Voyageurs Server End Finances - Funding Drive

Jarrek

Guest Jeffery S.

My opinion. I have kept it to myself for a month but I just got paid a chunk of money and now I feel I can donate a bit and maybe give my opinion too.

1. I think this site should not be restricted in any way. There are too few Canadian fans, the "members" list is still tiny after so many years. We have no reason to be exclusive.

2. I think we could simply give people the option to make a yearly donation or become a paying member. And make that a standard quantity, like 25 dollars. Anyone could donate more at their discretion.

3. That kind of quantity would not necessarily give those paying any more privileges. They would be patrons, but modest ones. Like at a cultural institution, paying as a member or patron or "friend of" does not get you more of the basic cultural content -exhibit, concert, show- but it may get you some other little perk.

Just what that small perk might be I am not sure, but it could not cost money, or anything significant, since that would be against the point. I will say, though, that some of us have contacts with Canadian national team players. Maybe between all members we could do a lottery for a signed shirt by a particularly forthcoming player, say once a year. This is just like a small non-profit gallery having a supportive artist do an artwork and do a draw between supporting members to see who gets it once a year. This could be widened to an auction format -accumlating Canada team stuff over the year for it- but coordination could be tough.

4. Those opting to be supporting members or "Friends of Voyageurs" would be reminded during a specific period of the year that it was time to pay up, preferrably privately by e-mail. The site would also have a donations link and info on how to become a member. It should always be clear for someone interested in helping how and who to pay to donate or become a member. They should not have to ask.

5. There are institutions and companies interested in supporting us, and they could also have a chance to become members by paying a bit more than individuals. Once again, perhaps some token perk in a yearly draw could go to one or the other.

6. The site needs some more ongoing care. Maybe there should be some committees opened up, like on the home page for news, or for organizing V-support and banners for games. Just a way to say, hey, now that this is coming up, let's do something. It is really sad to see the news or FIFA rating out of date for such long periods of time, but I know it has to do with overload. I remember once designing polls for this site way back, it was fun. Just saying that I would be interested in being involved in generating content, as long as it was clear how to coordinate esp with those handling the site.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some good ideas here.

- I like the idea of having a raffle or draw as some way to raise funds in the future.

- I think there is a near consensus about restricting access to this site, and the fact that it should be available to everyone. Everyone that has donated have been die-hard fans that can afford to. There are plenty of die-hard fans that simply can't afford it at the moment and personally I don't think we need to set up any perks for people who donate to the site.

- In the meantime I think we should switch back to a shared server. We haven't yet paid off last years server time and we'll continue to charge up more money in the meantime. In future we can go back to a dedicated server when we have our financials in place.

quote:$1500 Imagine the tifo that we could have bought for the next Home game. WOW. A nice pro made flag would set us back ($300) then a **** load of stremers, cardborad displays, WOW.

Yeah, how are those Soccer scarves we were supposed to order?

quote:Jarrek wants way to much money, it had been fine before we switched to a different board and there wasnt much exspense.... i think its garbage that he makes everything so special and then a year later is like we need 1500 bucks.

I just think once the pay board starts its goign to go downhill and less people will come. Plus isnt this board about making the canadian game more accessable to the common person. Not to split them up by having ppl pay.

Sean, If you want to run the board and the server, you're more than welcome to. Let me know where to transfer the files.

The other board wasn't fine as there was a "Service Unavailable" error message during peak hours.

Nobody wants to step up to the plate and contribute to the board on a regular basis. Even though there are DOZENS of editors set in the Content Management system, no one ever updates the homepage.

quote:Originally posted by Jarrek

Nobody wants to step up to the plate and contribute to the board on a regular basis. Even though there are DOZENS of editors set in the Content Management system, no one ever updates the homepage.

I'll volunteer to update the front page a bit more frequently.

That is, if you're willing to add me to the dozens of editors, thereby bringing the total to dozens + 1 ;)

Thanks to the following:

Ray L. $40.00 CAN

Mark B $20.00 USD

Donald K. M. $25.00 USD

Stephen H. $10.00 USD

Bernard A C. $50.00 USD

Bellyblessings Celebrations $20.00 USD

Allan K. $20.00 USD

Markandeya S. $10.00 USD

Ivan S. $25.00 USD

David B. $40.00 USD

quote:Originally posted by dbailey62

How about a 50-50 draw with proceeds going to the site?

db

We almost raised enough cash to keep us going ... During the meeting on the 13th we'll toss some ideas around on how to better orginize ourselves.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone that contributed and thanks to Jarrek

for taking care of this for the Voyageurs.

So far this method is a bandaid solution, but we should seriously

look into getting the funding issues solved and well as getting

our Voyageur site to be the envy of all others. Imagine getting

our site of MNT torrents, or live streaming videos of our MNT...

I'm just asking for comments, suggestions, and whatever. ;)

Also, whatever happened to those Voyageur scarves that were supposed

to be ready for the Gold Cup? [}:)]

quote:Originally posted by redhat

Thanks to everyone that contributed and thanks to Jarrek

for taking care of this for the Voyageurs.

Also, whatever happened to those Voyageur scarves that were supposed

to be ready for the Gold Cup? [}:)]

I want one for 2006, let me get in touch with the guy who was responsible for the Montreal Ultras scarves done in 2005, that way we can get a price in january. Maybe I will be able to finance all this, maybe...

• 5 weeks later...

Archived