USL D1 Playoffs - First Round [R]

DJT

Vancouver hasn't scored in their last FOUR GAMES....

....and just ONE GOAL in their last SIX.

Absolutely unacceptable.

One thing's for sure - the Caps sure did a lot of damage to their fan growth this year....

First home match: a horribly boring scoreless draw v. Toronto

Last home match: a horribly boring loss to Montreal.

Playoffs at home: a horrible performance, and a shootout loss to an inferior team.

I'd be willing to bet that these are three games where there were lots of free tickets given out... and in all three cases, those new potential fans went home feeling miserable about the product.

Definitely not good for business.

Yes, the players are responsible for what they do on the pitch...

... but I think they should buy out the last two years on Lilley's contract and send him packing. This team just does not excel under his leadership. In fact, we had a better record with Fonseca last year!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
quote:Originally posted by DJT

they actually scored but the ref called it back for a free kick in their favour!

Turns out there was a Vancouver handball outside the box before Richmond put it into the net. Prior to that there was another play where the ball was stopped on the line by a Vancouver hand and the ref didn't notice.

Whitecaps Second Leg match report

CAPS ELIMINATED ON PENALTY KICKS

September 18, 2005 - Whitecaps Men 0

Richmond Kickers 0

After Extra Time:

Richmond wins series 5-4 on penalty kicks - Sunday, September 18, 2005 Swangard Stadium, Burnaby, BC (attendance: 5,332)

Overview:

The Whitecaps saw their season come to a disappointing end, as they lost on penalty kicks to the Richmond Kickers, after playing to a scoreless tie in regulation and overtime in a match that could have gone either way. Vancouver failed to find the net against Richmond over the two-game total-goal series, which featured 210 minutes of scoreless soccer. In the decisive penalty kick tiebreaker, all five of Richmond's shooters converted from the spot, while only four Whitecaps scored. It was veteran Chris Franks, Vancouver's second shooter, who had the misfortune of firing wide.

Josh Wicks again got the start, making three saves on 12 shots for the shutout, his seventh of the year. Richmond's Ronnie Pascale faced 14 shots, and made three saves.

Richmond now advances to face the Rochester Raging Rhinos in the two-game semifinals. The Seattle Sounders will play the Montreal Impact in the other semi. Both series will be played September 23 to 25, with the single-game Final set for Saturday, October 1, to be televised live in Canada on Fox Sports World, and in the US on the Fox Soccer Channel.

Scoring Summary:

No goals

Penalty Kicks:

Vanc: Carlo Corazzin - scored

Rich: Robert Ssejjemba - scored

Vanc: Chris Franks - missed right

Rich: Matt Delicate - scored

Vanc: Martin Nash - scored

Rich: Sascha Gorres - scored

Vanc: Steve Kindel - scored

Rich: Joey Worthen - scored

Vanc: Nick Dasovic - scored

Rich: Kevin Jeffrey - scored

Game Notes:

Vancouver had the first good shot at 14', but Kevin Harmse fired over the bar from outside the box.

It was otherwise a poor first half by the Whitecaps, who had the game taken to them by the visitors. Geordie Lyall had to stop the ball on the line at 17' after Josh Wicks could only partially save a blast from Joey Worthen. Richmond's Matthew Delicate had a goal disallowed at 25', as the ball flew into the Vancouver net just after the referee blew down play for a Whitecaps foul. Then at 40' the ball ran to Delicate in the box, and his quick low shot was well stopped by Wicks.

Vancouver came out much stronger in the second half. The Caps had the best chance of the game at 47' when Martin Nash stole the ball outside the area and fired low from 16 yards, but the shot was turned away by the keeper. Jason Jordan had a great chance at 54' on a cross from Dave Morris, but his downward header from eight yards bounced off the grass and then up over the bar. Nick Dasovic volleyed the ball over the bar at 56', and then Joey Gjertsen just failed to connect in front with a cross from Nash on the left. And it was Nash who had the last good chance of regulation, as at 85' he fired just wide of the far post from 25 yards with the keeper well out of position.

Joey Worthen had Richmond's best chance of the second half, with a hard 25-yarder that skipped just wide.

In extra time, it was Whitecaps defender Liam de Silva who came close at 104' with a short-ranger header from a corner that went wide. Then at 111', Jason Jordan almost intercepted a ball headed back to the Richmond keeper, but while Jordan was able to get a touch on the ball, he couldn't direct it wide of the keeper.

