Some audio memories of Blizzard vs. Sting

dbailey62

This is a brief audio segment from the final NASL match ever played (at Varsity Stadium) featuring the Blizzard and the Sting in game 2 of the best of 3 NASL final. This mp3 features the two Toronto goals and should rekindle some memories.

I get chills when I listen to this .... and listen to that crowd.

We lost 3-2 but I prefer to forget that.

db

http://s40.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=30O4V2T2NPK340OD3F5IKH0SKX

Yes, fantastic stuff. How great it would be if those days could return here.

I was a young member (12 years old) of that crowd, I can still recall Bettega running to the sidelines right in front of where I was sitting and sliding down the grass to be congratulated by his teammates.

If anyone can listen to that clip and still think that properly-marketed & run pro soccer couldn't work in Toronto, you have my deepest sympathies.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

I was a young member (12 years old) of that crowd, I can still recall Bettega running to the sidelines right in front of where I was sitting and sliding down the grass to be congratulated by his teammates.

If anyone can listen to that clip and still think that properly-marketed & run pro soccer couldn't work in Toronto, you have my deepest sympathies.

Yes, we've got to get those days back. I obviously put this up to remind people what it was like back in the early 80's. We need this so badly.

I was in H-Block with the Supporters Club and watching Bettega, so clinically, slot the ball just inside the far post is a memory permanently engrained in my mind. That comeback was something else and to lose it on a crappy deflected shot was tragic.

.... and was it Spalding who knocked out Granitza after the game?

db

Yes, we've got to get those days back. I obviously put this up to remind people what it was like back in the early 80's. We need this so badly.

I was in H-Block with the Supporters Club and watching Bettega, so clinically, slot the ball just inside the far post is a memory permanently engrained in my mind. That comeback was something else and to lose it on a crappy deflected shot was tragic.

db

quote:Originally posted by dbailey62

db

To be honest I don't remember any of that (not saying it didn't happen of course, just don't recall it). I remember the crappy deflected goal well unfortunately, as well as the two Blizzard goals though I always thought it was Byrne who got the first (IIRC a header that bounced off the ground first before going in). My other strong memory of that night was having a guy behind me the whole night shouting stuff like "Hey Rojas, Go Back to Mexico and Smoke Some Marijuana!!!!" the whole night after the Sting player. You might have heard him as well as we weren't sitting too far from the supporter's club (a little closer to the field, to their right).

They used to play clips of those two goals on TV the following year for the INEX Canada games that were played. Remember those?

To be honest I don't remember any of that (not saying it didn't happen of course, just don't recall it). I remember the crappy deflected goal well unfortunately, as well as the two Blizzard goals though I always thought it was Byrne who got the first (IIRC a header that bounced off the ground first before going in). My other strong memory of that night was having a guy behind me the whole night shouting stuff like "Hey Rojas, Go Back to Mexico and Smoke Some Marijuana!!!!" the whole night after the Sting player. You might have heard him as well as we weren't sitting too far from the supporter's club (a little closer to the field, to their right).

They used to play clips of those two goals on TV the following year for the INEX Canada games that were played. Remember those?

Ya I remember those Inex games quite well. Didn't that guy end up in jail?

Anyway, what a shame it was to see Everton playing in front of 3000 fans. Good teams came over. They didn't publicize well though. That was when the Blizzard were in hibernation.

I recall an Everton player saying that any one of the players from Canada (it was a three team tourney with Inex, Everton and Canada) could play in the First Division (when it really was the first division).

db

Archived