Asia tour -- why not?

Jason

I think I might have suggested this last year, but I'm going to bring it up again. Why doesn't the CSA put a men's team together and do an Asian tour in January? With the Scandanavian leagues off and MLS and USL out of season, it seems like a good time. Sure, there would be no Radz, Stalteri, McKenna, DeGuzman, etc but a significant amount of the team would be available. Wouldn't it be interesting to see who emerges from a potential strike force of DeRosario, Occean, Friend, Ademolu, Gerba, and Jordan to choose from? Any combo of Hirschfeld, Sutton, Kenny, Franks, Karim, and Wagenaar could be in goal. Others that would be there would include Grande, Bernier, Hutchinson, Reda, Braz, Gervais, Pozniak, and a bunch of USL guys to fill out rest of the spots.

How about a tour of 4 to 5 games facing clubs like China, Japan, S.Korea, and a couple other lesser lights like Viet Nam or Thailand? I expect that a lot of these countries would like the chance to face Canada. It would be a good chance for the guys to bond and play together, identify talent, and keep up the offseason training.

Jason

I agree that a winter tour (of sorts) would be great but, if we are going to drag the team over a long distance, I would prefer that our players get used to the travel and playing environment of Central America and the Carribean instead.

These are still two of the obstacles we face in WC qualifying that need to be addressed.

I didn't think of FIFA dates into the equation, but as I understand it, you can play games outside those dates but you can't necessarily recall players to do so. With the roster they would pick it wouldn't be an issue for Canada. You would think there would be a few countries out there that would be willing to field teams as well.

As far as money, while it is expensive to get to Asia, it's quite cheap once you're there. This is part of the reason I suggested Asia ahead of other regions.

Jason

It is a good idea that has been suggested many times around here. Basically a national B-team meaning North America based players, and any others who are not playing (Norwegian league?, etc.). Or like David C. suggested, playing in Central America to get used to our main competition.

The main problem is cost. Nobody is going to pay the CSA to play them, so it's upto the CSA to find the money.

Sure, it's a good idea...so is a national pro league, so is a stadium in Toronto, so is...

Archived