Canadian Club Championships

argh1

Alright, I guess I'll do a quick, little match report for the Challenge Cup Final.

In front of a packed house (around 500), both teams came out tentatively and the first ten minutes featured some nervous action.

The first G&G goal was gifted to them by Courtney Campbell, the Ontario keeper. The big man had a slow roller played back to him to clear out (a normal looking play you see a thousand times). Yet, his booming clearance only got 6 feet off the ground and Mark Korthius, who was just striding in to keep the keeper honest, found the ball sailing straight at his head so he nodded it back into the empty net.

Scarborough's reply came later in the first half when Tommy Kouzmanis fired a dangerously positioned free kick over the wall and into the top-left corner of the net. The G&G keeper may have seen it too late.

Scarborough went up 2-1, just before the break, when little Emil Calixterio rose above the crowd to nod a corner-kick home.

Green & Gold equalized midway through the second half when speedy Ian Diaz latched onto a fine pass down the right side, sped past his marker, and cut a great shot inside the left post, past an outstretched Campbell.

Important to note is the fact that Scarborough played with 10 men for a great portion of the second half and all of extra time, after Anthony Marshall was shown a straight Red Card after punching a G&G player, while he was on the ground, after a clumsy foul.

Both clubs seemed to be playing for OT after that and the match ended at 2-2 after regulation.

The first extra half solved nothing, though G&G had some great opportunities to end it all.

G&G goated a few more fine chances early in the second extra frame, and that would come back to haunt them as Ontario would make them pay on the counter-attack.

The ball was played into Gus Kouzmanis, who took it inside the the 18-yard box, along the right edge and cut a dangerous low cross that evaded a diving keeper and stretching defenders and reached a wide open Sultan Haitham, who made no mistake in burying it in the middle of the net.

Haitham was immediately crushed by his celebrating teammates - I still think there's a divot with the imprint of a beaming smile next to the North goal :)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the battles for placings for next year's Challenge Cup:

Saskatoon Arsenal hammered Halifax Celtic 5-2 to take 5th spot.

Sporting Club of Vanvouver defeated PEI's Eastern Eagles by a score of 4-1 to grab 7th position.

Lucania knocked off the Yukon Selects 2-0 for 9th.

And finally, Hampton Labatt Utd. kept themselves out of the basement as they handed a 1-0 loss to the dissapointing St. Laurence Laurentians, who made have had a few pulls from the Screech bottle the night before.

Thus wraps up the Challenge Cup Senior Men's National Championships from Calgary.

Guest Jeffery S.

Hey, I wonder if all those contributing to such great coverage could just give us a few more things. Namely, some of the players that looked talented out there. Especially interested in grown men.

Who was the best man at the seniors?

Anyone out there that looks like they could play at a higher or even pro level?

Any youngsters to watch for?

Thanks a lot guys, have enjoyed the thread.

I think the team from Ontario had several players who were capable of playing at a higher level with Tom Kouzmanis being the best of the bunch. His free kicks throughout the tournament were fantastic.

There was also a forward from Quebec named Moustapha(sp) who was a highlight reel everytime he touched the ball.

Good to see FC Chaleur there and do very well (5th place finish), there's a lot of talented teams in northern NB, especially in Dalhousie and Petit Rocher area. Hopefully this run will expose them to team NB, and they'll have players picked up for the U-17 team.

quote:Originally posted by argh1

As I only got to the 1st day of competition I'll post the Times & Trancript story to wrap up the U-14 Tide Cup. Ontario beat Québec in both finals.

Link to CanadaEast.com

quote:Originally posted by brodycheese

Good to see FC Chaleur there and do very well (5th place finish), there's a lot of talented teams in northern NB, especially in Dalhousie and Petit Rocher area. Hopefully this run will expose them to team NB, and they'll have players picked up for the U-17 team.

Not only FC Chaleur from the North Shore but SC Edmundston from the Upper river valley (even though the young fellas finished 11th).

But it is good to see that competition is fairly even throughout the province. In the Girls Fredericton and Dieppe so teams were from North and South.

Archived