Who breaks Randy Samuel's caps record?

RS

Reading through the 'all-time best Canadian' thread, somebody mentioned that Randy Samuel holds the men's caps record (82), and it got me to thinking about who has the best chance of breaking that record.

The active player with the most caps is Stalteri at an even 50, but at 28 years old one has to wonder if he'll get another 32 caps, especially given that he's oddly earned only 3 in the Yallop era.

Brennan is next at 41 caps, but he's the same age as Stalteri. Unlike Paul, his spot on the roster is not as secure - he's got healthy competition from Simpson, Jazic and Klukowski for his preferred positions (LM or LB). I'd say it's even less likely that Jimmy reaches Samuel's milestone than Stalteri.

The top four candidates for setting the new caps mark are:

Atiba Hutchinson (17 caps) - This guy is the heart and soul of the team already, and my defacto pick for the all-time caps record (when it's all said and done). I wouldn't be surprised to see Atiba break the 100 cap mark before he retires from the national team.

Jaime Peters (11 caps) - If one were to look purely at age and number of caps already won, then Peters may be the favourite for the crown. At 18 he's already a Yallop favourite, and will improve at Ipswich to the point where he will be an automatic starter on the national team in 3-4 years time.

Josh Simpson (12 caps) - 22, and looks to be forcing his way into the starting spot at LM. Plus, he can play LB in a pinch.

Iain Hume (13 caps) - The competition at his position is a little tougher to crack, but hopefully his move up to the Championship will allow Hume to flourish to the point of becoming a guaranteed starter for Canada.

My wildcard pick is Kevin McKenna (31 caps), who's 25, but for a defender that is very young. He may reach Samuel's record before the four mentioned above, given that he his a Yallop favourite and the captain of the squad. Even if he does reach it, I still think all four previously mentioned players will surpass him when he retires (or even sooner).

quote:Originally posted by Rudi

Reading through the 'all-time best Canadian' thread, somebody mentioned that Randy Samuel holds the men's caps record (82), and it got me to thinking about who has the best chance of breaking that record.

The active player with the most caps is Stalteri at an even 50, but at 28 years old one has to wonder if he'll get another 32 caps, especially given that he's oddly earned only 3 in the Yallop era.

Brennan is next at 41 caps, but he's the same age as Stalteri. Unlike Paul, his spot on the roster is not as secure - he's got healthy competition from Simpson, Jazic and Klukowski for his preferred positions (LM or LB). I'd say it's even less likely that Jimmy reaches Samuel's milestone than Stalteri.

The top four candidates for setting the new caps mark are:

Atiba Hutchinson (17 caps) - This guy is the heart and soul of the team already, and my defacto pick for the all-time caps record (when it's all said and done). I wouldn't be surprised to see Atiba break the 100 cap mark before he retires from the national team.

Jaime Peters (11 caps) - If one were to look purely at age and number of caps already won, then Peters may be the favourite for the crown. At 18 he's already a Yallop favourite, and will improve at Ipswich to the point where he will be an automatic starter on the national team in 3-4 years time.

Josh Simpson (12 caps) - 22, and looks to be forcing his way into the starting spot at LM. Plus, he can play LB in a pinch.

Iain Hume (13 caps) - The competition at his position is a little tougher to crack, but hopefully his move up to the Championship will allow Hume to flourish to the point of becoming a guaranteed starter for Canada.

My wildcard pick is Kevin McKenna (31 caps), who's 25, but for a defender that is very young. He may reach Samuel's record before the four mentioned above, given that he his a Yallop favourite and the captain of the squad. Even if he does reach it, I still think all four previously mentioned players will surpass him when he retires (or even sooner).

I think if Canada would've made the hex this year, Stalteri would've been a sure thing. Now it's tough to say if he has a shot. He's pretty devoted to Canada, and I expect him to have a lengthy career. Players in his position have a better career length than a striker for example.

McKenna is the probably the front runner at this point, as he always seems to accept the call and is only 25. He will not be that age dependent either -- speed isn't really his game right now anyway.

The other guys you mention have a good chance of being our most capped player ever, but I think McKenna will probably break Samuel's record first. Then one of those guys will eventually break McKenna's record.

Jason

Nobody.

Maybe, and just a big fat maybe, one of the younger guns. But as they are all of European quality I dought much that they're going to average 6-8 internationals per year for their entire playing careers.

Big Kev might have had we managed the hex the last couple of go arounds. And barring injury, he ALWAYS comes when asked. Brave lad.

Wow. That's a Hell of a lot of caps.

I think it will be a defender who breaks the cap record of Randy Samuel. As is the case with most national sides. Once Yallop figures out who he likes best, I suspect that he will go consistantly with that/those same player(s)in central defence. And, those players vying for those central defence are young enough to play for a long time. Unlike other positions, speed and quickness is not as essential in central defence. Therefore you can play much longer.

It is really hard to say if any of these players will have a shot at 82 caps because so much depends on the success of the team. Win more matches, play more matches. I'm hopeful (or crazy) enough to believe that we should at least make the Hex next time around, which gives an extra 10 or so matches to the 2010 WCQ generation of players. If Peters does prove to be more than an early bloomer (and I do think he will become a quality player for a long time) then my money is on him.

I don't think anyone will break Samuel's record until Canada gets its own professional league. With players scattered all over the world, it's just too hard to get the team together for games. When the team does play, the best players are often missing because of club commitments. More likely it'll be an A-League or MLS player, or someone who plays for a lower-division in Europe, as they are more consistently available for meaningless friendlies and the Gold Cup.

Archived