Canadians abroad: September 23-29, 2005

DJT

Guest Jeffery S.

The Tromso result is considered one of the great upsets of the day. On the UEFA site, highlighting Canuck play and a pic of Ademolu celebrating Bernier's goal.

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/UEFACup/FixturesResults/Round=2208/match=81861/Report=RP.html

A good day for the Canadians, except for Jon de Guzman's Feyernoord, knocked out by Rapid Bucharest. Don't know if he played today.

Daniel has played three straight games for Paok now, two away draws and a home win. Donetsk drew the Salonika team both times, Paok went ahead on away goals.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by Rudi

Jonathan De Guzman did indeed, play, coming in at at the half.

(See Curtis armada's thread below)

I won't alter my post so you don't have to either. But thanks for that.

Nice to have three Canadians in the UEFA group stages. Will have to look at the set-up, don't know what those missing out on Champions qualifying end up doing in UEFA this year.

I know this is the kind of information that may indeed deserve a thread considering some rumours to the contrary, but Daniel Fernandes confirmed to me personally last week that he wanted to be a "Canadian keeper", in his words. In all the years we have been in touch he has never said otherwise. All we can hope is that the coaching staff behaves reasonably and treats him like any other promising young player.

Some NCAA info from Wednesday night games.

Both Robert Cavicchia and Josh Wagenaar posted clean sheets in a scoreless draw between Syracuse and Hartwick. The usual Canucks on both teams all started.

Tomer Chencinski made three saves for seventh ranked Fairleigh Dickinson in a 2-1 OT win over Yale. Yannick Rome Gosselin and Donny Mayard also started the match for the Knights.

Tyler Rosenlund picked up an assist for UCSB in a 3-1 win over Cal Poly.

O'Brian White scored his first collegiate goal in UConn's 3-0 win over Sacred Heart.

Alex Ruhe-Lischke scored in Albany's 3-3 draw with Marist.

Friday, Saturday and Sunday will see plenty of Canucks in action.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

Nice to have three Canadians in the UEFA group stages. Will have to look at the set-up, don't know what those missing out on Champions qualifying end up doing in UEFA this year.

I know this is the kind of information that may indeed deserve a thread considering some rumours to the contrary, but Daniel Fernandes confirmed to me personally last week that he wanted to be a "Canadian keeper", in his words. In all the years we have been in touch he has never said otherwise. All we can hope is that the coaching staff behaves reasonably and treats him like any other promising young player.

Good news on Fernandes. The way he's playing (from reports, since I don't think any odf us have actually seen him play), he'll force his way into Yallop's plans.

While I don't think he'll challenge for the number one spot for a few years yet (Sutton has earned it and Lars is once again right behind him), he definitely warrants a look or two in the next year or so.

As for the number of Canadians in the UEFA Cup group stages, I believe it is actually five (Bernier, Hirschfeld, Ademolu, Grande, Fernandes).

This has got to be one of the best weeks for Canadians abroad in a while, as it's not every day that we enjoy multiple players shining in UEFA. Between news like this and the recent match against Spain it's a wonder why we so seldom get results. You just sometimes have to shake your head.

and up the hammers ; ) ... Hume should have wound up there. Zamora's crap. lol

I just watched the UEFA Cup highlights of the Tromso match (torrent link here) and actually all three Canadians were involved.

A Lars goal kick down into the other half, two players go up for it - may or may not have gotten a touch on it. The ball falls to Bernier, he cuts in and takes a shot from just outside the box. It takes a slight deflection off Ademolu who had his back to the ball and was running to the goal. He never saw it. AND he was offside - slightly, but definitely.

Don't know why they awarded the goal to Bernier. Maybe that's what happens when it's accidental contact? Kind of like they won't award an own goal if the shot was on target...

quote:Originally posted by sstackho

I just watched the UEFA Cup highlights of the Tromso match (torrent link here) and actually all three Canadians were involved.

A Lars goal kick down into the other half, two players go up for it - may or may not have gotten a touch on it. The ball falls to Bernier, he cuts in and takes a shot from just outside the box. It takes a slight deflection off Ademolu who had his back to the ball and was running to the goal. He never saw it. AND he was offside - slightly, but definitely.

Don't know why they awarded the goal to Bernier. Maybe that's what happens when it's accidental contact? Kind of like they won't award an own goal if the shot was on target...

In Norway everyone has this down as Ademolu's first goal for Tromsø, so I presume that is the official verdict.

Big praise for your players in the norwegian press; "The heroes in Istanbul were the canadians". Hirschfelt had "a super performance" and is dubbed Tromsø's best keeper ever. First task for the club management should be to sit down with Lars and tie him up for at least over the december matches, preferably much longer, says the local papers.

