WCQ - Interzone Playoffs [R]

DJT

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unlike most here I suspect, I was really strongly pushing for T&T (though let me restate my strong dislike for Jack Warner). I was eating patties and drinking Carib. Didn't do any good.

I'd heard how great they were playing under Beenhaker and how disciplined they were. Either that was totally bogus, they reverted or they choked. Their back line looked really unsettled and were losing hit and hope balls and the quick Bahrain midfield won a lot of loose balls, esp in the first half. I thought Whiteley had a great second half and Carlos Edwards was good in the first (though why he kept trying to cross when no one was in the box was beyond me). John had no support and no service and the tall Bahrain sweeper just owned him in the air. Latapy looked tired and so did Yorke. I figured in one-off game like this at home they'd throw all they had, but it looked like they didn't have much left. It was telling that Scotland did more in his time than I thought either of the other two did in theirs.

Strangely once Bahrain scored, T&T settled down better and took the game to Bahrain and it was a sweet strike by Birchall, but that Bahrain keeper is something else. He nearly stopped that one too. I thought T&T were the better team, but I think it will be a much different story in Bahrain and I think T&T choked at home again.

The Wednesday leg is supposed to be on here, but I'm pretty sure the Luxembourg game clashes at least a little.

cheers,

matthew

quote:Originally posted by DJT

An Australia-Bahrain flight can't be much shorter. The straight-line distance between them is about 12,500km, versus about 11,800km for Australia-Uruguay.

However, the way things are, Bahrain and T&T also have to travel great distances, so having Australia vs. Bahrain and T&T vs. Uruguay would at least make it better for two of the teams. But Australia would still be in the same position no matter who they play.

That's true, but keep in mind that, in the other scenerio, Australia - Bahrain and T&T v Uruguay would almost be a worse-case scenerio when it comes to amount of travel for all nations involved. The 4 playoff teams could've been Australia, China, T&T, Colombia, for instance.

(And Australia - Bahrain is still better than Australia - Uruguay since there are 7 fewer time-zones to cross).

Saw the game too. I think T&T were suffering from nerves. I think in hostile territory they might actually do better.

What I found amazing was that I would never have thought that Bahrain would dominate T&T in the air, but they certainly did so.

And YES DJT, they did in fact show the game on FSWC after repeatedly informing us throughout the week that it would be on the US version only.

quote:Originally posted by Ed

And YES DJT, they did in fact show the game on FSWC after repeatedly informing us throughout the week that it would be on the US version only.

And yet, when I checked FSWC's schedule on FSC's website on Friday, it stated that the game was on. I fully expect the return leg on Wednesday will also be on FSWC (11am EST).

Watching Australia-Uruguary and hoping I don't have to leave before the outcome is decided. I've just changed my mind about how much impact a world class Coach can have.

It seems that Hiddink has all Australian players bought in, not to mention fans and media. It seems he has already won over Australia. As the play-by-play announcers have said, if Australia wins, he will be a legend in Australia. They say that his impact on the team is so obvious. The crowd is awesome. It only makes me wonder what Canada could do with a true master.

Followed the game on MatchTracker but found that there was a live video link. It kept shorting out and I missed the Alosi goal.:(

More fitting to Alosi, who played in the EPL and Serie A and now plays in La Liga.

Aussie Aussie Aussie! Oi oi oi!

:D

Just watched the game myself of Sky in Japan...beautiful win...real passion and heart...Uruguay looked deflated and lost from the second half onwards...Viduka was the only miss for Australia but Schwartzer was the hero...wow, even I was cheering for Oz...and I hate most of the arrogant macho bastards...but I mean does anybody remember Uruguay doing anything in the last World Cup...Go On Oz!!!

just saw game on GOLTV free preview. pitch was beautiful. stadium was packed - 84k I believe. lighting was great - couldn't tell it was night in Sydney. Game was tense.

Aussies generally had run of play. After seeing their defensive lapses during Confed play, they actually looked respectable in their zone.