Chris Franks played in his 200th game as a Whitecap.

Martin Nash's consecutive games streak is now at 36.

Remarkably, the Kickers have reached the league semifinals despite being on a 13-game winless streak.

In the night's other playoff contest, the Seattle Sounders defeated the Portland Timbers 2-0 to win their series 3-0. They will face the Montreal Impact in the other semifinal.

Whitecaps: 0.Josh Wicks - 8.Steve Kindel, 6.Mark Watson, 14.Liam de Silva (19.Carlo Corazzin 118'), 12.Geordie Lyall - 7.Martin Nash, 16.Kevin Harmse. 4.Nick Dasovic, 20.Dave Morris (15.Ian Fuller 62'; 24.Ryan Trout 80'; 9.Alfredo Valente 118') - 17.Joey Gjertsen (22.Chris Franks 118'), 26.Jason Jordan

Richmond: 22.Ronnie Pascale - 5.Chris Fox (14.Robert Ssejjemba 120'), 11.Tony Williams, 25.Pete Luzak (2.Jeff Hare 120'), 3.Kevin Knight - 23.Sascha Gorres, 15.Tim Brown, 26.Dustin Swinehart (10.Kevin Jeffrey 90'), 8.McColm Cephas (9.Chris Carrieri 62'), 18.Joey Worthen - 7.Matthew Delicate

Shots: Vancouver 14 Richmond 12

Saves: Vancouver 3 Richmond 3

Fouls: Vancouver 15 Richmond 19

Offsides: Vancouver 2 Richmond 0

Corners: Vancouver 6 Richmond 10

Referee: Steve De Piero (Toronto)

Cautions:

Vancouver: Nash 42', Morris 49', Lyall 112'

Richmond: Brown 5', T Williams 99'

Ooo,look at that.. the whitecaps choke again....

see atleast over here in the centre of the universe we know we suck and dont get our hopes up... but every year u guys just seem to choke.... muahahhahahhahah btw i have an inside sourcethat every tix in vancouver was given away last night.

quote:Originally posted by analyst

On the radio, Schad said he talked to some palyers who were confused by the new 3-2-3-1 system that Lilley chose for the game, a system with just 1 striker (Jordan).

How the f**k is that possible ?

How can some smart trainer try a new system for the first time in an important playoff game ???

He had 28 games before (+ pre-season ones) to find a system !!!

I can't understand that...

quote:Originally posted by analyst

On the radio, Schad said he talked to some palyers who were confused by the new 3-2-3-1 system that Lilley chose for the game, a system with just 1 striker (Jordan).

Wow... if that was ever a reason to fire a coach. I mean, playing ten men all game, what was he thinking? :)

It is pathetic that it is 11:30 AM (ET) and the news of Vancouver's elimination is nowhere to be seen on the main Sports websites in Canada. Tsn.ca, Sportsnet.ca and Slam Soccer have nothing on the game or on the USL playoffs. Shame on them. Only RDS.ca has a article on the results.

Being a soccer fan in this country is very trying.

I downloaded via bit torrent the Toronto Lynx and Vancouver Whitecaps match a couple of weeks ago and watched it. I was struck by the fact that Vancouver was very well organised at the back but exhibited almost no creativity. They only scored due to the Lynx's complete and utterly amateur defensive blunders. I thought at the time that playing like that has no future and that when they come up against a team that is committed to defense in the play offs they will lose. I guess I was right.

On the Lynx's side, i spent most of the second half trying to figure out who was playing left back as Vancouver was simply playing the ball into acres of space there on several occassions. I never figured it out. Their organisation was absolutely terrible....and that was the main difference between the two sides.

It was a '4+3+2+1' also known as a 'christmas tree' formation, not a 3+2+3+1 earlier reported. Still just stupid. I mean thats what you play if you are going into the second game of the aggregate with a two goal lead, not what you play if neither team has scored. the sad thing after the first half nothing was working and they kept with the stupid formation and didn't revert to something more logical like a 4+4+2.

Well Lilly did win a USL title with hershey a few years ago. But Since that time, he had taken over two teams, whom he guided to solid season, who bowed out far too earlier than they should have in the playoffs.

In both Van and Mtl, his teams had a pile of trouble scoring in the playoffs.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

Well Lilly did win a USL title with hershey a few years ago. But Since that time, he had taken take over two teams whom he guided to solid season only to bow out far earlier than they should have in the playoffs.

