USL D1 Playoffs - First Round [R]

DJT

2005 USL D1 PLAYOFFS — FIRST ROUND

(3) VANCOUVER WHITECAPS vs (6) RICHMOND KICKERS

September 16 - 7:00 PM EDT - at Richmond

September 18 - 10:00 PM EDT - at Vancouver

Live radio/audio Webcast for both matches:  Vancouver

Winner plays (2) Rochester in Semifinals on September 23 & 25.

(4) SEATTLE SOUNDERS vs (5) PORTLAND TIMBERS

September 16 - 10:00 PM EDT - at Portland

September 18 - 10:00 PM EDT - at Seattle - LIVE ON FSWC

Live radio/audio Webcast for both matches:  Seattle

Winner plays (1) Montreal in Semifinals on September 23 & 25.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First leg final:

Richmond 0Vancouver 0

The commentators thought that Vancouver could have won, but played just decently, not great. Richmond are really poor right now, so Vancouver will have to do much better in Rochester if they get by Richmond on Sunday as they should.

Speaking of Richmond being poor, it's amazing how their season has gone:

April-May:8-1-118-725

June-September:2-8-810-2314(not including this playoff match)

For comparison, the Lynx in June-September:3-5-1114-2814

Richmond have not won since July 9 and have scored only 4 goals in 12 matches (including this one) since then.

quote:Originally posted by Blue and White Army

I can post the audio for this match, if you like. I'm going to record the entire hour of post-match as well.

It doesn't matter to me. But, since you are in England, I assume you wouldn't post it until later on Saturday. Since I can post it in the next couple of hours, I might as well do so.

Richmond vs. Vancouver (First Leg) Reports

Kickers report

Kickers Draw In First Playoff Match

Need A Victory In Vancouver To Advance

GAME SUMMARY

Friday, September 16, 2005 – University of Richmond Stadium, Richmond, VA

Vancouver Whitecaps 0

Richmond Kickers 0

RICHMOND, VA – The Richmond Kickers and Vancouver Whitecaps opened the first leg of the First Round of the 2005 USL First Division playoffs with a scoreless stalemate. Few chances were created on either side of the field as neither team could find an offensive rhythm, producing a combined seven shots throughout the game. The First Round series winner will be determined this Sunday, September 18th as the two teams swap home-field advantage, traveling west to Vancouver for the second leg at 10:00 p.m. EST.

A scoreless first half resulted in only two chances per team. USL regular season scoring and goal scoring champion, forward Jason Jordan created the first scoring opportunity for Vancouver in the 8th minute, firing a rocket from the top of the box, sending the strike just wide of the target.

Richmond forward McColm Cephas looked for the back of the net in the 22nd minute when he received the ball deep on the right side and sent a high shot on goal towards the upper left hand corner of the goal but Whitecaps goalkeeper Josh Wicks was able to make a leaping save to prevent the goal.

Three minutes later, Whitecaps midfielder Martin Nash found the ball at the top of the 18-yard line and sent a low strike on goal but his attempt was cleared by Richmond defenders.

The Kickers made one last first-half effort in the 35th minute when Dustin Swinehart, on loan from USL Second Division Champion Charlotte Eagles sent a cross to an unmarked forward Kevin Jeffrey, at the penalty spot; however, Jeffrey’s header was denied by a leaping Wicks.

The second half followed suit as both teams continued with a battle in the midfield and few scoring opportunities. Richmond midfielder Sascha Gorres created the best chance for the Kickers in the 49th minute, sending a 20-yard free kick on goal but Wicks was able to punch the ball out of harm’s way.

Later, in the 75th minute, Jordan received the ball in the box after Kickers defender Ronnie Pascale was unable to clear the ball but his lofty shot sailed over the goal. Three minutes later, midfielder Martin Nash took a dangerous free kick on a penalty called inches from the box and drilled a shot on goal but Pascale was able to smother the ball for the save.

The winner of the second leg on Sunday night will play second-seeded Rochester Raging Rhinos in the USL First Division Semifinals. Should the Kickers defeat the Whitecaps, they will host the Rhinos on Friday, September 23rd at the University of Richmond Stadium.

Box Score First Half Second Half Final

Vancouver 0 0 0

Richmond 0 0 0

Scoring Summary

None.

