Owen Hargreaves talks about Canada...

Bertuzzi44

quote:Originally posted by sstackho

<my opinion>

Let's face it. Hargreaves took a huge risk when he decided to show up for that WCQ against Germany in 2001. The risk was that he'd get a single cap - and he was put on the field against his German colleagues when the match was well in hand - and might never be called up again. 5-1 final for England.

And now he has 28 caps. Twenty-eight. That's mind-blowing. I'm pretty sure Canada hasn't even played 28 matches since 2001.

He took a risk, and it paid off. He is getting to play high-level international soccer. He played in the World Cup. He played in Euro 2004. His father would have loved it, according to Owen, although he passed away not long before his first cap.

However, he has never caught on with the English. Probably a combination of non-outstanding performances wearing the three lions, the fact that he doesn't play for an English club, and minor xenophobism from the English.

Sven seems to love him, but I would guess that a replacement manager wouldn't pick him. I think that's the advantage of a foreign manager - they are less succeptible to public pressure.

That's not to say I like the guy. But he took a chance, and it paid off personally.

</my opinion> Wow, what a couple of strong drinks will due to one's blabbering skills...

Uhh.... his father is pretty well actually. It's his English GRANDfather that passed away shortly before he was capped (IIRC).

quote:Originally posted by Elias

My people never let facts get in the way of an argument.

I thought he eventually did say something (or one of his parents did) about being really upset about being cut? (C'MON PEOPLE where are all the anti-Heargreaves-ites when you need them?)

Anyway, if he is not upset about being cut, that's one more reason NOT to blame the CSA. What are they suppose to do? Cap every 12 year-old in the nation? Well I guess they could spot talent, that would be a start, right?

As for calling him a traitor? He choose an other country over Canada, I think that's the definition.

Hey you can call him whatever you like. It's a free country. I've got no problem with that. Just keep it real.

quote:Originally posted by Elias

My people never let facts get in the way of an argument.

I thought he eventually did say something (or one of his parents did) about being really upset about being cut? (C'MON PEOPLE where are all the anti-Heargreaves-ites when you need them?)

Anyway, if he is not upset about being cut, that's one more reason NOT to blame the CSA. What are they suppose to do? Cap every 12 year-old in the nation? Well I guess they could spot talent, that would be a start, right?

As for calling him a traitor? He choose an other country over Canada, I think that's the definition.

Hey you can call him whatever you like. It's a free country. I've got no problem with that. Just keep it real.

People use Canada as a place to raise their kids and enjoy a nice quality of life (and build towards football careers), but when it comes time to stand up and do something in the name of Canada suddenly "no no no I'm English/Portugese/French/Chinese/Indian/Croatian" the list goes on. Hargreaves is a traitor and he's a disgrace to his country (yes Canada is a country not just a PLACE). Why FIFA would even give someone born in Canada and raised there 16 years the option of playing for another country is beyond me, but if he wants to pretend he's English let his silly ass be, and then show me an English person who's with it. Your national team is not a stepping stone in your career, that's what your club's for.

People use Canada as a place to raise their kids and enjoy a nice quality of life (and build towards football careers), but when it comes time to stand up and do something in the name of Canada suddenly "no no no I'm English/Portugese/French/Chinese/Indian/Croatian" the list goes on. Hargreaves is a traitor and he's a disgrace to his country (yes Canada is a country not just a PLACE). Why FIFA would even give someone born in Canada and raised there 16 years the option of playing for another country is beyond me, but if he wants to pretend he's English let his silly ass be, and then show me an English person who's with it. Your national team is not a stepping stone in your career, that's what your club's for.

I remember The Whore telling Canadian fans that he was going to play for Canada. He wanted to play for Canada. This was when HO was manager, well after his cut from the National youth team. That isn't even an issue here. What IS interesting is how long he kept Canada dangling. "No, no, I want to play for Canada!", "I'm going to play for Canada" And those niggly little injuries that would suddenly come up when Canada had a game coming. He'd play in a club match a few days later but y'know, it was a nasty injury. Really unfortunate too cause he was really going to show up this time. The way I figure it, Canada is probably the last place in the world that he'd want to play. England, Wales, Germany, he'd have probably played for the Faroe Islands before he'd ever wear the Maple Leaf. We lost nothing with that little creep. With his sense of national pride and that goofy haircut, he'd have only brought dissension into the ranks. Good riddance. I agree this clip belongs in another heading. It has nothing to do with the Canadian National Team or it's players.

• 12 years later...
  • 3 years later...

Please rescind his passport. HE IS NOT CANADIAN.  Ashole didn't know shit about England, 100% Canadian and turns to money. No problem. YOUR NOT CANADIAN. 

Real men like Alphonso remember his coach who helped him or remember the place he landed. Owen you are pathetic  

Edited by Dag Nasty

2 hours ago, Hawkguy said:

I don't blame him. The old regiment in charge was terrible and we really sucked. 

If he was a budding prospect right now with our current squad - I'd be a lot more angry. 

Did you follow the team back then? (serious question, not trolling)

The game was different. The whole concept of players approaching their national team career like a free agent choosing a club team (i.e. what's best for me/my career) was a lot more frowned upon.

I think players of the same era that could've played for other nations but chose Canada might have a different opinion.

The counterfactual is impossible to know, but I also think that having a player like Hardgreaves could very likely have catalyzed the CSA to professionalize sooner.

If Hardgreaves wanted to he could've been the Milos Raonic of Canadian soccer. Instead, IMO, he chose a more selfish path.

Edited by A_Gagne

Silly, just silly.  The WC in 86 wasnt that far back in time, and we won the gold cup in 2000, we didnt suck.  Him jumping ship led us into dark times..and that kind of cynical choosing of nationality was not the norm back then.  But it did put a stink on the program (made us a laughing stock) and led to a time when we lost a lot of duals that could have kept canada in the top half of CONCACAF.  OH is the blackest of rogues, the worst of the turncoats.  

If this happened today I wouldnt care near as much, because it happens all the time now, players are very pragmatic about national allegiences and i would understand that with our talent now he might be better off going to Wales.  Back then he could have been a very big contributor for us for several cycles and might have put us over the hump in WCQ. 

Owen Hargreaves was cut from the youth squad just because they thought he was too small to compete.  We had him, and then we pushed him away.  I don't blame him for finding a new organization that valued him and treated him fairly.  We were idiots and should take the blame for that fiasco.  Hopefully, our current youth development organization is smarter than that.

5 hours ago, A_Gagne said:

Did you follow the team back then? (serious question, not trolling)

The game was different. The whole concept of players approaching their national team career like a free agent choosing a club team (i.e. what's best for me/my career) was a lot more frowned upon.

I think players of the same era that could've played for other nations but chose Canada might have a different opinion.

The counterfactual is impossible to know, but I also think that having a player like Hardgreaves could very likely have catalyzed the CSA to professionalize sooner.

If Hardgreaves wanted to he could've been the Milos Raonic of Canadian soccer. Instead, IMO, he chose a more selfish path.

Sure and Milos Raonic is less famous than some guys England has rarely played. And yes, I followed. For example, my favourite player of all-time is Iain Hume. I go back a good bit. 

These players are giving up huge breaks of their time to represent their countries multiple times per year. I'm not sure I blame him for not waiting to give up his timeoff to play for a broken program that wouldn't have improved much even with him.