Another Limey joins the CSA

Blue and White Army

Seems we have to read the English media in order to keep track of goings in within the CSA!

From the Sunday 18 September 2005 edition of the Non-League Paper:

Canada get their man

Former Gateshead goalkeeper Simon Smith is crossing the Atlantic in a bid to help Canada qualify for the World Cup.

Smith is set to take up a role as national goalkeeping coach with the Canadian FA, after he was recommended for the job by NLP patron Sir Bobby Robson.

"Sir Bobby put my name forward," said Smith.

"I popped over to Canada at Easter to help them out for a few weeks and a couple of months later they asked me if I'd like to take on the role and I'm moving out there in November.

"Now my aim is to get Canada to qualify for the World Cup in 2010."

Wait a minute.

It seems to me that the goalkeep-coaching was one of the strong points of our WCQ campaign, and subsequent matches, other than the fact that Pat Dolan ,goalkeeper at our WC 86', did not appear successful about convincing Yallop about the weakness of Onstad's spatial sense after putting on a red jersey. What credentials does Mr Smith have that Dolan doesn't?

Gateshead, eh? Wow, I'm impressed.

Guest Jeffery S.

The only thing disrespectful about the title is the word "another", which appears with a sigh of tired resignation.

The problem is not that the CSA is a bit obsessed about hiring from Great Britain, it is that we have no results to show for such choices. Our only title was under a German. A mix of soccer cultures would be good for us, as we do not have a style of play that is necessarily British anymore, indeed lately we are not even playing classic British football as we don't have proven strikers for it. And since De Vos left we don't have the defenders for it either.

quote:Originally posted by MikeD

The title of this thread contains a racial slur. Moderator - please edit it. "Englishman" or "Brit" would be appropriate.

Uhh, sorry, you can't say "Englishman" anymore... remember the flap when a broadcaster referred to a Chinese International as a "Chinaman"? (Note to the PC crowd... this is called sarcasm). :)

Wait........politcal correctivenes:

Another offspring of the British Isles has been hired....

I don't wanna be called a Canuck or Maritimer.......I AM A CANADIAN WHO LIVES IN NEW BRUNSWICK

WHAAAAAAAT is this a guy a spic, wap, towel head, frog, heeb, mick, polak, greaser, coon, slant eyes, yankee, faggot, aussie or something...........when did LIMEY become offensive.

Maybe the title should read:

A human being of British decent living in Great Britan has been chosen to be the keepers coach of a foriegn country located in North America

EDIT:

Hopefully you'll get I'm poking fun at the political correctiveness not calling folk names [8D] I threw in yankee because the common name for cock roaches here is Yankee Settlers, which I always found funny .....sorry [}:)]

quote:Originally posted by argh1

Maybe the title should read:

A human being of British decent living in Great Britan has been chosen to be the keepers coach of a foriegn country located in North America

[8D]

You shouldn't use the offensive and racist term "North America", as it is a European colonial name applied to a part of the Earth that was first inhabited by First Nations peoples. Hence naming rights to this land mass properly belong to the Native Canadians and Inuit. [:P]

quote:Originally posted by Dave

You shouldn't use the offensive and racist term "North America", as it is a European colonial name applied to a part of the Earth that was first inhabited by First Nations peoples. Hence naming rights to this land mass properly belong to the Native Canadians and Inuit. [:P]

Hell, I'm a WASP (White Anglo-Saxon Protestant) male ......we own the world.............:D Fouque the rest of ya.......well except for my bank manager who happens to be a non-WASP......who keeps lending me $$ ;)

quote:Originally posted by Dave

Hence naming rights to this land mass properly belong to the Native Canadians and Inuit. [:P]

Nope sorry, you cannot use "Canadians" as that implies acceptance of the colonial forces of occupation. [:P] Try: "First Nations of Turtle Island" ;)

Oh wait, we cannot discuss this using "English" or the western "Alphabet" as these too are symbols of the colonial oppression... ahhhhhhhhhhh...politically-correct... making...head...explode...

[xx(]

quote:Originally posted by Jeffrey S.