Match pictures at http://fotball.aftenposten.no/bildegalleri/article.jhtml?articleID=86662&siteID=sa

I would just like to say as Lars' cousin we at home are all extremely proud of him and all the other Canucks shining in this years UEFA cup...this is the support our boys need I just hope their success continues, and behalf of the family back home I wanna thank you guys for all your support...oh and if anybody can give me some more links with tromso pictures and highlites that would be much appreciated

This should have its own thread...

Some extra tidbits. On 70 minutes, Bernier is described as working hard over the entire pitch and pressing the Turks with the ball. Stephen described as "giving it back" to tough Turkish players, and Hirschfeld with heaps of praise from all sources.

It's great with a feature article on uefa.com, but too bad they never say "Canadian international Patrice Bernier", as it would raise the international profile of Canadian footballers, which can only go up. The Norwegian ackowledges this, at least. And it'll pave the way for more Canadians down the road.

TIL is in the bottom group (draw on Tuesday), so they have their work cut out for them in the group stage. But this is already being called the biggest win ever for the club, so there's no pressure on them. Congrats to our guys and the whole team.

quote:Originally posted by ditty

Maybe our goalkeeping is becoming a strength again. Lars in form, Fernandes on the rise, Sutton putting in a solid Gold Cup......Admir Begovic in the wings

Just wanted to add, if it hasn't been said already, that Giacomi made his debut for Sterling Albion earlier in the week -unfortunately, a 2-nil defeat.

For what it's worth, according to the UEFA coefficient rankings, TIL are the lowest ranked side going into the group stages with a 6.665, as compared to top ranked Roma 73.191.

Considering Gala are former winners, that is one incredible upset!

Now let's get Lars and Dani drawn against each other, winner gets the #1 jersey.

Watched the video highlights.

Two remarks:

1. Seeing as the game was played between Turkish and Norwegian teams, and the file was hosted on a German fileserver, it seems a bit strange that the commentary should be in Dutch, but I guess that should not be unexpected. It was nice, since it meant I was able to understand it. Hirschfeld was mentioned as the hero a few times, and made some really good saves.

2. The goal. Well, it was more than an accidental deflection my Ademolu, I think. The announcers credited him with the goal, and there seemed to be some intent in his touch. He also was clearly offside, so Tromso catch a break there. It really was a fairly straightforward Canuck connection on that play. Hirschfeld's clearance - Bernier receives, goes forward and gets a shot - Ademolu's deflection.

Anyway, nice to see those guys have some success. It will be interesting what it is like for teams to come into Tromso (north of the Arctic circle) during the later fall and early spring matches, if they're in the competition that long. Apparently there was already snow in the first leg of the Galatasaray matches.

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

I won't alter my post so you don't have to either. But thanks for that.

You really have to wonder what's driving the coaching staff at the CSA. If they do not call up Fernandes (and why they haven't to date remains to be answered) based on his recent form, then putting the best team on the field to represent Canada has to be compromised by some unknown agenda.

Heads should roll if he isn't given a look. Mind you, you could pave the 401 with skulls if the CSA were held accountable for their lack of success over the last 20 years.

quote:Originally posted by Gordon

Time wasting in the 68th minute? I guess his game is a little rusty!

Now if all the arguments against Lars and Dani are reapplied, I guess they are now 1 and 2 in the pecking order?

;)

This was exactly what I was thinking. The knock against Lars was that he wasn't playing and Sutton was. At this point, not only is he playing, but at a higher level than Sutton, who is now in his offseason. I wonder how it will actually change things. My opinion is that Sutton is Yallop's guy and that will be harder to change than expected. And all of this is not including Dani, who now must be considered for a call up. It is hard to justify not giving him the call now.

Jason

Guest Jeffery S.

Marcel de Jong scored for Helmond, the last goal late, as they beat Top Oss on Thursday 4-1, still fighting for the top spot in Dutch 2nd tier. He played 90.

Guest Jeffery S.
quote:Originally posted by liverpool4life

30-09-05megali.gif

anyone greek ?

Isn't that basically saying that he was like a spirit, he was everywhere? "Fernandez carries Paok to heaven", I think that is what the headline reads.

I have heard his version as to why he has not been called into the Canada scheme of things, but I happen to think he is mistaken, or at least that until now he has not made a good enough case for himself. Of course, I also think Dani is mature enough to make a gesture to the CSA, or else have his agent express his openess to respond to a Canada call if it ever should come.

Archived