Lineups

Kickers: GK Ronnie Pascale, Chris Fox, Peter Luzak, Tony Williams (Paul Williams – 49th minute), Tim Brown, Sascha Gorres, Kevin Knight, Joey Worthen, Dustin Swinehart (Matt Pauls – 83rd minute (Matt Bobo – 90th minute)), Kevin Jeffrey (Chris Carrieri – 56th minute), McColm Cephas (Robert Ssejjemba – 70th minute)

Whitecaps: GK Josh Wicks, Jeff Clarke (Nick Dasovic – 73rd minute), Geordie Lyall, Ian Fuller (Dave Morris – 78th minute), Kevin Harmse, Joe Gjertsen (Ryan Trout – 87th minute), Chris Franks, Jason Jordan (Carlo Corazzin – 89th minute)

Shots Saves Fouls Corners

Whitecaps: 4 Whitecaps: 2 Whitecaps: 14 Whitecaps: 3

Kickers: 3 Kickers: 2 Kickers: 12 Kickers: 2

Cautions:

13th minute: McColm Cephas (Richmond)

58th minute: Jeff Clarke (Vancouver)

69th minute: Joey Worthen (Richmond)

84th minute: Nick Dasovic (Vancouver)

Ejections:

None.

Referee: Joe Caroccio

Assistant Referees: Steven Taylor, Ben Hichak

Fourth Official: Robbie Fierro

Attendance: 2,476

Weather: Sunny, Warm, 80º

First Market Bank Man of the Match: Peter Luzak

Whitecaps report

Whitecaps Tie Richmond 0-0

September 16, 2005 - Richmond Kickers 0

Whitecaps Men 0

Friday, September 16, 2005

University of Richmond Stadium, Richmond, VA (attendance: 2,476)

Overview:

The Whitecaps opened their 2005 playoff campaign in Virginia with a scoreless tie away to the Richmond Kickers, in the first of a two-game total-goal series. Vancouver controlled the balance of play for most of the match, but neither side was able to generate many scoring opportunities, in a typically tight playoff encounter.

Josh Wicks got the nod in goal ahead of Mike Franks, who is just back from injury. It was the rookie's seventh consecutive start, as he recorded his sixth shutout on the year.

The series now becomes a single-game winner-takes-all affair, with the Whitecaps holding home advantage. The return leg goes Sunday, September 18 at Swangard in a 7:00pm PT kick-off. Roughly 1,300 tickets are still available for this game, but fans are encouraged to purchase in advance through Ticketmaster as a large walk-up crowd is expected.

The winner of this series advances to face the second-place Rochester Raging Rhinos next weekend in another two game-series. Rochester and Montreal have a bye in this round, while Seattle and Portland make up the other first round match-up.

Scoring Summary:

No goals

Game Notes:

The first legitimate chance fell to Vancouver, as Joey Gjertsen fired wide from good position at 8'. Martin Nash had a dangerous volley blocked at 25', while a header from Ian Fuller at 42' was saved by goalkeeper Ronnie Pascale. A minute later Fuller had another chance that went high.

Richmond's best chance came when they broke in two-on-one at 40'. However before Tim Brown could deliver the ball to McColm Cephas, defender Geordie Lyall got back to break up the play.

Richmond had more possession in the second half, and forced Josh Wicks to deal with a number of dangerous crosses, but the Kickers failed to get a good shot on target.

League scoring champ Jason Jordan was closely marked, but did manage to get a shot away at 74', but chipped it over the bar.

One of Vancouver's best chances came at 78' when a great one-two between Chris Franks and Steve Kindel saw Franks fouled at the edge of the penalty area. Martin Nash blasted the resulting free kick through a maze of players, but goalkeeper Ronnie Pascale did well to hold the shot.

Martin Nash's consecutive games streak is now at 35.

If Sunday's game is tied, then 30 minutes of series overtime (not sudden death) will be played. If there is still no result, then the series will be decided by penalty kicks.

The Whitecaps have never lost to Richmond all-time, with a record of 2-0-2.

Forward Jason Jordan and midfielder Steve Klein were recently named to 2005 All-League First Team. Vancouver hasn't had two players named First Team All League since 1996, when it was Domenic Mobilio and Martin Nash. Meanwhile, Richmond defender Peter Luzak was named Second Team All League.

Richmond limped into the playoffs on an 11-game winless streak, which saw them drop from first place in mid-July to sixth spot.