And this time they didn't blow it at the end. Congrats!! My only regret is that it reminds me that Canada isn't there.........

quote:Originally posted by red card

just saw game on GOLTV free preview. pitch was beautiful. stadium was packed - 84k I believe. lighting was great - couldn't tell it was night in Sydney. Game was tense.

Aussies generally had run of play. After seeing their defensive lapses during Confed play, they actually looked respectable in their zone.

And this time they didn't blow it at the end. Congrats!! My only regret is that it reminds me that Canada isn't there.........

Really, NOT a surprising result. After watching the first-leg I'm surprised it took Australia penalties in order to show their superiority. They're clearly the better squad. They'll be dangerous in the world cup thanks to a world-class manager and a shade-below-world-class player in Tim Cahill.

Switzerland and Australia: those are my dark-horses to reach the quarterfinals of the world cup. [8D]

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

Really, NOT a surprising result. After watching the first-leg I'm surprised it took Australia penalties in order to show their superiority. They're clearly the better squad. They'll be dangerous in the world cup thanks to a world-class manager and a shade-below-world-class player in Tim Cahill.

Switzerland and Australia: those are my dark-horses to reach the quarterfinals of the world cup. [8D]

Terry Vennables did all the Donkey Work in Australia.

Congrats to the Aussies, their return appearance at the World Cup was long overdue.

From what I saw of the T&T & Bahrain match on the weekend, neither of these teams deserve to be going to the WC instead of Uruguay, Ireland, Denmark, Russia, Belgium, Cameroon and a whole bunch of other countries I could name if I had a map of the world handy.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Congrats to the Aussies, their return appearance at the World Cup was long overdue.

From what I saw of the T&T & Bahrain match on the weekend, neither of these teams deserve to be going to the WC instead of Uruguay, Ireland, Denmark, Russia, Belgium, Cameroon and a whole bunch of other countries I could name if I had a map of the world handy.

True. In Bahrain we're talking about a team that lost four matches in-a-row at one point in AFC qualifying. Overall they are winless in their last 7 WCQ matches (make it 8 if you count the match that was replayed).

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

From what I saw of the T&T & Bahrain match on the weekend

G-L, don't think your impression will have changed after that pathetic display in the first half of the return leg. This is a World Cup Qualifier? What a bad advertisement for the game. Dreadfull.

Geez, the announcers are still going on about this "controversial incident". For those that didn't see it, the Bahrain player kicked the ball away while the T&T keeper was in the process of a drop-kick. There was no contact made, but that's irrelevant. Boring as the rule might be, you can't take the ball away from the keeper unless he drops it to the ground. You can't even take it away from him if he's bouncing it.

Second half was much better than the first.

Well the fact that the 4th (half) spot is likely safe for this region in 2010 is about the only thing that's not making me sick to my stomach right now about T&T's qualification. Though Bahrain were so poor that if they had qualified I'd probably be sick to my stomach about that as well. Can't ever recall a lighter road for a non-defending chamption team to make it to the World Cup.

The cheating Turks go down on the away-goals rule. Pretty tense match. It shouldn't have been this close but the referee went for every dive the Turks took.

so... only 4 Asian teams in the World cup 2006. That's plenty enough but it could've been worse. Next WC there will only be 3 Asian teams qualifying as Australia will be in AFC and Turkey will still suck! :D

quote:Originally posted by amacpher

The cheating Turks go down on the away-goals rule. Pretty tense match. It shouldn't have been this close but the referee went for every dive the Turks took.

so... only 4 Asian teams in the World cup 2006. That's plenty enough but it could've been worse. Next WC there will only be 3 Asian teams qualifying as Australia will be in AFC and Turkey will still suck! :D

Keeping the tradition of a team in a Thirde Place play-off failing to qualify for the following World Cup.

1986; France V Belgium (France Fail to Qualify in 1990).

1990; Italy V England (England Fail to Qualify in 1994).

1994; Sweden V Bulgaria (Sweden fail to Qualify in 1998).

1998; Croatia V Holland (Holland fail to Qualify in 2002).

2002; Turkey V South Korea (Turkey fail to Qualify in 2006).

Archived