Recopa Sudamericana

Copa Interamericana

Copa Mercosur

Copa Merconorte

Copa Conmebol

Supercopa "João Havelange"

Torneo Pre - Toyota Libertadores

Thanks. :)

Does CONMEBOL have an English section to their web site?

Excuse me for removing the yucky sponsor names.

Many of these tournaments are defunct. The only active ones are the Copa Libertadores, Copa Sudamericana and Recopa Sudamericana.

Copa Libertadores

- South America's Champions League, produces the true South American champions

- currently played February-July each year

Torneo Pre-Libertadores

- used to be a qualifying mini-tournament for the Copa Libertadores, played in the autumn of the previous year, involving clubs from Venezuela (because they were considered the weakest in South America) and Mexico (because they aren't from South America)

- hasn't been played in the last couple of years, with Venezuelan and Mexican clubs admitted directly into the Copa Libertadores proper

Supercopa Libertadores (aka "Supercopa João Havelange")

- played 1988-1997, each year involving all previous winners of the Copa Libertadores (talk about being overly redundant, in 1992 there was a "Copa Master Supercopa Libertadores" involving all previous winners of the Supercopa!)

1992-1999: Copa CONMEBOL

1998-2001: Copa Mercosur (southern countries) / Copa Merconorte (northern countries)

2002-present: Copa Sudamericana

- these are somewhat analogous to the UEFA Cup in that they involve many more clubs and are not as important as the continental championship, however they are different from the UEFA Cup in that clubs can participate in both the Copa Libertadores and these (Libertadores held February-July, these held August-December)

- the Copa CONMEBOL apparently wasn't taken very seriously and the Copa Mercosur and Copa Merconorte were just attempts to generate revenue for top clubs (participants were hand-chosen based on size, fan base, history, etc. rather than league position), but the current Copa Sudamericana seems to be more serious (at least participants are based on league position)

- 2005 Copa Sudamericana includes clubs from Mexico and United States, so it's closer to the Copa Panamericana that was originally planned to replace the Mercosur/Merconorte

Recopa Sudamericana

- essentially the South American Super Cup

- originally played between the winners of the Copa Libetadores and the Supercopa Libertadores, then when the latter ended it was not played again until 2002 and has since been played between the winners of the Copa Libertadores and Copa Sudamericana

Copa Europea / Sudamericana

- South America's name for the Intercontinental Cup that used to be played annually, up until last year, between the Copa Libertadores and UEFA Champions League winners in Tokyo

- starting this year it has been replaced by the FIFA Club World Championship

Copa Interamericana

- used to be played between the Copa Libertadores winners and the CONCACAF champions, but was skipped in many years and hasn't been played at all since 1998 (the planned Copa Panamericana was supposed to be a sort of replacement)

There are actually more defunct and one-off cups not listed here. South Americans seem to be great at creating these things.

I don't think there's an English section of the CONMEBOL site, but all of the above information was compiled from RSSSF, which I used to teach myself all this stuff a few years ago, though I had to go back and refresh some of the details.

Excuse me for removing the yucky sponsor names.

Many of these tournaments are defunct. The only active ones are the Copa Libertadores, Copa Sudamericana and Recopa Sudamericana.

Copa Libertadores

- South America's Champions League, produces the true South American champions

- currently played February-July each year

Torneo Pre-Libertadores

- used to be a qualifying mini-tournament for the Copa Libertadores, played in the autumn of the previous year, involving clubs from Venezuela (because they were considered the weakest in South America) and Mexico (because they aren't from South America)

- hasn't been played in the last couple of years, with Venezuelan and Mexican clubs admitted directly into the Copa Libertadores proper

Supercopa Libertadores (aka "Supercopa João Havelange")

- played 1988-1997, each year involving all previous winners of the Copa Libertadores (talk about being overly redundant, in 1992 there was a "Copa Master Supercopa Libertadores" involving all previous winners of the Supercopa!)

1992-1999: Copa CONMEBOL

1998-2001: Copa Mercosur (southern countries) / Copa Merconorte (northern countries)

2002-present: Copa Sudamericana

- these are somewhat analogous to the UEFA Cup in that they involve many more clubs and are not as important as the continental championship, however they are different from the UEFA Cup in that clubs can participate in both the Copa Libertadores and these (Libertadores held February-July, these held August-December)

- the Copa CONMEBOL apparently wasn't taken very seriously and the Copa Mercosur and Copa Merconorte were just attempts to generate revenue for top clubs (participants were hand-chosen based on size, fan base, history, etc. rather than league position), but the current Copa Sudamericana seems to be more serious (at least participants are based on league position)

- 2005 Copa Sudamericana includes clubs from Mexico and United States, so it's closer to the Copa Panamericana that was originally planned to replace the Mercosur/Merconorte

Recopa Sudamericana

- essentially the South American Super Cup

- originally played between the winners of the Copa Libetadores and the Supercopa Libertadores, then when the latter ended it was not played again until 2002 and has since been played between the winners of the Copa Libertadores and Copa Sudamericana

Copa Europea / Sudamericana

- South America's name for the Intercontinental Cup that used to be played annually, up until last year, between the Copa Libertadores and UEFA Champions League winners in Tokyo

- starting this year it has been replaced by the FIFA Club World Championship

Copa Interamericana

- used to be played between the Copa Libertadores winners and the CONCACAF champions, but was skipped in many years and hasn't been played at all since 1998 (the planned Copa Panamericana was supposed to be a sort of replacement)

There are actually more defunct and one-off cups not listed here. South Americans seem to be great at creating these things.

I don't think there's an English section of the CONMEBOL site, but all of the above information was compiled from RSSSF, which I used to teach myself all this stuff a few years ago, though I had to go back and refresh some of the details.

quote:Originally posted by ochico

In Copa Sudamericana

Near the end of the 1st half

DC United 2 U.Catolica 1

U Catolica (Chile) came back to win 3-2 and advance to the quarterfinals after a 1-1 draw in Washington in the first leg on September 13. Five of the other second legs in this round will be played next week, with two more the week after.

quote:Originally posted by ochico

In Copa Sudamericana

Near the end of the 1st half

DC United 2 U.Catolica 1

U Catolica (Chile) came back to win 3-2 and advance to the quarterfinals after a 1-1 draw in Washington in the first leg on September 13. Five of the other second legs in this round will be played next week, with two more the week after.

Archived