Mike Franks has now missed seven games after suffering a hyper-extended left elbow on August 14 at home to Richmond.

This is the ninth year in a row that Vancouver has qualified for the playoffs. Only Rochester has a better record, having qualified for the last ten years in a row.

Whitecaps: 0.Josh Wicks - 22.Chris Franks, 16.Kevin Harmse, 6.Mark Watson, 12.Geordie Lyall - 8.Steve Kindel, 7.Martin Nash, 15.Ian Fuller (20.David Morris 78'), 2.Jeff Clarke (4.Nick Dasovic 73') - 26.Jason Jordan (19.Carlo Corazzin 89'), 17.Joey Gjertsen (24.Ryan Trout 87')

Richmond: 22.Ronnie Pascale - 3.Kevin Knight, 5.Chris Fox, 11.Tony Williams (12.Paul Williams 49'), 23.Sascha Gorres, 25.Peter Luzak - 15.Tim Brown, 18.Joey Worthen, 26.Dustin Swinehart (21.Matt Pauls 83'; 4.Matt Bobo 90') - 8.McColm Cephas (14.Robert Ssejjemba 70'), 10.Kevin Jeffrey (9.Chris Carrieri 56')

Shots: Vancouver 4 :: Richmond 3

Saves: Vancouver 2 :: Richmond 2

Fouls: Vancouver 14 :: Richmond 12

Offsides: Vancouver 0 :: Richmond 3

Corners: Vancouver 3 :: Richmond 2

Cautions:

Vancouver: Clarke 58', Dasovic 84'

Richmond: Cephas 13', Worthen 69'

Richmond Times-Dispatch

Kickers, Whitecaps fire blanks in series opener

BY SENECA CONTOMANOLIS

TIMES-DISPATCH STAFF WRITER

Sep 17, 2005

USLFD PLAYOFFS

KICKERS 0 VANCOUVER 0

TOMORROW:

Richmond at Vancouver, 10 p.m.

Goal-scoring opportunities were few and far between last night at UR Stadium, and when chances did arise, neither the Richmond Kickers nor the Vancouver Whitecaps took advantage of them.

The sixth-seeded Kickers were unable to snap their 12-match winless streak (0-5-7) as they battled the No.3 Whitecaps to a 0-0 tie in the first round of the United Soccer Leagues First Division playoffs.

The first round is a home-and-away aggregate score series, meaning whoever scores the most goals in two games wins the series. The winner advances to play second-seeded Rochester, which had a first-round bye, on Sept. 23.

In a game that was mostly defense, both teams combined for only seven shots -- four for Vancouver and three for Richmond. Most of those shots did not test the goalies as the Kickers' Ronnie Pascale and the Whitecaps' Josh Wicks were credited with two saves each.

Though their offensive showing was not that impressive, coach Leigh Cowlishaw was encouraged by how his defense played, especially since Vancouver has the USLFD's leading goal and points scorer in Jason Jordan.

"That is one of the things I am very pleased with. It was a clean sheet," Cowlishaw said. "They are a very dangerous team with Jordan being the leading goal scorer."

Richmond's best opportunity in the first half came in the 36th minute when Dustin Swinehart dribbled down the right side and crossed the ball into a crowd of players in the box. The ball somehow found Kevin Jeffrey's head, but his header was directed right at Wicks, who easily scooped it up.

The Kickers had another chance in the half when Sasha Gorres streaked down the middle of the field with the ball and McColm Cephas to his right. The run was halted when the last defender in his path stole the ball from him at the top of the box.

With two or three defenders following his every move, Vancouver's Jordan had only one decent chance all night. In the 57th minute, he made a nice move down the right side to get by defender Chris Fox, but as he took the shot, another defender slid in at the last second to deflect the ball out of bounds.

"We knew Jordan was going to be a threat," Cowlishaw said. "In the second half, we were really tight with our markings and didn't give him many opportunities to make plays."

The Kickers' only real chance to score in the second half (they had only one shot in the half) was when Joey Worthen sent a cross from about 25 yards out into the box. Richmond's Robert Ssejjemba was all alone and went up for the header, but Wicks punched the ball away just in time.

Richmond will travel to Vancouver to play the second game of the series tomorrow night at 10.

