U17 WC Peru [R]

Observer

Originally posted by Robert - 09/23/2005 : 15:13:09</u>

CONCACAF shines @ U17

Costa Rica versus Mexico in one quarterfinal and the United States versus Holland/Brazil/Gambia in the other.

Originally posted by sstackho - 09/23/2005 : 16:38:19</u>

Sportsnet have the final (delayed) on their broadcast schedule.

Here's the quarterfinal and semifinal draw:

(Costa Rica vs. Mexico) vs. (United States vs. Netherlands)

(Turkey vs. China) vs. (Brazil vs. North Korea)

Poor Gambia. This tournament stupidly uses overall goal difference as the first tiebreaker, so Brazil at +5 and Netherlands at +3 advanced from Group D ahead of Gambia at +2, just because Brazil were able to destroy Qatar by a greater score than Netherlands and Gambia did. Had they looked at head-to-head results first, as they should, then Netherlands and Gambia would be advancing and Brazil would be out.

European teams typically don't care much about this tournament. But I'm very surprised that the South Americans did so poorly playing in South America. That being said, Brazil will probably win the whole thing (I'm saying that just because they are Brazil, not that I know anything about these particular teams).

Interesting how little interaction this tournament generates from the Voyageurs. This tournament in a way serves as a preview of many players who might be competing in Canada 2007. As Canada will not have to qualify, and knowing Sportsnet, this is probably the only opportunity to see some of the competition we will be facing 21 months from now. Understandably, the Voyageurs must be rightfully be more concerned about the CSA's ability of having the stadiums to host these games in. Don't fret. I'm sure Kevan will have an announcement for us real soon. In the meantime, I'm going to watch the United States and Holland play.

Guest Jeffery S.

I followed Finland 2003, but since neither Spain nor Canada are here I don't have motivation to follow, and there is little press coming out on it as well. Plus even if they could get a cheap feed they wouldn't as the league is going full hilt, there are lots of other sport stories out there. I think the Finland tournament was in the summer, when the soccer-starved pay more attention. N'etait pas?

Archived