Jonathan DeGuzman makes his European debut

Curtis Armada

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Curtis Armada

Unfortunately, Feyenoord bows out of UEFA Cup.

http://www.feyenoord.com/domains/feyenoord/pages/article_v2.asp?content=12820000003379_2_12770000000008

You read that report and you really want to see the kid play, he sounds very dynamic. Indeed sounds quite different from his brother. I recall a photo of them, the younger was shorter, is that still the case I wonder?

He got a lot of mention in the game report for just 45 minutes of work. Too bad Feyenoord is out of Europe but great to hear he is already in the mix for the senior side just 2 short weeks after he became eligible. I hope the Cdn crew at FSW can start mentioning his name when talking about Dutch soccer, along with Beasley of the USA.

I know this may be off this topic somewhat, but just a note on soccer knowledge among US sports fans. I have been spending some time in Groningen, NL recently with American work colleagues. These guys are big sports fans(baseball, football, hockey etc), but definitely not soccer fans. However, one morning at breakfast we were discussing our choice of TV the night before. While flicking around the channels they had heard the name Beasley while watching a soccer match (commentary was in Dutch). I was surprised that these guys knew exactly who he was. Then I mention John O'Brien and they knew him as well and knew that he had played at Ajax.

Point of my story, I think soccer is much more main stream in the US than we Canadians would like to think. Four average American sports fans knew Beasley and O'Brien(and others) I dont think you could say that average sports fans in Canada know DeGuzman or Staltieri.

Getting back to the main topic.....I hear lots good things about DeGuzman the younger from my Dutch colleagues. Although no one in Groningen has heard of Graham Ramalho and he is with FC Groningen.

How long had they been in the Netherlands?

Also, you can't forget that the States have made the World Cup 5 times on the trot. If Canadians in their early 20's know Bunbury because of FIFA98, then you can bet a lot of "casual" fans would know the top Canadian players if they'd been making the World Cup for the past 16 years!

How long had they been in the Netherlands?

Also, you can't forget that the States have made the World Cup 5 times on the trot. If Canadians in their early 20's know Bunbury because of FIFA98, then you can bet a lot of "casual" fans would know the top Canadian players if they'd been making the World Cup for the past 16 years!

They had been in The Netherlands for 5 days. They work in Boston, but traveled to Groningen with me on one trip.

Yeah I guess being the World Cup helps, but I think that reinforces my point. Regardless of the reasons, soccer is known more by the average sport fan. Or at least American national team members. Either way I was quite surprised that these colleagues knew as much as they did.

Point of my story, I think soccer is much more main stream in the US than we Canadians would like to think. Four average American sports fans knew Beasley and O'Brien(and others) I dont think you could say that average sports fans in Canada know DeGuzman or Staltieri.

Archived