"We got one more game and anything can happen," Cowlishaw said. "We have everything to play for. Every game is now a final. We now go to their place. We know they have a tough crowd. We've already been there and tied 1-1, so we hope we can come out with a victory."

Vancouver ------------------------- 0

0 -- 0

Richmond ------------------------- 0

0 -- 0

Shots: Vancouver 4-3

Saves: Vancouver, Wicks 2; Richmond, Pascale 2

Corner kicks: Vancouver 3-2

Offsides: Richmond 3-0

Fouls: Vancouver 14-12

Yellow cards: Cephas, Rich, 13th; Gjertsen, Van, 58th; Worthen, Rich, 69th; Dasovic, Van, 84th

Attendance: 2,476

quote:Originally posted by youllneverwalkalone

Re: Vancouver, I actually got off my ass and went to a few games this year, so I didn't notice, but in season's past cable 4 would show the matches. Any chance Sunday's match will be on TV?

No. The Whitecaps actually paid to produce those cable 4 games. They decided they were not getting their moneys worth out of the broadcasts and eventually it shrank down to those 30 minute shows on Sportsnet that they showed up until this year. This season they decided to go with those 30 minute shows on CityTV that nobody watches because they contain very little soccer.

I went down to Richmond to see the Whitecaps-Kickers game. The first half was pretty even. A lot of midfield play. Maybe I would give the edge to Richmond. The second half the Whitecaps definitely dominated possession and attacked a lot more than Richmond. As soon as the final whistle blown the Whitecaps on te field shook hands with the Kickers and got out of dodge. I think that I overheard that their flight back home was scheduled to leave at either 3am or 5am so they weren't trying to socialize.

They way that Richmond is playing (comatoze offense) the Whitecaps should take them at least 2-0 up in BC.

DJT, are you planning to record audio again on Sunday night?

Since tonight's two matches are at the same time, I'm assuming you won't be able to record both of them. I'm also assuming you'll be listening to Vancouver-Richmond, and thus won't be recording Seattle-Portland.

If I were to stay up to listen to the Vancouver match, it would mean staying awake until 5am GMT. I very well might... but if I don't, I'll set my computer to record the Seattle-Portland audio, assuming that you will record the Vancouver-Seattle audio (the latter I would listen to on Monday morning, hoping I wouldn't come across any spoilers).

How does this arrangement sound to you?

By the way, Scooter will be recording the video of Seattle-Portland, at 700-ish MB each half.

My plan is to watch Seattle vs. Portland while listening to and recording Vancouver vs. Richmond. I'll post the recording as soon as possible so that you can have it first thing Monday morning.

But I have two computers so I plan to also record the Seattle vs. Portland audio. However, I won't be monitoring it, so you can record it as well if you want to be sure (not that I expect any problems - the streams sometimes pause but I haven't had one completely die and require a manual restart). I can post this recording when I post the other one, but let me know if you want to post yours instead.

Second Legs

Halfway through the first half:

Vancouver 0 Richmond 0

- Vancouver are getting torn up, lots of chances for Richmond, 6 corner kicks already, they actually scored but the ref called it back for a free kick in their favour!

Seattle 1 Portland 0

- Seattle with another early goal, lead 2-0 on aggregate

Halftime:

Vancouver 0 Richmond 0

- fewer chances and just one more CK for Richmond in the second part of the half, but nothing from Vancouver except lots of giveaways; commentators have said about the Whitecaps: "worst half of the season", "atrocious", "in sixes and sevens", and the best line of all by Allan Errington, "not one player can pass wind, never mind pass the ball" (LOL!)

Now technical problems during halftime have killed the Vancouver Webcast. Hopefully they get it back soon.

Seattle 1 Portland 0

- Portland down to 10 men now, Seattle getting the chances and holding strong at the back, I think this one is over

About halfway through the second half:

Vancouver 0 Richmond 0

- Webcast is still dead, doubt it will come back, must rely on tiny updates on Whitecaps site, can't tell how match is going based on that

Seattle 2 Portland 0

- haven't been able to watch the second half, but the second goal (3-0 aggregate) has killed off any interest that remained for neutrals

About halfway through the second half:

Vancouver 0 Richmond 0

- Webcast is still dead, doubt it will come back, must rely on tiny updates on Whitecaps site, can't tell how match is going based on that

Seattle 2 Portland 0

- haven't been able to watch the second half, but the second goal (3-0 aggregate) has killed off any interest that remained for neutrals

Second leg, full time & final:

Seattle 2  Portland 0

5' SEA Roger Levesque

??' (2nd half) SEA Roger Levesque

(I don't think it was posted before, but the lone goal in the first leg was also scored by Roger Levesque (2').)