Lilley never won a USL title with Hershey. He got them to the final game in 2001 but the Wildcats lost to Rochester and amazingly folded less than a week later.

It wasn't until Montreal replaced Lilley with a certain ex player with a first name Nick and a last name beginning with D before the Impact won a final.If that's all it takes to win,Vancouver has one of those as well.What are we waiting for?Dasovic as coach of the Whitecaps would all but guarantee a champioship in Vancouver. ;)

quote:Originally posted by Johnnie Monster

Vancouver hasn't scored in their last FOUR GAMES....

....and just ONE GOAL in their last SIX.

Absolutely unacceptable.

Yes, the players are responsible for what they do on the pitch...

... but I think they should buy out the last two years on Lilley's contract and send him packing. This team just does not excel under his leadership. In fact, we had a better record with Fonseca last year!

Did Lenarduzzi sign Lilley to a 3 year contract? If so hopefully the contract was in US currency, which has depreciated quite a bity in the last year, just like Lilley's reputation.

quote:Originally posted by SeanKeay

Ooo,look at that.. the whitecaps choke again....

see atleast over here in the centre of the universe we know we suck and dont get our hopes up... but every year u guys just seem to choke.... muahahhahahhahah btw i have an inside sourcethat every tix in vancouver was given away last night.

Whitecaps are trying really hard to match the Toronto Maple Leafs record for futility in the playoffs!

Been to lots of 'caps games, lurked on this and K-Head's website/board for ages.

Gotta say - I'd love to know what Carlo thinks. He was hopping mad at being made to sit on the bench last night, and looked livid at pretty much everything that was going on. How could he have been the kingpin when the 'caps spanked sunderland, when it "didn't matter" and made to sit in the corner for almost 2 hours on sunday night???

Oh to have been a fly on the wall as the senior players talked about this one.

Carlo for player-manager. Anyone but Lilley, anyhoo.

Could Carlo motivate the players? I know what I think.

If Carlo's too disgusted, bring back the Duze. Or Carl Valentine. Jeez.

A thought. If Mr Lilley's so ****ing great at showing players how to defend, shouldn't that mean we free up players to play forward? What about 3 forwards instead of 1?

At least the half-time munchkins scored a bunch of goals....

The caps have a once-in-a-lifetime chance to get it right, with the most farsighted owner they could wish for. Let's hope the soccer side of the management can do what's right and what's needed; thank Mr Lilley for his help and move on in a more exciting direction.

"Boring Bob" Lilley won the same award two years ago with Montreal

I don't know what happened this year (2005) but what I saw in 2003 only deserved the award of worse coach of the year...

But USL awards are stupids

Even Sutton MVP in 2004 (even if he maybe was the best keeper in the league) was an error : Sutton had nothing to do the whole year, didn't save any point during the regular season (the only time he saved the team was the playoff game at Rochester)

so...

quote:Originally posted by piltdownman

Its the USL that has him nominated for coach of the year.

Here is their contact page, so you can email them to tell them to remove him

I contacted the USL and questioned their including US Open cup games when evaluationg the USL-1 All league teams after they made it clear that why the 10th place team (Mionnesota) had three players on the second team. Got back a reply that blah, blah, coaches voting this and that blah blah. They haven't a clue with these award nominations it's all a big crapshoot.

Lilley up for coach of the year award proves that. What was the Whitecaps road record again?

Here is my letter:

I am writing to object to the USL even nominating Bob Lilley for coach of the year. I do so as a long term Vancouver Whitecaps supporter. Mr Lilley provided Vancouver fans with extremely boring and extremely frustrating football this season. He has been questioned all year by the fans and the the local media. And he answered these questions with Vancouver's quick exit from the playoffs, which he was directly responsible for. Sure the Whitecaps came in 3rd this year, but I and every other well educated soccer fan in this city will tell you that is due to the quality of the players not his rubbish contributions. You only have to look at the second game of that aggregate against richmond. He played a 4-3-2-1 (Christmas Tree) formation, for the entire game. This would have been a very effective strategy if the team had gone into the game with a lead and hoped to defend it; however, any football observer will tell you this is a terrible formation if you want to create any offense. Especially since Richmond was a heavy favorite for penalty kicks. So I say that including Bob Lilley in the nominations for coach of the year is an insult to every player, coach and fan of this league.

Archived