The only thing disrespectful about the title is the word "another", which appears with a sigh of tired resignation.

The problem is not that the CSA is a bit obsessed about hiring from Great Britain, it is that we have no results to show for such choices. Our only title was under a German. A mix of soccer cultures would be good for us, as we do not have a style of play that is necessarily British anymore, indeed lately we are not even playing classic British football as we don't have proven strikers for it. And since De Vos left we don't have the defenders for it either.

Well put. I would also question what elements of modern soccer are the British the standard bearers? Well, goal keeping ( oddly enough ) is only thing that I can think of. But other areas such as technical expertise? Training? Coaching? etc. Heck even England and, until recently, Scotland have been hiring foreign coaches. Yet the CSA's hiring pattern would suggest a tunnel-vision approach. Yes, there are some very talent players in England, but they haven't won anything internationally in fourty years. Therefore why are they viewed in such high esteem.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

Well put. I would also question what elements of modern soccer are the British the standard bearers? Well, goal keeping ( oddly enough ) is only thing that I can think of. But other areas such as technical expertise? Training? Coaching? etc. Heck even England and, until recently, Scotland have been hiring foreign coaches. Yet the CSA's hiring pattern would suggest a tunnel-vision approach. Yes, there are some very talent players in England, but they haven't won anything internationally in fourty years. Therefore why are they viewed in such high esteem.

Well you have a different perspective when you grow up admiring Partick Thistle rather than Barcelona.

Mods feel free to delete this as it is soccer related.

quote:Originally posted by Blue and White Army

RJB and MikeD - I hope for your respective sakes that your above posts were sarcastic. If not, you lead very, very sad lives, indeed.

Your first clue would be to look under my username, in order to see where I'm posting from... [:P]

I see your point. Does that mean that if I was black, I could throw "N" bombs around this board? Could every black person be called that if I was black? Similarly, with Asians, and Middle Eastern people?

My life may be "sad," that I won't deny. Just because you are posting from England, does that mean I can't be offended? Of course not.

I repeat my stance that that language is inappropriate.

RJB, find me one proper Brit who finds the term "Limey" offensive, and I'll modify the post.

British newspapers constantly use the term "poms" to describe Aussies... can't you lot take what you dish out?

And "Limey" is hardly, hardly anywhere near the "N-bomb". Puh-leeeeease.

Nothing better to do with your time? This board is to discuss Canadian footie, not to play PC Police.

RJB, find me one proper Brit who finds the term "Limey" offensive, and I'll modify the post.

British newspapers constantly use the term "poms" to describe Aussies... can't you lot take what you dish out?

Nothing better to do with your time? This board is to discuss Canadian footie, not to play PC Police.

Fair enough. You know my point, and I certainly know the rest of the boards opinion too. I'm not out to be the PC police, I just thought that you could explain yourself, and in fact that has happened.

I just want to talk football. As do you. Let's make that happen.

Thanks.

Nothing better to do with my time? It took me 15 seconds to write my post asking the apparently useless moderators to edit your post and then I logged off this site, utterly disgusted. Perhaps you type with one finger or something, which wouldn't surprise me given your archaic attitude.

Since you're worth little more time than that, perhaps another 90 seconds at most, I'll be brief. Brits in England are the majority - so perhaps they've no reason to be threatened by your language. I go the Ottawa Fury games with an English neighbour who has experienced anti-British racism recently, outside of a football context, and I can assure you that the word you chose can be offensive and threatening. But whether you intended to offend is completely irrelevant. I have no reason not to believe you when you say you didn't. I've lived in the UK and I don't dispute what you're saying - your word choice clearly based more on lack of knowledge than malice. But the fact is that most visitors to this board are likely to be Canadian, given the subject matter, so Canadian context and Canadian sensibilities should prevail here. In this context, your word is offensive. The moderators of this board should know this, or perhaps they just don't care.

quote:Originally posted by MikeD

[ I go the Ottawa Fury games with an English neighbour who has experienced anti-British racism recently, outside of a football context,

Did he get hired for a good job because of his English connections?

British is not a race, so British resentment is not racism.

Archived