Aggregate:

Seattle 3  Portland 0

Seattle vs. Montreal in one semifinal, a rematch of last year's final.

Penalty kick details:

"For the Whitecaps, penalty shots were made by Corazzin, Franks, Nash, Kindel and Dasovic, with Franks' shot being the only miss. Ssejjemba, Delicate, Gorres, Worthen and Jeffrey all made their shots for the Kickers."

Interestingly, Franks had just come on in the 118th minute for Joe Gjertsen (as did Corazzin, for Liam de Silva). Also, league leading scorer Jason Jordan did not take a PK!

The other strange thing is Bob Lilley's subs: despite an awful first half, there were no changes until the 63rd when Ian Fuller replaced Dave Morris — then Ryan Trout replaced Fuller in the 80th, then Alfredo Valente replaced Trout in the 118th!?! What the heck??? (At least that's the way it appears on the Whitecaps' tracker.)

Man, if there's one post-match I'd like to hear, it's this one, but the stream is still down. :(

Those subs in the 118th minute were merely to get in PK takers.In hindsight Alfredo should have taken the PK instead of Franks.However,Franks has had a good record on PKs during his career.In the post game show Franks showed an amazing amount of class by coming on and issuing an apolgy to the fans.He also stated that it was not how he wanted to end his career.His PK grazed the outside of the post on his right side.

Trout came on for Fuller after Fuller had pulled his hamstring.Fuller had only been on the pitch for 17 min after replacing an injured David Morris.

The fans were gutted.After another good regular season we were once again left wondering what could have been.Ending our season at home for the third year in a row(Twice on PKs)is unbeleivable. :(

quote:Originally posted by DJT

Interestingly, Franks had just come on in the 118th minute for Joe Gjertsen (as did Corazzin, for Liam de Silva). Also, league leading scorer Jason Jordan did not take a PK!

The other strange thing is Bob Lilley's subs: despite an awful first half, there were no changes until the 63rd when Ian Fuller replaced Dave Morris — then Ryan Trout replaced Fuller in the 80th, then Alfredo Valente replaced Trout in the 118th!?! What the heck??? (At least that's the way it appears on the Whitecaps' tracker.)

Man, if there's one post-match I'd like to hear, it's this one, but the stream is still down. :(

On the radio, Schad said he talked to some palyers who were confused by the new 3-2-3-1 system that Lilley chose for the game, a system with just 1 striker (Jordan). Lots of fans who phoned in were upset with the system and with Lilley's decision to keep Corrazin and Valente on the bench until the 118th minute. Lenarduzzi defended the system by arguing that 1 striker is not really a defensive system as the offence can come from long range shots from the midfielders.

The Duze also said that Lilley chose to have Morris play behind Jordan. That was another stupid decision. Morris's stength is running down the wing, not dribbing or passing the ball as a central midfielder, in a tight spaces. Just a plain dumb choice by Lilley.

Lilley also started Desilva at centre defence, instead of Chris Franks who played defence in Richmond. De Silva was brutal with the ball, but he did well on corners.

Lilley should have used Corrazin and Valente. The team has not scored in over 300 minutes of play. Offensive players were needed, but Lilley would not let them play. Both wanted to play, they were constantly warming up all game long. It was their way of telling Lilley they were ready to go in.

If Lilley is back next year, then I won't renew my seasons's tickets.

quote:Originally posted by Vancouver Fan

Those subs in the 118th minute were merely to get in PK takers.

Yeah, I realize that...

quote:Trout came on for Fuller after Fuller had pulled his hamstring.Fuller had only been on the pitch for 17 min after replacing an injured David Morris.
...and suspected something like that, so, I say again, what the heck? After such poor play (I don't know what happened in the second half, but even based on the first half alone), only ONE "real" sub?

quote:Originally posted by analyst

The team has not scored in over 300 minutes of play.

On the other hand, Richmond are saying who needs goals when they have scored only 4 in their last 13+ matches over 10 weeks and yet are going to the semifinals! ;)

Thanks for the comments, guys.

Archived