us after that goal."

Rodrígues added that injuries had played a part in his team's demise. "Renato was out injured and then we lost Anderson right at the start. These were both key strikers. Their loss affected the technical quality of the side, and we made countless mistakes. It (the loss of Anderson) changed the course of the game."

Guest Jeffery S.

Dos Santos, the Silver Shoe-Glove-Foot-Ball, is the son of Brazil great Zizinho.

I really don't know the story of how he plays for Mexico. Barcelona is quite happy having him, we are on a good run with signing top world youth, now that Messi has broken out as well. Only problem is that kids this age can't win trophies for you in top leagues, and they need to play. So if you play them first team they are happy, but you lose. And if you don't play them they get impatient and think about moving on. As is Barcelona is wasting great young midfield talent on the bench as we are too deep, meaning I have doubts we'll see this kid on the first team in the next few years.

Archived